[Concept] Path of the Jedi

The Jedi have long been followers of the light, and have many powers aimed at peaceful conflict resolution or helping those in need. There are three main archetypes:

• Knight: The prodigal warrior monks, they aspire to hunt down any trace of darkness. Notable Jedi Knights include Obi Wan Kenobi and Mace Windu.
  • Adept: Fast-moving, they seek to disarm their opponents and heal their allies in a desperate attempt to do the right thing. Notable Jedi Adepts include Luke Skywalker and Rey.
  • Master: Wise and omniscient, they understand the balance of the force and use it to vanquish their foes. Notable Jedi Masters include Yoda and Qui-Gon Jinn.

The Sith are the counterpart to the Jedi, and seek to destroy it. There are three main archetypes:

• Warrior: They see the dark side as superior and try to subjugate those who cling to the weakness of the Light. Notable Warriors include Darth Vader and Desann.
  • Apprentice: In a desperate attempt to please higher powers, they will go to any length to prove their allegiance. Notable apprentices include Darth Maul and Count Dooku.
  • Lord: Consumed to the point of madness with lust for power, they strike with savagery at those who stand in their way. Notable Lords include Kylo Ren and Darth Sidious.

Of course, there are other paths and motivations for one to pick up a lightsaber. What will yours be?

Ramikad, therfiles, Smoo and 2 others like this

I'm kinda' torn between "Jedi Warrior" and/or "Sith Lord", personally.

I like the idea of being a Jedi warrior and encountering a Sith and knowing that's it a force for evil.. Ridding the galaxy of all evil and allowing there to be light and peace in the universe. To quote Yoda, from "Revenge of the Sith", I believe it is;

"Destroy the Sith, we must."

But I do also like the idea of constantly improving one's self and becoming more and more powerful, no matter what the consequences are. As in a case or scenario like this, there are ALWAYS consequences to be faced. Achieving a greater power always comes at a price, but what that price is, kind of depends on how far you're willing to go.

Smoo likes this

I think Kylo Ren's more of the apprentice sort personally eez, all that sucking up to grand daddy after all.

I always liked the Revan archetype for the Sith, which is a variation on Lord: Embrace darker powers and evil methods in order to protect or save those they care about most.  They will do whatever is necessary to accomplish their goal, despite the cost.  They are the embodiment of the philosophy "For the Greater Good".  Notaries: Darth Revan, Darth Vectivus

Darth Sion and TheWhitePhoenix like this

JKG Developer

Right. Kylo Ren isn't a Sith, from what we know. He just uses the dark side and is the "master of the Knights of Ren" which we don't know what they were either. According to Rey's vision in the movie, Kylo Ren was the only one with a saber from that ensemble.

Kinda off topic, but still. :P

Darth Sion and Smoo like this

You are right in saying that perhaps Ren is an apprentice, and not a Lord. I struggled a bit to come up with the name of them. The problem with these archetypes is that they are named based on ranks (Luke can be called a Master, for instance) and not on the fighting style, which is what I meant to convey.

Think instead of there being three lightside and three darkside versions, and you get the idea:

• Light Warrior: Uses lightsaber and force powers in balance with one another, designed to be a tanky type/see the brunt of the fire
  • Light Adept: Fast-moving, uses healing and evasion
  • Light Forceuser: Uses their force powers in dramatic ways to take down enemies quickly (more of a utility character than anything else)
  • Dark Warrior: Darkside version of Light Warrior (I guess Count Dooku would be one of these then, now that I think about it. He kinda knocked people's blocks off with that Lightning use)
  • Dark Apprentice: Fast moving variant of Dark Warrior that doesn't really use powers.
  • Dark Warlock: Mad forceuser with a lust for power, but also heals/energizes his minions

These aren't exactly classes, but typical playstyles that I want to see as being viable. In some ways they represent the movies, in other ways not so much. I want to keep the force system a secret for right now. Each of those playstyles is based on a distinct ideology which you see in the movie.

And I disagree, Yoda wasn't exactly hell-bent on destroying the Sith, he was instead wanting to rally people to destroy them/bring them down a peg because they disrupt the balance of the force between light and dark. Kylo Ren isn't a Sith Lord or anything, but he was definitely driven mad with power. We see lots of downright scary use of the Force from him in the movies.

This thread is still a WIP by the way, so things will change between now and then.

Fuse294, Stoiss, Smoo and 1 other like this

The trouble with the information on that site Onysfx is that it deals with the functioning Jedi order before Sidious ripped it to shreds.  The few remaining and scattered Jedi don't have much order to begin with and the supposed secret underground Jedi organization is said to have changed a lot in order to survive and make due with what it can.

Onysfx likes this

JKG Developer

The trouble with the information on that site Onysfx is that it deals with the functioning Jedi order before Sidious ripped it to shreds.  The few remaining and scattered Jedi don't have much order to begin with and the supposed secret underground Jedi organization is said to have changed a lot in order to survive and make due with what it can.

Excellent point.