VM Create on UI Failed - The most annoying crash on the planet

Hey,

You guys have probably heard of Movie Battles 2 but even if you haven't I assume the general principle to the crash remains the same. Normally when the map changes more than two times I'll crash receiving this error:

159366 files in pk3 files
Loading dll file ui.
Failed to load dll, looking for qvm.
Loading vm file vm/ui.qvm.
Failed.
Shutting down OpenGL subsystem
VM_Create on UI failed

However, just recently this has started happening whenever I join ANY server. It'll load stutter for a bit then crash straight to desktop with that same error in the console log. My graphics card is in built into the laptop meaning that it's absolutely terrible (Intel® HD Graphics 4000) but the crashing has been manageable until now. Which is odd considering nothing has changed the state of the game since, even all recent .pk3 additions were removed yet to no avail.

I've tried setting the jamp.exe to administrator and compatability mode windows XP service pack 2 and 3 but to no avail and tried setting all my graphics settings to low before joining in case it was a memory problem but that did nothing.

Some help would be immensely appreciated.

Are you loading from a .bat file?

Check in the task manager and make sure that a background process of jamp.exe isn't running.

Also check and make sure the issue is isolated to MB2.

Basically, "VM_Create on X Failed" means that the game could not load a .dll for whatever reason, like jampgamex86.dll, cgamex86.dll, etc. This could be due to:

• The DLL not being found
  • The DLL currently being in use by another program (A rogue jamp.exe process in the background for instance)
  • Not being able to access the DLL due to the OS (Not having administrator rights, for instance)
  • The DLL not being valid (very rare and should never happen)

This could be an issue with MB2 (seems probable, given how inexperienced their latest round of coders are) or possibly some weird mojo going on with your hard drive.

Thanks for the speedy reply @@eezstreet. I'm launching it from Steam (as JKA is a steam game) and so it's directly accessing the jamp.exe. I think it may have something to do with the OS not being able to access the .dll, is there anyway to give admin permissions to everything?

Look forward to your response as I'd love to get this issue down and play me some mb2 :D

EDIT: jamp.exe is definitely not running

I've already tried re-installing before when I had this issue AND restarting Steam but yet nothing changed :\.

EDIT: I got this error now when I try and use the MB2 Launcher to power up the game (just starting from jamp.exe doesn't produce this):

execing default.cfg
execing jaconfig.cfg
couldn't exec autoexec.cfg
Z_Free(): Corrupt zone header!

Going to try re-installing MB2 as I'm out of options
  • 1 year later...

I've already tried re-installing before when I had this issue AND restarting Steam but yet nothing changed :\.

EDIT: I got this error now when I try and use the MB2 Launcher to power up the game (just starting from jamp.exe doesn't produce this):

execing default.cfg
execing jaconfig.cfg
couldn't exec autoexec.cfg
Z_Free(): Corrupt zone header!

Going to try re-installing MB2 as I'm out of options

From this exact post here it looks like you are running SP not MP. default.cfg belongs to SP. jaconfig.cfg belongs to SP. Z_Free() warning doesn't exist for MP afaik.

The other thing eez didn't mention that it could be is a lack of having the proper MSVC redistributable installed for whatever version the MB2 devs are using.