Any Possibility Ja Can Look Like A Modern Game?

^ sorry, Safari or jkhub forum engine makes all words starting from uppercase letter

Hey.

I found these videos on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTneqBS1gPFqajB6KE4IH-A

Wow-wow-wow, there's bumpmapping, reflections, water with waves and so on!

Wonderful, isn't it?

(when i had tried to use rend2, it had only sun shadows and autobumpmapping... and crashes on almost all maps)

And there's foliage, grass, postprocessing and so on in the warzone mod's rend2! Amazing too.

Sooo... there are two questions:

1. It is known it is meaningless to try to remake JA on other engines: Disney will kill it. So there's only one way to get JA with good graphics: to change JA.

How do you think, will JA ever look like some of modern games now (UE, Unity, CryEngine, etc)? /please answer only if you really know why you think so/

What do they use for realistic result image except for things made in rend2 already? High-poly models? SSAO (yea, I don't know whether it is in rend2)? Will JA community ever made them all?

2. Maybe somebody of you, reading this post, wants to make a mod for ja sp / mp maps / models with new shaders for everything? Shaders with reflections and bumpmapping for metal, for rocks, for everything we meet in game! Shaders for water with waves and reflections! Shaders for stormtroopers with reflections!

Just imagine this amazing image: real grass on yavin4 maps. Real water on yavin4 and h_evil with waves and reflections. Your playermodel reflection in the metal wall on Coruscant. JA with modern graphics. Everywhere.

It deserves a little bit of work, doesn't it?

And sorry for my mistakes in English :P. My native lang is very different.

This is all done by @@SomaZ, mostly helping out the DF2 mod but will be released outside of it too for others to use. We're mostly developing side by side since our team has artists who can produce content that would take advantage of the new render engine. Using this render engine alone will not be enough, all the assets will have to be redone to fit a PBR pipeline.

I know there is the rend2 project for improve graphical engine library of JKA. when it will be finished, JKA will be competitive with modern games.

the next step i will guess is to allow engine to process HD MD3 models, GLM, Shaders and also maybe a GTK radiant version powerful like NET radiant that allow JA. i tryied net radiant but JA is not on the game list that can be modded with this radiant upgrade.

(used by lok fans for make a 3d remake of blood omen in HD, blood omnicide, with great results )

Into the time, you can try some beatiful maps like

blueice nightfall and atlantica , downloadable here. they have bumpmapping etc and are very High quality maps.

This is all done by @@SomaZ, mostly helping out the DF2 mod but will be released outside of it too for others to use. We're mostly developing side by side since our team has artists who can produce content that would take advantage of the new render engine. Using this render engine alone will not be enough, all the assets will have to be redone to fit a PBR pipeline.

Since when I'm not part of the DF2 mod team anymore?_? 

@@Keyten Yea, this is my youtube channel. It shows some stuff I've implemented in GL2 (rend2 sp port by DT85). To clarify some things. Bump-mapping is not supported, only normal-mapping. Height can be used too, but this is for parallax-mapping. TBH we won't get to the point where jka looks like cryengine or ue4. Maybe somewhat close, but still not the same. This is simply because I'm currently the only gl2 developer and do this in my spare free time. Also I'm still learning all of this, so this is not simply writing the render code but learning by doing, which often results in trial and error. If you want to make gl2 compatible materials, you could check out some PBR texturing tutorials on the web.

@@Asgarath83 I didn't know atlantica had compiled normal-mapping in it. Never noticed it.

Since when I'm not part of the DF2 mod team anymore?_? 

@@Keyten Yea, this is my youtube channel. It shows some stuff I've implemented in GL2 (rend2 sp port by DT85). To clarify some things. Bump-mapping is not supported, only normal-mapping. Height can be used too, but this is for parallax-mapping. TBH we won't get to the point where jka looks like cryengine or ue4. Maybe somewhat close, but still not the same. This is simply because I'm currently the only gl2 developer and do this in my spare free time. Also I'm still learning all of this, so this is not simply writing the render code but learning by doing, which often results in trial and error. If you want to make gl2 compatible materials, you could check out some PBR texturing tutorials on the web.

@@Asgarath83 I didn't know atlantica had compiled normal-mapping in it. Never noticed it.

bumpmapping atlantica no. blueice get it.

atlantica is cool for glasses, water and skybox. :3

are you a coder?

• 3 weeks later...

What about using modeled meshes to build maps? Much like it's done in Unreal Engine or Unity? There's only so much you can do with Radiant. No matter how hard mappers try, map geometry created with Radiant still looks like cheap props.

What about using modeled meshes to build maps? Much like it's done in Unreal Engine or Unity? There's only so much you can do with Radiant. No matter how hard mappers try, map geometry created with Radiant still looks like cheap props.

I exchanged some ideas with @@AshuraDX about this. Let's say we found a way to achieve this. Right now it's experimental, but you will hear about it in the near future. :)

I exchanged some ideas with @@AshuraDX about this. Let's say we found a way to achieve this. Right now it's experimental, but you will hear about it in the near future. :)

Count me in for testing. I was going over the DF mod and I didn't realize how repetitive and plain they looked. I know the mappers where really good, but the limitations of trying to model stuff with Radiant are just too great to overcome with talent alone. It's not only about modern rendering techniques, although it's awesome to have them, but having the tools to make more complex designs that it's going to make this old game look more on par with modern games. All the parallax mapping and the ambient occlusion in the world won't make up for how "square-ish" levels look when using only brushes.

Archangel35757 likes this

But why keep screwing with light maps? Wouldn't it be better to invest time into dynamic lighting and shadows?

Because it is a logical thing? With that, everyone can have a piece of the cake. Base JKA modders, DF2 modders, even Q3 modders. Dynamic lights btw will be included in the workflow. With this, we will be able to preview lighting without the need to compile the map, which will save a lot of time. Now enough, be patient! :)

@@Corto Well the Blender format is .blend, but it can import everything we need. I will explain the workflow, when its ready to use. I think there is a maya preset in Blender.

Smoo and Psyk0Sith like this