Movement/Combat animations only for specific characters?

Hey there, this is just an idea/question that came to my mind the other day and I hope this is the right section for it!

There's lots of cool animation mods out there that change saber stances, moving animations, swinging motions, and .etc right? But I was wondering... is it possible to have such things but only for specific bots/NPCs/characters only? For example, adding new animations to Darth Vader so that he fights/moves more like he would in the movies but without changing how everyone else in the game moves too? Or if I download a saber stance pack, is there a way I can take those animations and add them to only one or few characters? In addition, if it is possible then does anyone happen to know how this is implemented?

I'm still fairly new at modding so forgive me if this is actually a common known thing, haha. But either way, thanks for reading!

Yes that is completely doable. You have to use a hex editor to make the animations and player model reference each other. There's a tutorial on the site to do that.

The downside is that the modded character will not work in cut scenes. Cut scenes reference specific animations that the newly hexed character can not.

I used this with my backhand animations, Link animations, and Toshi did this with his Yoda model. I learned by opening Yoda and seeing how he did it.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes that is completely doable. You have to use a hex editor to make the animations and player model reference each other. There's a tutorial on the site to do that.

The downside is that the modded character will not work in cut scenes. Cut scenes reference specific animations that the newly hexed character can not.

I used this with my backhand animations, Link animations, and Toshi did this with his Yoda model. I learned by opening Yoda and seeing how he did it.

Oh I see, thank you very much for the info! What was the tutorial called?

So lets say someone makes an animation of a stormtrooper waving his arm to signal someone. That custom animation will only work if its scripted in the playable game. If you did the same in a cutscene you would be limited to the stock animations? If I understand correctly?

If you open the assets you can see they have specific animations in them for cut scenes. These all refer back to the model.glm file. Once you hex edit the model and animations you rename the model.glm file to something like yoda_model.glm. So now the character can no longer reference the cutscene animations.

There is a workaround, at least for the player model in SP...have 2 models, one without the standard animations and a second copy with the custom animations.

Use the model with the standard animations in the characters selection menu and then call the version with custom animations via npc. That's how I use Starkiller with your backhand animations.

:)

katanamaru likes this
  • 2 weeks later...

@@katanamaru recently decided to try out what you said before and nothing works, I'm following this tutorial: https://jkhub.org/topic/10156-creating-an-original-humanoid-file-unique-to-one-or-more-characters/?hl=%2Banimation+%2Bhex

I used notepad, notepad++, a hex editor, etc. Pretty much changing any line within a .glm file causes the model to refuse to load and instead uses a default stormtrooper model in its place. So, any ideas?

@@katanamaru recently decided to try out what you said before and nothing works, I'm following this tutorial: https://jkhub.org/topic/10156-creating-an-original-humanoid-file-unique-to-one-or-more-characters/?hl=%2Banimation+%2Bhex

I used notepad, notepad++, a hex editor, etc. Pretty much changing any line within a .glm file causes the model to refuse to load and instead uses a default stormtrooper model in its place. So, any ideas?

For some reason the only program that works for me is "Hex-Editor MX". You can read more at https://jkhub.org/topic/10237-humanoid-custom-folder-help/

Hey there, this is just an idea/question that came to my mind the other day and I hope this is the right section for it!

There's lots of cool animation mods out there that change saber stances, moving animations, swinging motions, and .etc right? But I was wondering... is it possible to have such things but only for specific bots/NPCs/characters only? For example, adding new animations to Darth Vader so that he fights/moves more like he would in the movies but without changing how everyone else in the game moves too? Or if I download a saber stance pack, is there a way I can take those animations and add them to only one or few characters? In addition, if it is possible then does anyone happen to know how this is implemented?

I'm still fairly new at modding so forgive me if this is actually a common known thing, haha. But either way, thanks for reading!

If someone really do that, the game will be way more awesome than it already is!

To fix this i recommend making the same player model using the normal _humanoid and later when making cutscenes - make new _humanoid_cutscenemap just to make cutscene animations. With this method we can use the new playermodel with diffrent animations and make him play animations in the cutscene