Looking for a Custom Mission Creator (Willing to pay a small fee)..

Ok, people..

I'm currently looking for someone who's got experience and knows what they're doing, when it comes to making/creating custom missions. What I'm proposing, is a custom mission for one of the base game missions in the Single Player of JKA, as trying to use a new map on a current base game mission would just be too difficult and likely to cause too many problems.

Now, I'm a BIG sucker for accuracy and one of the biggest things in the campaign of JKA, that I've always found off-putting is the "t2_rogue" map. This is the mission where you are on Coruscant and have to Capture the Crimelord and defeat around 3 or 4 of his Assassin Droids, in the process. Now, for me.. The map used for that mission (which is supposed to represent Coruscant) is VERY dated (and for some unfortunate reason) not very accurate to the look of the Coruscant world, considering there were actually 2 Star Wars prequel movies released prior, that gave us a good feel and look of what Coruscant looked like, before JKA was released.

I have a map I plan on using for this mod.. As quite frankly, it's currently the best and well-made map, looks-wise. That map can be found here: https://jkhub.org/files/file/162-sjc-coruscant-adventures-pack-night-and-day/ (which is actually by creator @JCulley3D)

NEW Coruscant map
Vgai3Pb.jpg

Base Coruscant map
t2_rogue.jpg

What I'm looking for, is a recreation of the mission (as close as possible) from "t2_rogue" (Coruscant - Capture the Crimelord) on that new map but obviously, in a custom way. I understand how much time and effort this would take, which is why (as stated in the thread title) that I'd be willing to pay a small fee for the hard-work, time and effort put into the project. As I know things like this don't come cheap or easy.

If you're interested in this project and would perhaps like to discuss ideas, as I have a pretty good grasp of the interesting way the mission could be done, then feel free to discuss, below..

Thanks!
Cerez and NumberWan like this

The pk3 file not contain the map source file, and is not possible to edit a map of a developer without his permission.

So, for making this project without stolen work, or without become crazy to rebuild light and uvmapping of the new coruscant map,

you and the peoples that desire to help you need to contact directly @JCulley3D  , and ask his permission for use his map, and also ask his original .MAP file for rebuild the map after you place the triggers and entitites.

Cerez, eezstreet and Lazarus like this

I agree with @@Asgarath83 that SJC should be asked for permission first before embarking on this project, however there may be a way to accomplish this without having to edit the source, simply with script work. That being said, scripting a mission in JKA is tedious any way you look at it. But I like this idea very much. You're actually tempting me to step back into JKA modding. :P

What would be my compensation for my time spent on developing this? Hit me with a PM. I may be interested if it feeds me while working. You've certainly captured my creative interest.

Darth Sion likes this

I like this project. for me too coruscant on JKA is really odd. seems more another planet... more a good version of nar shaddaa that a corcuscant style.

but there are two problems:

is possible to edit it with entmodding, but it's hard to do because ent modding not allows to put trigger and func and other brush entities.

example... the intro cinematic when racto destroyed the bridge? how is possible to do without a trigger that touch the info_player_start entity? :\

there is a lot of technical problem,

i think for make really nice work  the unique way is to edit the map. and converting Bsp to map is not an easy way for the lights losting, the uvmapping corrupted and also the brush leaking.

if the author give permission and map project, i can help, too, but without map file, i cannot manage that. :\

Darth Sion and Cerez like this

I totally agree with it. Coruscant has this cyberpunk style, kinda like Blade Runner, that isn't reflected in Jedi Academy at all, not even in the architecture. All you have there is just plain square rooftops and colorful buildings.

And there are some snipers and the usual bad guys you've seen already throughout the entire game.

As much as I like the map, I think it really is in need for a remake that looks and feels like Coruscant.

Darth Sion and Cerez like this

The pk3 file not contain the map source file, and is not possible to edit a map of a developer without his permission.

So, for making this project without stolen work, or without become crazy to rebuild light and uvmapping of the new coruscant map,

you and the peoples that desire to help you need to contact directly @@JCulley3D  , and ask his permission for use his map, and also ask his original .MAP file for rebuild the map after you place the triggers and entitites.

Well, I've been trying to contact @JCulley3D, in regards to this. I've left him a message in his JKHub inbox and also via his Facebook page, but currently to no avail, which was little over a week ago. He was the first person I went to, about this whole project, as it's his map.

Cerez and Asgarath83 like this

I like this project. for me too coruscant on JKA is really odd. seems more another planet... more a good version of nar shaddaa that a corcuscant style.

but there are two problems:

is possible to edit it with entmodding, but it's hard to do because ent modding not allows to put trigger and func and other brush entities.

example... the intro cinematic when racto destroyed the bridge? how is possible to do without a trigger that touch the info_player_start entity? :\

there is a lot of technical problem,

i think for make really nice work  the unique way is to edit the map. and converting Bsp to map is not an easy way for the lights losting, the uvmapping corrupted and also the brush leaking.

if the author give permission and map project, i can help, too, but without map file, i cannot manage that. :\

Well, the bridge explosion at the beginning of the base level/map, as you stated could be withheld. I don't know if you've had chance to try the map out, yourself. But there is a landing platform with Queen Amidala's ship, from Naboo, This would be the starting off area, in the same way that it is with Jaden and his X-Wing in the base game (Only the Queen's ship would be replaced with Jaden's X-Wing.. If that's possible). There's a walkway from the landing platform to a sort of "automatic blast door", that leads into the city complex. This is where, upon starting the mission, Jaden would walk from his ship (either via cut-scene or user-controlled, in-game) and the first cut-scene would trigger, where Racto (for ease of creation and easily accessible files) could use the same lines and animations he uses in the base game. I've found those sound files, which are in;

"assets0.pk3 > sound > chars > racto"

To which then, he would run away to his "hiding spot"area (somewhere in the complex. I know where, I just can't pinpoint it without actually looking on the map, itself.). The door would shut behind him (but NOT lock), allowing you through, as you chase after him. To which then, the mission could continue and proceed further.

That's my general introduction to the level. But I am open to suggestions.

I'm not sure if there's a .roq cutscene file before this mission takes place, to show Jaden in his X-Wing n space, flying to the planet (Coruscant). If there isn't and that can be added, that'd also be an interesting idea, but isn't essential.

Cerez likes this

@@Darth Sion. i'm glad you had mailed the developer. you need to stay patiente and wait his answer.

If we got all okay and with source map file on the hand, sure i can help too.

On ent modding is possible to script the entire level, but not the bridge destruction or the raktor security lock into metal wall (when spawn assassin droids) these entities are brushes. ent modding cannot allow to convert a solid brush of the map into a func_brekable brush, for destroying the bridge of the padmé's landpad. this is the problem. if there is some func_brekable bridge in the map, maybe is possible to work with it. however now i play the map. I am curious.

eezstreet, Cerez and Darth Sion like this

@@Darth Sion. i'm glad you had mailed the developer. you need to stay patiente and wait his answer.

If we got all okay and with source map file on the hand, sure i can help too.

On ent modding is possible to script the entire level, but not the bridge destruction or the raktor security lock into metal wall (when spawn assassin droids) these entities are brushes. ent modding cannot allow to convert a solid brush of the map into a func_brekable brush, for destroying the bridge of the padmé's landpad. this is the problem. if there is some func_brekable bridge in the map, maybe is possible to work with it. however now i play the map. I am curious.

To be honest, I'm not even bothered or worried about the bridge explosion at all. That can be left out (unless it's absolutely essential that it needs to be put in, as a requirement)

I was thinking that the mission would start off, by Racto seeing you (Jaden) approaching him, at which point he's at the door already and then says the line; "Did you think you could just barge in here and take me into custody, Jedi?!", then he steps behind the door and the door closes, to which you chase after him, going through the door, obviously and the mission properly begins.

That was my initial starting thoughts, anyway.. Unless someone comes up with something better. As stated above, there doesn't necessarily have to be an exploding bridge sequence. Obviously, the mission itself wants to be as close to the original as possible, but in a "custom" way. So you basically, achieve the same goal/objective, but just in a customized way.

I don't think James (SJC) has been around here since his first few return posts. Give it some time, he's busy.

It will be interesting to see what he thinks of this project, and if he still has the source files for this map work.

Let's wait it out.

Agreed! Fingers crossed on both of those parts.. That he gives it the go ahead and still has the source files. It's a shame he can't be tagged in here, for some reason.. The forum doesn't seem to want to tag his username in, even when typed correctly :huh:. But yeah, I guess it's just a case of playing the waiting game, right now.

Asgarath83 and Cerez like this
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok, @@Asgarath83 @@Cerez.. It looks like we may have to take the "long way" 'round, here and go it alone. And also probably gonna have to do it the hard way.. Unless there's no way that something can be done, without certain aspects of elements.

I'm not sure if James is busy with outside things, but I'm sure he would let me know, in some way if that's the case. So we may have to go ahead and do this on our own.

Ok, @@Asgarath83 @@Cerez.. It looks like we may have to take the long way 'round, here and going it alone. And also probably gonna have to do it the hard way.. Unless there's no way that something can be done, without certain aspects of elements. I've contacted JCulley3D via Facebook messages, twice.

I contacted him the 2nd time on 12th April, to which the message was received and seen by him.. But hadn't replied. I then messaged him earlier (around an hour ago), as stated in the previous post, above. Again, both messages have been received and seen, but there is no response. I'm not sure if James is busy with outside things and I'm sure he would let me know, in some way if that's the case. But for now, I can only assume the worst, from his side. So we may have to go ahead and do this on our own.

If he pass you the spurce file, i can do something, but in this condition... nope. because if i decompile the map i need to re-align all textures and put again all light entities. sure the map at the end will be compromized. i am not good as Langerd or Szico on mapping, so i cannot do miracle. the final result can be really different by the map you wanna use, because i not know the correct color parameter or spawnflags of every light entity of the map. if you can get the map file by this man, okay, if not, the only things possible is that Cerez help you with ent modding. :( i cannot work into a decompiled map for a project so huge. the coruscant map is pretty large. i NEED the original map file for make something. :( without it, i cannot do nothing. should be an hellish work and you will get a bad result >.<

If he pass you the spurce file, i can do something, but in this condition... nope. because if i decompile the map i need to re-align all textures and put again all light entities. sure the map at the end will be compromized. i am not good as Langerd or Szico on mapping, so i cannot do miracle. the final result can be really different by the map you wanna use, because i not know the correct color parameter or spawnflags of every light entity of the map. if you can get the map file by this man, okay, if not, the only things possible is that Cerez help you with ent modding. :( i cannot work into a decompiled map for a project so huge. the coruscant map is pretty large. i NEED the original map file for make something. :( without it, i cannot do nothing. should be an hellish work and you will get a bad result >.<

Well, I've spoken to him again, this morning via Facebook (He replied and contacted me, actually) and he says he's been busy, currently working on some sort of VR project or something. But he said he'd be able to talk more, over the weekend. So I'll speak with him this weekend and discuss the plans. etc.

I really wanna see this through and get this done. Whatever obstacle lies ahead..

Asgarath83 and Cerez like this

Well, I've spoken to him again, this morning via Facebook (He replied and contacted me, actually) and he says he's been busy, currently working on some sort of VR project or something. But he said he'd be able to talk more, over the weekend. So I'll speak with him this weekend and discuss the plans. etc.

I really wanna see this through and get this done. Whatever obstacle lies ahead..

Good luck man. into the time, i'll end my code stuff >.< call me when you have the source file.

That's good, but be patient. James is very busy, I'm sure, and he'll need to dig up the old files (if he's willing to share).

Regardless of whether he is willing to share the source or not, if he approves of this project, I think we should attempt it regardless -- even if only with ent modding and scripting at our disposal.

Darth Sion likes this

That's good, but be patient. James is very busy, I'm sure, and he'll need to dig up the old files (if he's willing to share).

Regardless of whether he is willing to share the source or not, if he approves of this project, I think we should attempt it regardless -- even if only with ent modding and scripting at our disposal.

I agree. From what I gather from his overall response and attitude, I think he seems willing to let this go ahead. Hopefully, I'll have more contact with him over the weekend and can discuss things with him, further. I've discussed meeting with him in town (as we live in the same area) and will leave him to get back to me when he's free.

But like I've said before.. The whole bridge explosion at the start doesn't even necessarily have to be in the map at all. In fact, from what I can see from my exploration of the map, it'd make sense not to have the bridge explosion in, at all. But the same dialogue from the base version, can still remain intact. Although, on the landing platform where Queen Amidala's ship is found, I would like to replace that with Jaden's X-Wing. Just for continuation reasons and so it doesn't look out of place and as if Jaden was just thrown into the map, if you catch my drift..

Cerez likes this
  • 1 month later...

**Small Update** (Quite disappointing)

Ok, so I've been laying relatively low on Facebook with JCulley3D, just lately. To basically, give him a bit of space and time to address his own day-to-day activities and such (just basically being respectful to him), so I'm not constantly asking him for his input 24/7, as I know he's a busy guy. However, I think now it's time to come to the conclusion that attaining the source files for this map is gonna be "tall order", to say the least. I wouldn't go as far as saying it's DEFINITELY NOT gonna happen. But I've tried to contact him 3 times (or the last 3 messages I've sent to him. Incl. the most recent one I've sent him tonight, which he has "read"). But I don't seem to be getting any further along with him, in regards to acquiring what is needed from him to make this work, how we want it to. In fairness, we're literally no further along now, than we were say, 2 or 3 months ago. Which, as you can imagine is extremely frustrating.

The last 3 messages I've posted to him (again, including tonight's message) have all been "read", but no response or reply from him. So I'm afraid we're going to have to try and do this some other way (whatever way we can). Now, @@Asgarath83.. I understand and know exactly where you're coming from, from our recent discussions in this thread and inbox messages that you simply CAN'T do anything without the source files for this. But to be honest, I think the only way we're gonna be able to do this, is by entity modding and such.. And modding the build of the map that's currently available on the forum. I know @@Cerez, you've also stated that you've lost your desire to work on any new or currently ongoing projects and I understand that, but it seems we're in a VERY awkward situation and will need some input and such from anyone who can help. I have the plan for the map/level that I want (although, not officially in place), but I do know what I'm looking for. As far as physical changes to the map, the ONLY thing I'm looking to swap/change, on the map is to replace Queen Amidala's ship (currently on the landing platform), with Jaden's X-Wing, that's in the base assets part of the game already.

I feel very disappointed and sad that this is where the situation has led to, but it clearly shows that JCulley isn't as forthcoming and helpful with this project as originally hoped (again, I understand he's a busy guy). I've also stated to him in the message that I'd like to try and get all this done, this summer, if possible.. Or at least make a start on it. @@Cerez and @@Asgarath83.. If you have any input here, it'd be more than welcomed.

@@Darth Sion I do understand where James is coming from. Sharing the source for a well known work of art is a tough call, and not something to be taken lightly. That's why I applaud those who have the courage to pass on the torch to the greater community, the next generation, and treat their work with great respect, but not everyone is the same, and at the end of the day it is a personal choice from the artist, and to be respected either way.

For future reference, you really don't need more than a single mail message to the artist/creator. If you can see if message has been read, that's all the more reason to keep your correspondence short and to the point. If they've read it, and you don't receive an answer within two weeks' time, it is likely they are not interested, that they have nothing to say, or that you've taken things too far for their taste. (Not sure what the actual correspondence between you two was, but just saying.) We're entitled to free speech, and that means the right to say silent, and not say anything at all, as well. :)

Now, onto the project itself:

I do like the challenge of having to accomplish this solely via entity modding and scriptwork. The great Orson Welles once said that "The absence of limitations is the enemy of art." I'm not sure how far we can push it, exactly, as working this way does have its limits, but if we're determined, I'm sure we'll get somewhere we want to be.

Scripting the NPCs to walk as expected will be the biggest challenge, by far, for me -- and something I've failed to get to work properly in the past. I'm really excited to see the default JKA cinematic animations play out in a new environment, however, to our tweaking and disposal; and about recreating that mission in the real undercity of Coruscant.

That said, my life is in great turmoil at the moment, and I need to focus my efforts on mere (financial) survival, so I don't have any time to devote to this project, in truth, currently -- which is why I've chosen to step away for the time being. I will gladly attend to it at a later time, however, when my real life has been stabilised, and I can afford to take on a hobby project of this scale -- though I can't say when that will be, presently... :/

On the legal side, does James approve of you involving his map in this derivative project? Has he given you written permission to use the map? If not, you may not be able to share the finished work past your close friends, privately and for private use -- which is something you may not want, given the amount of work involved.

I haven't looked at the structure of the map, but it is possible we might be able to replace the ship simply by physically replacing the MD3 inside the PK3 bundle if the ship is not a part of the map itself, but an extra model and asset added in.