Star Wars Galaxies - A History Lesson

I tried the emulator last year. It misses some aspects of the original though, but nevertheless is quite enjoyable. There were two servers as far as I remember, one being a test platform, where you can try all the game mechanics, develop your character (quickly), explore the skills, objects, trade and NPCs, as well as travel to various peculiar locations, such as Tatooine, Yavin IV, Corellia, Kashyyk and Naboo. Actually there were many!

I didn't play the game at the time of it's active life though, only tried the demo, by creating an explorer and participating in a few quests aboard the space station. So the emulator was a lot of fun for me only for some time, it was a bit difficult for me to enjoy some things there.

People often compare it to Star Wars The Old Republic. The two games are actually quite different, although in SWTOR I like more the level design and dialogues, while Galaxies seem to be far superior in terms of individualism of the Players and a very personal approach for fans. From the early days of the SWG, the online MMORPG allowed characters to play the game on different sides, but it wasn't that important to follow a strict plot line, you could make Star Wars adventure very special for you and your friends. With the introduction of Houses, you could make not just your personal apartments, but start a small town on Tatooine, with mayor and shops. This one is perhaps among my favourite, even though I am not much into houses.

I guess, there is no need to explain, that Jedi Knight Galaxies was in many ways inspired by the Galaxies, especially when you walk through the streets of Mos Kreetle. Really good things die hard ;)

I won't hide, that Galaxies affected me in many ways too, when I work on my own projects.

P.S. Anchorhead is probably the only original location in both The Old Republic and Star Wars Galaxies to be explorable by Players. You also visit it in KOTOR. All three are seen on screenshots below.

Anchorhead.jpg

ed3297562be09d93c5d8fdbfdf391f6f.jpg

%D0%90%D0%BD%D0%BA%D0%BE%D1%80%D1%85%D0%

Cerez likes this