help with JK2

Hi there,

this is my first post here. I made this account because jk3files shut down and this seems to be the main site to go to for jk related issues.

I recently decided I wanted to play Jedi Outcast again for nostalgia's sake. So I installed it but can't seem to get it running correctly (I'm trying to run it under Windows 8).

The problem is the following: the highest resolution I'm able to select is 1152x864, which looks like this on my monitor:

DxxG7fD.jpg

This is with full screen enabled.

Whenever I go higher then this, let's say 1280x1024, I get a zoomed in view, with only the top left part of the game visible:

Wzz2mmF.jpg

I've googled for a solution but everywhere people seem to recommend the same thing.

Run both the singleplayer and multiplayer executables at least once, to generate config files. Go to <gameDir>\GameData\base.
Open jk2config.cfg and edit these lines:

seta r_mode "x"
Set this to -1. (to enable custom resolutions, 1 and higher are the game's standard resolutions)

seta r_customwidth "xxxx"
seta r_customheight "xxx"
Set this to your favorite widescreen resolution.

Add this line to the bottom of the file:

seta cg_fov "xx"

I recommend 90 for 16:10 resolutions, and 95 for 16:9 resolutions (default is 80).

I've tried this with 1920x1080 and 1280x720 resolutions (widescreen) as well as 1440x1080 resolution (3:4 aspect ratio, because I don't mind black bars on the side),
but still it only shows the top left part of the game, extremely zoomed in.

I even found someone who had the same problem with 'Return to Castle Wolfenstein' and was able to fix it by altering one of the existing lines in the config file:

seta r_glIgnoreWicked3D "0"

to "1"

So I tried adding that line to the jk outcast config file, but without result.

I am out of ideas on how to solve this but would still really like the game to at least fill the entire height of my laptop display. One thing's for certain though, it seems to be a common problem on newers systems (relatively speaking).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Have you tried playing windowed mode on a resolution that matches your desktop resolution?

I have now. Thank you for the suggestion, I hadn't thought of that.

The closest I came to having the height of my entire display filled was at a resolution of 1332x999 (4:3). Yet it is immersion breaking, with all the crap at my desktop showing.

Interestingly enought though, when I try the corresponding widescreen resolution 1776x999 (16:9), I get the same zoomed in top left view as , same goes for 1920x1080.

The 1332x999 resultion in fullscreen mode also gives the top left view, so it's really confusing.

But I guess for now, until a better suggestion comes along the 1332x999 windowed mode is probably my best bet.

The top part of the game gets cut of by the window though. Is there anyway to make it borderless?