Zyk OpenJK Mod UI fail

Go to solution Solved by Zyk,

I know this mod is probably not going to have the greatest level of tech support, but I figured I'd post here as well as on the mod comments as well. My RP community Shattered Worlds just moved to this mod. We love it, but (at least for me) the client is having an issue where it doesn't generate the mod-specific UI menus. It seems to be an issue with creating uix86.dll and having to revert to legacy. Although I tried putting in the most recent OpenJK version of this file, it still breaks. Regardless of whether or not this is related, the UI menus for the Zykmod specific content all generate red error messages leaving a menu button that when clicked does nothing. Any ideas as to why these menus are failing? Should I try compiling a newer version from Github? --  I see there was a "fix" a few months ago for integrating with newer OpenJK builds?  @@Zyk got any ideas?

Zyk and Smoo like this

You aren't altering the OpenJK exe files are you? I assumed that the entirety of the client is in the cgame dll files and the uix files and such. All of that I kept and it's broken.

Not being able to use the most recent OpenJK exe files is rather unacceptable since there were fixes made in OpenJK to the console access for European keyboards, which I thankfully no longer have to answer on a weekly basis when I get people to run OpenJK. If your mod doesn't fix that, then many people will have to go without menus for the OpenJK upgrade.

Ah so...update. We discovered the September 11th version of OpenJK works. It is only the more recent updates that don't. No idea why the newer builds aren't working right. Regardless, that's an acceptable update level since that includes the Euro keyboard update. Seems like it isn't your mod but an OpenJK thing. Cheers!

Using a nightly build is always risky because they don't necessarily quality check every single night. :P

This is also why they *really* need to get a stable and official release out ASAP, so people know that they're downloading something stable.

Indeed.  Also, my menus are still wonky but other people say theirs are working. Also our guy using rend2 says the newer OpenJK wasn't working with that either. So yeah, gonna say the 9-11 version of OpenJK is probably the most stable right now.

Also @@Zyk, shake says hi.  :D

Oh hi : p

The last OpenJK update in my mod was in v3.56, in June of 2017. : )

Also, yes I did a small change in the client openjk exe so you can open the menu with a keyboard shortcut, you can /bind key zykmodopen : p

But, maybe I should release a new version with an up-to-date OpenJK, so it will have the euro keyboard fix and other fixes too! : )

Update:  apparently it IS the mod, it's the Visual C runtime libraries being of the 140 variety instead of 120. If you remove those after updating to a newer version of OpenJK it works fine I guess. So no need to recompile it, I'll just make sure my community has the right instructions on how to update OpenJK without breaking the mod.  :D  I mean, I can live without binding the menu.  hahah

So yeah basically I just made a custom distribution for the mod that doesn't include the OpenJK files and has updated .dll files in the folder and everything is running gloriously now. That should eliminate any future headaches. If you *do* update the mod though, please let us know!

Also, if you DO decide to update the mod, it'd be amazing to have 2 more features. We'd love if we could enter a command that showed what class skills we've purchased and to what level.  We'd also love if you could give admins a notarget command for the NPCs so that we can have PC-controlled bad guys have mobs with them and not get attacked. It doesn't always work with friendlies when they are ordered to guard.  :)

Oh. The command to list skill levels and upgrades bought exists already : p

There are 5 commands to see skill levels: /list force, /list weapons, /list other, /list ammo, /list items : )

Also, you can see the upgrades bought from seller with /list stuff : )

Hi! : )

The file 04 - RPG Basics.txt has the commands, and the tutorial shows them too : p

Also, some skills will not appear depending on the class you choose, because they are disablked for the class. Example: A Bounty Hunter cannot have force powers, so all force (except Sense) will not appear in /list force.

Sense is allowed because it is the mind resistance against Mind Control ability of Force User class : p

That isn't what I mean @@Zyk.

I have a Free Warrior with like 8 different Force powers already purchased. It only lists Team Energize. I also have purchased a blaster and ammo for it and it only shows Melee and Det Packs.  o.0

Also, if you do develop the mod more, I forgot to mention to my wish-list: increasing the limit for .veh extensions would be nice. :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • Solution

Hi!

The v3.64 of the mod has the updated OpenJK now!

It supports 128 .veh and 128 veh weapons.

I also added note about missing dlls in Installation Instructions file. : )

So @@Tzu, please try the new 3.64 version and see if menu works now, please use all the binaries from the mod including uix86.dll.

This time things should work! : p