[red]These instructions are no longer correct. See the post below this one.[/red]

JKG has some fairly complicated installation instructions, so listen carefully.

You will first need to set up a folder structure outside of your JA installation. For the sake of this tutorial, I will name mine C:/JediKnightGalaxies. Make another folder named "JKG" inside of this (so C:/JediKnightGalaxies/JKG).

Next, you will need the assets, which should be available in the news subforum (once they're available). You should always keep the assets as up-to-date as possible, but servers will not enforce asset version requirements (yet). Once you get the assets, place them into your JKG folder (C:/JediKnightGalaxies/JKG)

You'll now need the binaries. Again, they can be found in the news subforum. Place these inside your folder structure (C:/JediKnightGalaxies). If you don't have the latest binaries, any servers you try to join WILL complain about it and you won't be able to join them.

After this, you will need to rename the RENAME_ME.bat that comes with the binaries. Give it a nice name like Launch_JKG.bat. You'll need to edit it as well. Here's what it will look like:

echo "You have not edited the batch file!!"
# jkgalaxies.x86.exe +set fs_game "JKG" +set fs_homepath "." +set fs_cdpath "." +set fs_basepath "<THE PATH TO YOUR JA GAMEDATA HERE>"

You need to paste the path to your JA "Gamedata" folder where it says so. If you're using Steam, this defaults to:

C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Jedi Academy/Gamedata

or for the CD version,

C:/Program Files (x86)/Lucasarts/Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy/Gamedata

Lastly, you need to remove the echo line and the # in the front of the .bat file. Here's an example of the .bat file for a Steam user after everything is said and done:

jkgalaxies.x86.exe +set fs_game "JKG" +set fs_homepath "." +set fs_cdpath "." +set fs_basepath "C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Jedi Academy/Gamedata"

Good! Now you can run the game through the .bat file, but you must run in administrator mode.

JKG will not modify anything in your Jedi Academy installation folder. Everything (screenshots, etc) will be in your folder structure.

yeyo JK likes this
  • 8 months later...