Compile taking ages

Once I get to PassagePortalFlow in my compile, it takes ages and my computer works it's ass off. I have a kickass computer and have never heard the fan run that hard (I'm running other programs of course not just Radiant, but that's normal for me). What am I doing wrong?

That's during -vis, right? That's bound to take long if you have lots of structural brushes, but you generally shouldn't. I'll hopefully start writing tutorials shortly, vis will be one area. I'd appreciate if you took a look here and told me if you need any other tutorials.

Easiest way for us to tell you what's the problem with your map is to take a look at it, by the way.

Well, there's there's stuff like grates made out of brushes as well as decorated windows in there, that should definitely not be structural.

I made the railing on the stairs, the windows, and the gates all detail brushes, yeah. It still worries me just how loud that fan gets during compile when my computer has pretty solid specs. Usually I can run two windows of Firefox while watching Netflix and playing a game without the fan getting nearly as loud.

Well, with a sufficiently detail-brushed map the -vis stage shouldn't take more than a minute, surely not more than 5, in my experience. (Then again it's been a while since I last worked on maps so my memory might be wrong.)

In an extreme case your entire map might be detail and you manually place occluder brushes (which is what the antiportal texture is for).

So as a rough estimate, a map like that where everything you can't see (and about 30% of what you can see) is all caulk, and I made everything a detail brush that was talked about earlier, how long should it take for a full compile?

Look, it'd be easier to just upload the map for us to judge. Or wait for the tutorial. As I said, it usually shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes, but it depends on the map, obviously.

I think I've fixed it up pretty well actually, thanks to your help. I compiled the map in about 7 minutes, whereas before that I ended the compile at 15.

Can you share the map source? I'm sure we could tell you pretty fast exactly what it is.

My passageportalflow usually doesn't take more than 2 minutes on my most complex and largest of maps. However, even one small error such as a lone, many sided structural brush that got missed can break up a 4-6 portal area into thousand when combined with other factors like blocksize.

Futuza likes this

VIS is almost universally always the fastest stage when detail and structural brushes are used correctly - you just need to make all brushes detail except your major void-touching geomoetry and select other brushes you require to split your map up appropriately for fps purposes.