Creation of .roq files

Go to solution Solved by DT.,

So, this is something I've always wanted to try. Creating an .roq file.

I know there's a program that helps you make the final product but I'm confused as to how to take a video and break it down into frame by frame pictures. Does anyone know of a program that could accomplish that? As far as video editors go, I just use Sony Vegas Pro 12. But I don't know if it has a functionality like that.

Smoo likes this

I find it's better to work with sequenced images in a folder & a seperate .wav file, I like more control over what I'm doing. :P

If you need to convert a video to sequenced images, use tMPGenc. It's also a video editor. RoQ.exe also likes tga's better that bmp's in terms of keeping quality.

Yeah I remember a while back I was trying to make .roq files but I remember when I made them they always turned out with weird color problems (this was using a variety of codecs beforehand). Couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong...

Tip: Make a very short version of your movie/whatever into an .roq first before doing the whole thing (which takes forever) to tweak the quality and make sure it's going to come out alright ahead of time.

• Solution

First off, I put roq.exe in C:\DF2Mod\Converted_Videos\ just easier to work with a few files than alot. Now add the below text into a text document where you will call it <yourfile>.param

INPUT_DIR C:\DF2Mod\Converted_Videos\DF2_Intro
FILENAME DF2_Intro.roq
SOUND DF2_Intro.wav
INPUT
DF2_Intro-*.tga [0000000-0004303]
END_INPUT

INPUT_DIR - This is where you store all your sequenced textures

FILENAME - This is the RoQ output filename you want

SOUND - Sound file to include, must be in the same directory as roq.exe

INPUT - Leave this as-is, this tells roq.exe to load the images below.

DF2_Intro-*.tga [0000000-0004303] - This is the image sequence name. I'll break it down below:

END_INPUT - Leave this as-is, this tells roq.exe that the loading of images is finished.

• DF2_Intro- is the base name for all the sequence files.
  • The little * indicates where the sequence numbers start in each of the image filenames.
  • [0000000-0004303] is the sequence numbers part of the image filenames and also lets roq.exe know the range, ie what image it starts with and what image it ends with. Everything inbetween will be processed.

So what you want your images to look like is DF2_Intro-0000000.tga, DF2_Intro-0000001.tga, DF2_Intro-0000002.tga, DF2_Intro-0000003.tga, DF2_Intro-0000004.tga and so on. I usually have roq.exe running of a .bat file which looks like this:

roq.exe DF2_Intro.param
pause

The pause simply allows the cmd window to stay open until you press a key. This is usefull when some programs have errors but they close before you can see them. ;)

I'm never good at explaining things, but hopefully this helps. :)

P.S I *think* roq.exe can process MPEG videos, but I have no idea and I wouldn't use it anyway as it's not a lossless format.

Smoo likes this