The Last Jedi ( maybe spoiler)

I'm genuinely surprised by all the hate. It was a really enjoyable experience for me, even if it's not the top of the list as far as the films go. I saw it as a clear passing of the torch without feeling too heavy handed about it. I loved that Luke showed power like we haven't seen before. I love that Leia gets the force nod we all knew was there, even if the execution of it wasn't perfect. A lot of the things I've seen questioned across the internet have had precedent in other films.

But with all that being said I'm more disappointed that people didn't enjoy themselves. It's like they went into a different film than I did, or walked into the theater already offended by things they heard on the internet.

I'm not disappointed much, with The Last Jedi.

I haven't expected much.....so naturally....

I was disappointed with the TFA. There, I expected too much.

My younger sister loved this one. But she didn't absorb SW as much as me in her youth.

She is young, that is a fact, but I "poisoned" her with SW when she was 5-6-7 years old.

This youth today is waaaaay different than us, "elders".

I'm 31, but sometimes I feel like I'm 51. Like I was born in '60's.

Back in the day we haven't got internet or games that much.

We played as normal kids outside.

Kids these days are dependent of the web, Instagram, Facebook....etc.

Kids are violent and stupid.

They like ACTION and SPECIAL EFFECTS.

WE, we enjoyed SW as a franchise, as a story, as a book.

Luke Skywalker was our hero and he still is.....my hero.

That is why we are disappointed with the death of LUKE and younger kids aren't.

It is simple as that.....IMHO.

P.S. I don't know why so many fans hate prequels....to me.....they are just intro into the original trilogy.

Expanded with The Clone Wars animation....and with Rebels.

Even Jar Jar was a funny character. Even my mom is laughing at him.

Anakin was annoying character.

I even like younger Kenobi, maybe even more than older one.

Only bright spot in TLJ was.........YODA. The MAN, the JEDI.

This youth today is waaaaay different than us, "elders".

I'm 31, but sometimes I feel like I'm 51. Like I was born in '60's.

Back in the day we haven't got internet or games that much.

We played as normal kids outside.

WE, we enjoyed SW as a franchise, as a story, as a book.

Luke Skywalker was our hero and he still is.....my hero.

That is why we are disappointed with the death of LUKE and younger kids aren't.

Yeah, but I'm almost 40 and I love it. I mean truly to each their own, but I love the fact that Luke isn't invincible. He gave himself in sacrifice so that good could live on, so that a new rebellion could begin. He was a broken man that tapped back into the force for all that was left in him. It sucks that Luke is gone, I totally agree with that. I had kind of hoped that he would train Rey longer. But if he had to go, it would be in defense of a sister he loved and a cause he believed in. I guess that's why I can understand the way he went out. In regards to viewing it as a saga, I see it that way too. Characters come and characters go, yet the story, the world moves on.

Still, I respect that people don't have the same opinions. I guess it's just hard to understand the severity of the hate. Pull it from canon? It just feels rather harsh. I mean we had the yuuzhan vong in the EU -- this is mounds better than that. It truly would have been great if Luke finished the saga alive, but it is what it is, and if he had to go out I like the way he did.

Killjoy likes this

Rey has no training whatsoever-- but fights like a decent padawan/young jedi. Luke does not train Rey in anything significant. Zero saber skills...but then when you look back to original triliogy Luke was pathetic in saber fighting as well-- this is because the fight coreograpghers treated "lightsabers" like broadswords from King Arthur days. The prequels were like-- holy shit! this is how lightsaber fighting is suppose to be. Granted, the earlier, original trilogy saber patheticness was due to the fact that they used delicate Lexan rods that broke easily. I'm just hoping Ezra Bridger, or Obi Wan Force Ghost, shows up in Ep.9 to train Rey and help kill or turn Ben Solo back to the light.

Can't believe I just read some rubbish about how TLJ was 'mounds' better than the Yuuzhan Vong War in the EU :o

@@Teancum, if you really want to understand the severity of the hate, you already do understand it - the issue is exactly that Luke was depicted as "a broken man that tapped back into the force for all that was left in him."

That's not the Luke we know from the original trilogy. That is a fundamentally different character from the one we know, the one that we grew up with. The only one that we actually give a toss about.

To be clear, I'm not mad that Luke died in Episode VIII. Not at all. I'm disappointed that I never got to see Luke in Episode VII or VIII. Not the Luke I know, at least.

And @@Killjoy - no worries. Many of my friends and I feel the same as you do on all points made.

I'm 22 now, and I can tell you that, at least as far as I can tell, High School Classes of 2013 through maybe 2015 were likely the last generation of High School graduates to have really been able to grow up as kids without social media.

I have younger siblings still in High School and I can assure you, there is definitely a generational gap there just in terms of values, beliefs, etc.

Can't believe I just read some rubbish about how TLJ was 'mounds' better than the Yuuzhan Vong War in the EU :o

@@Teancum, if you really want to understand the severity of the hate, you already do understand it - the issue is exactly that Luke was depicted as "a broken man that tapped back into the force for all that was left in him."

That's not the Luke we know from the original trilogy. That is a fundamentally different character from the one we know, the one that we grew up with. The only one that we actually give a toss about.

To be clear, I'm not mad that Luke died in Episode VIII. Not at all. I'm disappointed that I never got to see Luke in Episode VII or VIII. Not the Luke I know, at least.

And @@Killjoy - no worries. Many of my friends and I feel the same as you do on all points made.

I'm 22 now, and I can tell you that, at least as far as I can tell, High School Classes of 2013 through maybe 2015 were likely the last generation of High School graduates to have really been able to grow up as kids without social media.

I have younger siblings still in High School and I can assure you, there is definitely a generational gap there just in terms of values, beliefs, etc.

It makes me happy that people in their 20s being more awake to the flaws in the new star wars material as a whole and not defending it, but criticizing it.

Killjoy likes this

I already wrote about what I didn't like in another topic. Here's what I did like:

1) Snoke's death: I didn't like the fact that he died - being such an alleged badass and all, but the way he died was still cool.

2) The fight scene in Snoke's throne room - it felt somehow amateurish, but I still enjoyed it, maybe it's exactly why I enjoyed it, I don't know. Was also glad to finally see the Imperial Royal Guards in action.

3) The scene where Rey and shirtless Kylo get connected through the Force - that was funny :D

4) When the Resistance's flagship hyperjumps through Snoke's flagship - that was epic!

5) The planet Crait (though I expected it to be spelled as Krayt) and the showdown, but I think some things should have been done differently.

Sadly, that's all.

1) Other people in Korea said that Snoke is stupid because of blind faith of his apprentice and his ego. Well, I think it's right.

2) I thought snoke's royal guards are Knights of Ren but in fact it was not. I was surprised that they could parry a lightsaber with their weapon and fight well.

3) It was a good chance to understand each other and solve their misunderstanding.  But killing his father shouldn't be forgivable !  It's against ethics in the world !  Especially ethics in Korea and China !   Do you remember Arthas Menethil?  He also killed his father and replace his side. He called an immoral person... What a shame... 'Immoral person'... this word doesn't fit to reproach fuck Kylo Ren bullshit !!   Yeah... He should be called 'motherfuc.."  No...  He killed his father so that he should be called 'Fatherfucker' !!!!!

4) It's against the custom of Star Wars.  If it is possible, the Death Stars in 4, 6 should have been destroyed by hyperspace used attack.

5) Finn and that woman spoiled and failed the Resistance. Therefore, many Resistance died because of 'CodeBraker' Bullshit !  They shouldn't have gone there and seeked him.

TheWhitePhoenix likes this

3) It was a good chance to understand each other and solve their misunderstanding.  But killing his father shouldn't be forgivable !  It's against ethics in the world !  Especially ethics in Korea and China !   Do you remember Arthas Menethil?  He also killed his father and replace his side. He called an immoral person... What a shame... 'Immoral person'... this word doesn't fit to reproach fuck Kylo Ren bullshit !!   Yeah... He should be called 'motherfuc.."  No...  He killed his father so that he should be called 'Fatherfucker' !!!!!

It's taboo in my society also, then again, I think it's taboo mostly anywhere, but at least he didn't kill his mother (in the movie, he hesitated, and pulled out, but his soldiers fired on the Resistance ship). Still, killing fathers is more "acceptable" than killing mothers, because mothers have a special connection with their children.

Arthas Menethil? The human prince from Warcraft? Huh, didn't know his family name. But what is this 'immortal person' thing you speak of? Is it related to Arthas and his father, or is it about Kylo Ren and Snoke?

Also, I'm pretty sure 'motherfucker' is an expression used on a bad person who 'fucks mothers', as in a bad husband\ father, because 'fucking' as opposed to 'making love', is something animalistic, aggressive even, it ignores the mother (woman) as a thinking, feeling, emotional being. So a 'motherfucker' is someone who treats a mother (woman) as a sex-object. Therefore, I think calling Kylo\ Ben a 'mother-\fatherfucker' is, at the very least, wrong. But that's just my opinion.

Mother-fucker means you fuck mothers or your own mother. I always thought it was an accusation of incest. Call some one a father-fucker or a brother-fucker it's funnier.(if your culture does stuff like that among friends) Words are not moral actions but if your a pc mother-fucker you think they are. If you think that way your likely too be that person who commits violence toward another  because the shape of the air leaving the lungs of another person hurts your fee fees. It isn't taboo to kill mothers it is Illegal. It is taboo to pee on the floor and not clean it up. 

"Also, I'm pretty sure 'motherfucker' is an expression used on a bad person who 'fucks mothers', as in a bad husband\ father, because 'fucking' as opposed to 'making love', is something animalistic, aggressive even, it ignores the mother (woman) as a thinking, feeling, emotional being. So a 'motherfucker' is someone who treats a mother (woman) as a sex-object"

That is not a definition I have ever heard of . It also sounds naive way of thinking about women that is puritanical.
I interpret the colloquial usage to be " hey your a shifty person that would fuck your friends mother if you got the chance."

Means your untrustworthy but no one uses that word in a serious way anymore because it is over used as a stereotype of African-Americans. It is now mothafucka.

Anway off topic sorry. 

Arthas Menethil? The human prince from Warcraft? Huh, didn't know his family name. But what is this 'immortal person' thing you speak of? Is it related to Arthas and his father, or is it about Kylo Ren and Snoke?

https://youtu.be/A20Dcw9Izyo

After he came back to Lordaeron, his kingdom, he entered the throne room of the king and took off his hood. And he began to draw the Frostmourne and approached his father. After that, his father, Terenas Menethil asked "What is this? What are you doing, my son?".  Then, Arthas said "Succeeding you, Father.".  Then his sword pierced his father and he died. Although the way of killing their father is different, Arthas and Kylo commited the same crime. And the sort of lethal weapon is the same, dark sword, red cracked lightsaber. Both weapon is famous, too.

Arthas killed his father, Terenas.

Ben killed his father, Han.

https://youtu.be/A20Dcw9Izyo

After he came back to Lordaeron, his kingdom, he entered the throne room of the king and took off his hood. And he began to draw the Frostmourne and approached his father. After that, his father, Terenas Menethil asked "What is this? What are you doing, my son?".  Then, Arthas said "Succeeding you, Father.".  Then his sword pierced his father and he died. Although the way of killing their father is different, Arthas and Kylo commited the same crime. And the sort of lethal weapon is the same, dark sword, red cracked lightsaber. Both weapon is famous, too.

Arthas killed his father, Terenas.

Ben killed his father, Han.

I know who Arthas is, and what he did. All I said is that I didn't know his family name. Anyway, moving on.

Yeah, but I'm almost 40 and I love it. I mean truly to each their own, but I love the fact that Luke isn't invincible. He gave himself in sacrifice so that good could live on, so that a new rebellion could begin. He was a broken man that tapped back into the force for all that was left in him. It sucks that Luke is gone, I totally agree with that. I had kind of hoped that he would train Rey longer. But if he had to go, it would be in defense of a sister he loved and a cause he believed in. I guess that's why I can understand the way he went out. In regards to viewing it as a saga, I see it that way too. Characters come and characters go, yet the story, the world moves on.

Still, I respect that people don't have the same opinions. I guess it's just hard to understand the severity of the hate. Pull it from canon? It just feels rather harsh. I mean we had the yuuzhan vong in the EU -- this is mounds better than that. It truly would have been great if Luke finished the saga alive, but it is what it is, and if he had to go out I like the way he did.

As a stand-alone movie......it is OK. But as a part of a saga....it sucks. The way Luke died, it is OK.

Reason WHY he died.......IT SUCKS.

Snoke is dead. I hoped that he will throw Skywalker like a ragdoll.

I wanted some big FIGHT MAN!

X-Wings are COOL. Poe was awesome and so is Fin.

But overall.....3 out of 10. And that would be poor 3.

Rey has no training whatsoever-- but fights like a decent padawan/young jedi. Luke does not train Rey in anything significant. Zero saber skills...but then when you look back to original triliogy Luke was pathetic in saber fighting as well-- this is because the fight coreograpghers treated "lightsabers" like broadswords from King Arthur days. The prequels were like-- holy shit! this is how lightsaber fighting is suppose to be. Granted, the earlier, original trilogy saber patheticness was due to the fact that they used delicate Lexan rods that broke easily. I'm just hoping Ezra Bridger, or Obi Wan Force Ghost, shows up in Ep.9 to train Rey and help kill or turn Ben Solo back to the light.

Lightsaber fights in prequels???

That would be HOLY SHIT!

Yoda and Dooku in Ep2? AMAZING!

Ben and Anakin in EP3?

Ben and Maul (after Qui-Gons death PART) when Kenobi enters the room and start to kick his ass...DAAAMN!

Lightsaber fights are the main reason why I love the prequels.

The whole Jedi and Sith religion and lightsabers amazes me...

TheWhitePhoenix likes this

Watched the movie a second time.

The action scenes really are a joy. The fight in the throne room was the highlight for me for sure.

I'm glad both directors have steered mostly clear of prequel style ballerina show combat, the lightsaber fights are my least favorite thing from the prequels.

The Luke/Rey/Kylo stuff had some value. Kylo turns out to be a pretty interesting villain.

But the movie otherwise is a bit of a chore and full of missing character development.

Snoke didn't matter, Knights of Ren? Who were they? Were the guards the Knights of Ren? Well, doesn't matter.

Rey is very 'perfect'. Luke feared she would be uncontrollable like Ben Solo, but nothing really interesting has happened with her so far.

The movie has some clever parts too though. I missed it twice, but apparently Rey took the Jedi books from the tree. And Yoda says there is nothing in that library that the girl Rey does not possess, or something, as he burns the tree.

the_raven likes this

I saw it. I kinda liked it but there were some lines and scenes where i thought i watch some Nickelodeon sitcom. I was dissapointed because i hoped Luke will be the most badass character, it turned out it was a old grandpa who threw his father lightsaber like a piece of sh*t.

About Snoke, i was thinking about a great finale, with Rey and Ren against Snoke or something like that, not been killed by his apprentice,  the same story Darth Vader - Palpatine. Both movies , TFA and TLJ , are cool for the people who don't give a single flying f*ck about SW, but for us who knew even more then SW I-VI it kinda sucks.

Killjoy and the_raven like this
  • 4 weeks later...

I know it is sad and it can make you mad. But I know that he is going to be a force ghost and he will help Rey like Obi-Wan Helped Luke.

I felt the same for Han Solo I really liked his character, Even though Luke is my favorite  (Anakin Skywalker is my favorite character in all Star Wars) But Luke is dead... But not really dead. he will never be dead. Just like Obi-Wan, He dies but we knew that he is very important to the story just like Luke will be and of course It's just like the new hope so yes... But me personally I loved the scene how he fooled Ben. I did hate how Luke dies by just using the force, which is stupid,

But my favorite scenes was Kylo And Rey fighting scene, Yoda cameo, Luke Vs Kylo and the scene where the old rebellion ships vs the First Order. But I would give the movie overall rating a 7.6 out of 10, so yeah it was a good movie but there were some scenes that we stupid like Flying Leia scene, Luke Dying, Kylo Buff scene and Rey's training (it was kind of cringy for me)