Solo: A Star Wars Story

Alden Ehrenreich gave a new fresh face for a younger Han Solo, no complains about that. And Donald Glover was surprisingly good as Lando Calrissian, same as Woody Harrelson managed to make Beckett somewhat interesting. But - Emilia Clarke & Thandie Newton were only chosen because of their huge popularity in HBO's Game of Thrones and Westworld. (instead of trying to find someone who could act the role, they prefer to use the cash-magnets) Emilia for example just couldn't bring out that frightened, beaten & used- persona in her character. She's too pretty for the role, someone like Mila Kunis would have been more convincing at that. Didn't much like that droid either, it was really annoying to be honest. But my biggest concern was that the Solo film was really not that different from TFA, R1 and TLJ, there was a strong sense of 'Marvel way of making films'- about these Disney StarWars films. They look the same to me, a few ha-ha moments here and there but.. none of these films really stand out, y'know? The best scene in Solo, the one that I liked the most, was when Chewie met Han for the fist time. It showed a deeper layer within the StarWars universe, and especially later on in the movie, the audience could see for themselves, just what happened to the wookies after the Clone Wars and the Rise of the Empire. So that was nice, but Darth Maul in the end? Really??

You'd think I would be extremely happy about this, but I'm really not. He's the coolest Sith right after Vader, but somehow seeing an older Ray Park as Darth Maul, just... didn't feel that good.

But - Emilia Clarke & Thandie Newton were only chosen because of their huge popularity in HBO's Game of Thrones and Westworld. (instead of trying to find someone who could act the role, they prefer to use the cash-magnets) Emilia for example just couldn't bring out that frightened, beaten & used- persona in her character. She's too pretty for the role, someone like Mila Kunis would have been more convincing at that. Didn't much like that droid either, it was really annoying to be honest. But my biggest concern was that the Solo film was really not that different from TFA, R1 and TLJ, there was a strong sense of 'Marvel way of making films'- about these Disney StarWars films. They look the same to me, a few ha-ha moments here and there but.. none of these films really stand out, y'know? The best scene in Solo, the one that I liked the most, was when Chewie met Han for the fist time. It showed a deeper layer within the StarWars universe, and especially later on in the movie, the audience could see for themselves, just what happened to the wookies after the Clone Wars and the Rise of the Empire. So that was nice, but Darth Maul in the end? Really??

You'd think I would be extremely happy about this, but I'm really not. He's the coolest Sith right after Vader, but somehow seeing an older Ray Park as Darth Maul, just... didn't feel that good.

Funny that you talk of cash magnets - just yesterday, i read that the movie isn't doing as well as expected in the box office department.

Not sure about Mila, i mean i respect her because we're almost co-nationals, but i really don't think she could have pulled it off (nor do i like half the movies she acts in, but that's beside the point)

I agree with you that most of these disney action movies, be they marvel, or lucasfilm, or otherwise, are pretty much the same, just in different wrappings, but i suppose that since they're at least entertaining, we can, in theory let it slide. At least they're better than contemporary russian action movies (trust me on that).

As for Maul, can you believe that some fans actually think it was he who trained Qi'ra the Teras Kasi? And that he's gonna make her his apprentice? That's just such a load of dung, i can't believe people actually believe it! Worst thing is that lucasfilms (or whoever's responsible) will probably make it so just to grab onto the cash.

Yes, i was glad to see Maul too, but once i saw the movie itself, i was kinda left wondering.

About 245 million dollars went into making the film, and so far it has only made around 85 million.  A lot of bad reviews for good reason I'd say. This was just about Disney milking more money off the franchise - and they failed in doing so, thank god.

the_raven likes this

I enjoyed the film: it has nice story with funny and adventurous moments, which are reminiscent of Han Solo himself – perhaps that's the way he would tell the story to us) It has new planets, which include some familiar places; new aliens and creatures, as well as classic ones (from Episodes IV-VI), and well, some aspects of Han Solo life, which we already know from Old Canon. Here they are shown in a different way of course. The designs of many things look great, even the ships are a lot more interesting than in Rogue One, they still have classic feel.

The film definitely has a similar style to that from Rogue One, and slightly different approach. That was a war drama, here we have an biography-adventure with sense of humour. 

It was good to see some attention to details, as well as careful links to other stories from Star Wars, these are the ones I spotted:

-Lando had dealings on Felucia, the planet from Episode III

-Bekkett dealed with Aurra Sing

-Pykes from the Clone Wars make an appearance in Solo

-Coronet is posed as a large spaceport of Corellia, like it always was

-We see Kessel, even though it is more like it was in Rebels series

-Jabba the Hutt is mentioned

-Two characters from Rogue One make their appearance in Solo (bounty hunters)

-Scariff is mentioned

What I didn't like at all...

One of the subplots, which is revealed by the end of the film about the Nest, seems to be important, and somehow contradicts the personal story of Han Solo. The fact that they are involved in the early Rebellion and the fight of some natives against Criminal Syndicate – well it's strange for a Solo movie.

The second thing I really dislike, I would say, I hate it – it's the very last scene with Qi'ra, who contacts Darth Maul. I hoped the old Sith died at least for the Rebels. I do know, it takes place before the animated series, but still adding this guy, voiced by Sam Witwer wasn't a very nice move, spoiled the whole experience. It would be far better if we saw a new character or Palpatine, who, I guess, is quite aware of various Syndicates activities.

I also didn't like the L3 droid – she didn't feel like a droid at all.

So I like Rogue One a lot more. :)

Jeff, the_raven and Delta-573 like this