About the First Person Gun mode..

In SP pause menu options there is first person gun mode..

I was wondering if it is possible to edit the code that this option uses to stay enabled when a lightsaber is used, regardless of models getting in the way of the camera.

If anyone has the code I would sure like to take a look to see if it is possible.

Basically i'm asking for a First Person Saber mode but works from the First Person Gun mode code.

In SP pause menu options there is first person gun mode..

I was wondering if it is possible to edit the code that this option uses to stay enabled when a lightsaber is used, regardless of models getting in the way of the camera.

If anyone has the code I would sure like to take a look to see if it is possible.

Basically i'm asking for a First Person Saber mode but works from the First Person Gun mode code.

Nice request. i was ever curios of why the first person is disabled with lightsaber. personally i play ever on third person. because with first person i not see where i jump exactly XD. but first person is very nice for using shooting weapons. :)

Doesn't work like that. First person guns use different models than what you see in third person. The only thing you can do is bring over the JO first person saber view.

I would like to try but I would need all of the code for it from JO. I can cover the assets myself

The reason Raven dropped this from JK3 is because in JK2 the hand model used for first person view was Kyle's human hand, and in JK3 they've started implementing a lot of different character choices, and each species/gender/character would need a new hand model for this to really make sense -- it was too much work for not enough benefit in the company's eyes.

That said, I've experimented with this idea before. Here is a script for MP that does this for you:

seta cg_fov 97
seta cg_thirdpersonalpha 0
seta cg_thirdpersonrange 0.1
seta cg_thirdpersonvertoffset 0
seta cg_thirdpersontargetdamp 1
seta cg_thirdpersoncameradamp 1
Paste it into a text file and save it as CFG extension file, then enable cheats in MP and load it up in the console with "exec nameofscript".

Here is the counter-work for the script that resets all values (your view) to default:

reset cg_fov
reset cg_thirdpersonalpha
reset cg_thirdpersonrange
reset cg_thirdpersonvertoffset
reset cg_thirdpersontargetdamp
reset cg_thirdpersoncameradamp
You could also bind these scripts to two keys.
Asgarath83 and Daedra like this

The reason Raven dropped this from JK3 is because in JK2 the hand model used for first person view was Kyle's human hand, and in JK3 they've started implementing a lot of different character choices, and each species/gender/character would need a new hand model for this to really make sense -- it was too much work for not enough benefit in the company's eyes.

That said, I've experimented with this idea before. Here is a script for MP that does this for you:

seta cg_fov 97
Paste it into a text file and save it as CFG extension file, then enable cheats in MP and load it up in the console with "exec nameofscript".

Here is the counter-work for the script that resets all values (your view) to default:

reset cg_fov

There's a much easier way to achieve first person lightsaber view in MP: cg_fpls 1.

Cerez likes this

seta cg_fov 97

reset cg_fov

Pretty interessing. but it's strange they allowed first person on thermal, tripmine and detpack. they have solved this problem making the _hand.md3 model for this weapons. all visible as hand is a gauntlet. also if jedi char of jaden korr have not a gauntlet. O.O

JAWSFreelao and Cerez like this

An update on this:

If you are running a customised build of OpenJK MP, edit the following in the source code to eliminate the need for cheats to be enabled while using the first person view:

XCVAR_DEF( cg_thirdPersonAlpha,					"1.0",					NULL,					CVAR_ARCHIVE )

In "codemp/cgame/cg_xcvar.h" change CVAR_CHEAT to CVAR_ARCHIVE on cg_thirdPersonAlpha.

This allows you to use the first person view without problems even on public servers.

Thanks to Tr!Force for helping me with this one.

There's a much easier way to achieve first person lightsaber view in MP: cg_fpls 1.

That's fine, and you're right, but you also need cg_thirdpersonalpha to be 0 if you don't want the character model's head to get in the way of your view.

Not quite. Raven had a fpls skin file for Kyle in JO, there was no actual first person lightsaber model (md3). They most likely didn't use it for JKA because it was crappy when it came to attacks that weren't in front of the player like backstabbing. Pretty sure they didn't dump the code entirely, I remember seeing mention of fpls.

Cerez likes this

The model for it still exists for Kyle and Kyle alone, it's just a different .skin file (model_fpls.skin)

I have no idea if code for it is still around, but it's probably not there anymore, for good reason. Stuff like katas would cause severe confusion in first person, I imagine.

I never understood the appeal behind first person sabering anyway.

DT85 likes this

I never understood the appeal behind first person sabering anyway.

It puts you (your view) into a more vulnerable position, and therefore gives you a heightened sense of danger and reality. It also gives you a different perspective on blade distance. Plus, it's an old trademark of the JK series.

Perhaps if the camera moves with the head on the player model, it might make it better?

That would cause motion sickness in most people, with the view swaying constantly as the character runs. I don't know, I prefer a clean and steady FPS... I admit that a follow through with the flips and turns may somehow work and be nice, though.

That would cause motion sickness in most people, with the view swaying constantly as the character runs. I don't know, I prefer a clean and steady FPS... I admit that a follow through with the flips and turns may somehow work and be nice, though.

you can turn swaying off though.. I know that is an option in MP

Cerez likes this