Another JAO fix: doom_detention gun works, just needs to be moved a tiny bit

Hi, not sure if this is the correct forum to place this, but I wanted to give a PSA for those that use JAO mod and are disappointed by its bugs. Didn't see a solved discussion on this small but glaring issue.

In order for the gun on doom_detention to work (the one where you get to shoot down tie fighters in a minigame), you only have to move the misc_panel_turret entity's origin by +5 on the y-axis. What I think was happening was that it was so close to the wall of the ship, the generated bolts were actually impacting on the wall it was next to. So if you do that, the bolts will now travel out and hit the ships, enabling you to complete the minigame.

This doesn't fix the bug that the green bolts that should pop out from the gun appear invisible, but that just seems to be an entirely different bug, one that also afflicts the Lady Luck's gun in ns_starpad. Perhaps one day I'll see what causes that.

Linken likes this
  • 4 weeks later...

I wanted to do an update on this, just so its on record.

The issue with the invisible bolts lies in the code itself, specifically in g_turret and cg_weapons. You have to change the FindItemForWeapon's input in SP_misc_panel_turret method to WP_TIE_FIGHTER. It was still looking for WP_EMPLACED_GUN, from the last game... As well, the hud will glitch out if you change this, so in cg_weapons, you have to add the appropriate FxSchedulers for that. All of them can be found prexisting with the WP_EMPLACED_GUN's FxSchedulers. Then it works perfectly for all turrets.

To get the turret in ns_starpad to be consistent with its fire (which I found it is NOT, no wonder that section is a little difficult), move the gun_down ref tag by -5 on the z-axis.

Voila!

Linken likes this