Setting up dedicated server

This definitely might sound like a broken record, but this is yet another "my server name isn't showing up on the master list" issue. I've been scouring the interwebs for other resources, and I have looked into this forum in past threads, but alas every situation is unique.

However, I think it might have to do with how I set everything up (or didn't set everything up).

I have my config file with all the necessary tidbits there (I can post it if anyone needs to see for themself). I opened up my ports. My firewall is letting it through. I start up the server and play (I use the same laptop to play on the server) and when I check the console, it says the server is disconnected (or not online, whatever the exact verbatim is).

The hearbeats are being sent, and that part looks normal with all the yellow typing (the proper name for it escapes me at the moment).

And then I realized I may be confused about some things.

There's setting up a dedicated server for JKA and then setting up one for JKA Plus. The latter needs some more things, doesn't it? I got confused overthinking about it a while ago. If I want to make it a JKA Plus server, wouldn't I need to copy the config file into the base of JKA Plus, not the regular JKA base? And wouldn't the config file have differences too? Regardless though, I had my friends check the regular JKA master list and it wasn't showing up. So either way, something's not quite right.

One thing I'm definitely confused about in the config file is setting the max rate and the max client. There's supposedly some equation to calculate? But even if I don't have that right, is that enough to not make the server run?