Issues I have

the_raven

So I reinstalled OpenJK and JA++, everything works more or less fine, except that I get some issues:

• In the 'Create a game' menu, whenever I select a bot, the name 'HUMAN' is stuck atop of the bot name, and it obstructs the reading. It's a minor issue, but it's there.
  • When I select bots #6 and #8, their names are also displayed on #11 and #13 accordingly. #11 and #13 are otherwise normally selectable, except there are now three names atop one another!
  • The bot 'Skill' option - the name of the skill itself keeps constantly flashing, though otherwise, it works fine.
  • TFA mode disappeared. Instead the modes are 'Team Deathmatch', 'Siege', 'Capture the Flag', 'Capture the Ysalamiri', 'Free For All', 'Holocron', 'Jedi Master', 'Duel', 'Power Duel', and 'Cooperative'.
  • When I select 'Team Deathmatch' the kill limit is called 'Duel limit', and the Duel mode has a 'Kill limit'. I actually have to change the kill limit on Duel mode so that TDm has a proper kill limit.
  • 'Holocron', 'Capture the Ysalimiri', 'Cooperative' have no maps, and apparently there aren't any to download either on here, or on mrwonko's.
  • There are no 'One hit kill', 'Hydroball' and '(Swoop) Race' modes - I know there aren't supposed to be, but there are maps for those modes, so why not?
  • I can't 'kick' or 'change map' during the match anymore, it tells me 'Invalid vote string. Allowed vote strings are: allready'
  • 'Jedi Master' mode prompts the players to catch the lightsaber, but whenever I approach it, nothing happens, it just lies there, and I can't activate or pick it up.

The way I see it, there's an overlapping of string files, but why is it happening? Shouldn't the game just use one at a time? But if not this, then what might be the issue? Need I delete something in the OpenJK folder?

Smoo likes this

Yea that's what I ment by actually from MP window. I got no idea why it does that all I know it happens to me also. My only workaround was running it as a dedicated server, open JKA MP application then open the console and connect localhost.

• 2 weeks later...

Ooh, just saw this now.

> I can't 'kick' or 'change map' during the match anymore, it tells me 'Invalid vote string. Allowed vote strings are: allready'
g_allowVote is now a bit-value that lets you enable/disable specific votes. Your cfg is still using value 1. Check out the calculator

> TFA mode disappeared. Instead the modes are 'Team Deathmatch', 'Siege', 'Capture the Flag', 'Capture the Ysalamiri', 'Free For All', 'Holocron', 'Jedi Master', 'Duel', 'Power Duel', and 'Cooperative'.
Gametype names are inconsistent around the place, but I've changed this back to "Team FFA" in the code now.
"Team Deathmatch" = TFFA
"Saga" = Siege
"Single Player" = Co-op (broken/unfinished)

> 'Holocron', 'Capture the Ysalimiri', 'Cooperative' have no maps, and apparently there aren't any to download either on here, or on mrwonko's.
Hmm. Ideally Holocron should be using maps available in FFA, CTY should use CTF, JM should use FFA and cooperative should use SP maps.
Looks like Holocron wasn't using FFA maps, but I've fixed this now.
For reference, this is generally determined by the `type` keyword in `scripts/blah.arena`. There are some hacks in the code for e.g. JM to use maps tagged with "ffa".

> There are no 'One hit kill', 'Hydroball' and '(Swoop) Race' modes - I know there aren't supposed to be, but there are maps for those modes, so why not?
There is an instagib mode (instagib.cfg) and plans for a race/defrag mode.
These almost certainly won't be added as extra gametypes because of compatibility, but they will be playable within another gametype (usually ffa).

> 'Jedi Master' mode prompts the players to catch the lightsaber, but whenever I approach it, nothing happens, it just lies there, and I can't activate or pick it up.
Bah. This used to work. I'll create an issue.

Most of these issues sound like a combination of old/broken menus (maintaining menus is not my idea of fun) and UI gametype translation gone wrong (as a result of exposing more options to the menus) - UI keeps its own list of gametypes and translates them to g_gametype values.
I'll create an issue to investigate gametype translation issues.
Also make sure you launch with `+set fs_game "japlus"` so the code for the JA++ UI is loaded.

Created issues 425, 426

Smoo likes this

After some digging, a bunch of those server creation menu bugs will probably require new menu asets.

Original menus have hardcoded checks only for the gametypes that were originally available. Exposing the new gametypes means we have to adjust those checks by making new menus.

Found the culprit: one of my "let's clean up the code!" commits. It simplified some things, but broke the base menus 4 years ago. Looks like the easiest "fix" will be to write new menus, giving us better control over the new gametypes too.

the_raven and Smoo like this

Found the culprit: one of my "let's clean up the code!" commits. It simplified some things, but broke the base menus 4 years ago. Looks like the easiest "fix" will be to write new menus, giving us better control over the new gametypes too.

And when can we expect that then?

Edit: Another issue I came across - the 'Saber only' option doesn't work. Regardless of what I set, the games still have guns.

• 2 weeks later...