Skinning jedi_hm separate files. Clean up folder.

I've started to do my own skins. Basic stuff. I've followed the different guides how to make your basic skin with colors and adding text etc. I feel that this is really fun and want to learn more about it. So i got one problem that i need to know how to fix.

When your playing JKA u can choose custom pick model, like "Human Male" and "Rodian Male". Then u can pick your clothes and stuff together by yourself. Easy. However when i try to make a skin of "Human Male" i need to somehow separate the files because everything that has to do with "Human Male" is in the same folder "jedi_hm" in assets1>models>players etc. So basically every torso, legs and head for "Human Male" are there. But i only want to choose some of them.

So my problem is

I want to simply choose my model to look like this below and edit the texture as i've before with other models. This image below is ModView and there u can easy choose to pick your own parts of the body textures. So i'm only showing you guys how i want my char to actually look.

aurora.png

So, i hope i've explained well. I want to have knowledge how to clean up my model folder to only have the selected textures part i want. Then i want to delete the less important stuff i don't need. This is no problem when i choose the "Galak" model to reskin, because everything in that folder is already cleaned up with special selected textures. If someone is unsure what i'm trying to explain, just open the "jedi_hm" folder in assets1>models>players>jedi_hm and u will see how confusing it can be for a newbie like me.

Here's an easy way to do it:

Make a separate folder called whatever you want. I'll call it aurora, assuming that's what you want.

Now go back to the original folder and you need to look in the .skin files (opened with a text editor like NotePad) of the parts you want to keep of the model. Every line that has a file path (models/players/jedi_hm/texture.jpg) is the file that it uses. So go through the folder and copy those files and paste them into the aurora folder. Make sure you do it for head_b1.skin, torso_b1.skin, and lower_a1.skin. Those are what is pictured in your post.

So you have the textures, now you need those .skin files in that folder. Copy them over to aurora. Now you need to change the path so the game and modview know your textures are in the aurora folder. So go through those .skin files and change each path to say "aurora" instead of "jedi_hm". I always use the Find and Replace feature for this, it's much faster. Do that to each file.

You need to combine those skin files to make a default skin file. In NotePad, open a new document and open the three .skin files. Copy and paste all the text from each file into your new document. Do it in order from head, torso, and lower. Make sure there isn't a blank line at the top. Now save your document as "model_default.skin" (not .txt) and save in your aurora folder.

Now you also need the model file so find "model.glm" in the jedi_hm folder and copy that over.

If you want your model to show up in the SP menu, keep the head, torso, and lower skin files in your folder and find the corresponding icon files that match up with your choices. So select icon_head_b1.jpg, icon_torso_b1.jpg, and icon_lower_a1.jpg. Copy them over to aurora as well. Then copy over player choice.txt

In order to make your model show up in the MP menu, you need an icon for the model_default.skin you made. This can be one of the ones you just copied over to your folder, or you can make one. If you make one, make sure the size of it is 128 X 128 pixels.

I think that's it. If I forget something, someone else chime in.

Aurora Loran likes this

Here's an easy way to do it:

Make a separate folder called whatever you want. I'll call it aurora, assuming that's what you want.

Now go back to the original folder and you need to look in the .skin files (opened with a text editor like NotePad) of the parts you want to keep of the model. Every line that has a file path (models/players/jedi_hm/texture.jpg) is the file that it uses. So go through the folder and copy those files and paste them into the aurora folder. Make sure you do it for head_b1.skin, torso_b1.skin, and lower_a1.skin. Those are what is pictured in your post.

So you have the textures, now you need those .skin files in that folder. Copy them over to aurora. Now you need to change the path so the game and modview know your textures are in the aurora folder. So go through those .skin files and change each path to say "aurora" instead of "jedi_hm". I always use the Find and Replace feature for this, it's much faster. Do that to each file.

You need to combine those skin files to make a default skin file. In NotePad, open a new document and open the three .skin files. Copy and paste all the text from each file into your new document. Do it in order from head, torso, and lower. Make sure there isn't a blank line at the top. Now save your document as "model_default.skin" (not .txt) and save in your aurora folder.

Now you also need the model file so find "model.glm" in the jedi_hm folder and copy that over.

If you want your model to show up in the SP menu, keep the head, torso, and lower skin files in your folder and find the corresponding icon files that match up with your choices. So select icon_head_b1.jpg, icon_torso_b1.jpg, and icon_lower_a1.jpg. Copy them over to aurora as well. Then copy over player choice.txt

In order to make your model show up in the MP menu, you need an icon for the model_default.skin you made. This can be one of the ones you just copied over to your folder, or you can make one. If you make one, make sure the size of it is 128 X 128 pixels.

I think that's it. If I forget something, someone else chime in.

Sounds a lot like how you go about doing a similar thing on the Source Engine, it can be very tedious having to direct files and paths in the, as they call it, .QC file.  Had many hours of fun with that, textures not showing because i didn't point something to the right folder xD

Aurora Loran likes this