BATTLEFRONT MODELS TO JKA? :D

I doubt anyone is gonna bother porting when we have models specifically tailored for JKA.

To be fair, I still think we could do with a NEW (more accurate) Kylo Ren model (w/ respect to lervish and Plasma). When you start looking at models, you notice small details that can throw off the accuracy, somewhat. So, personally.. I'd be all for, that NEW Kylo Ren model (posted above by the OP). The others aren't really too much of an issue.

Maul = We already have DT's version

&

Rey = We have Scerendo's version.

PreFXDesigns likes this

My personal point of view is, that you should try it on your own. Believe me from my small experience so far.... the Battlefront 2017 game contains so much high poly models, that JKA can't handle them even with OpenJK and whatever else there might be for those needs. Keep in mind for example the Beta version of Kylo Ren's head from TLJ (only the head) was somewhere about 13K (yes, 13,000 verts) the required amount for JKA is less than 1000 (to be specific less than 900 for one single mesh object in order to run smooth in the game, without any issues).

Also you might consider to listen the advise of more experienced modelers here, like Ashura when he saw the Kylo Ren head and showed me how the textures can be improved, because the original textures 'as extracted from the game' do n-o-t look that HD and that good on JKA even with correct shader files.

In the end: You may spend billion hours of porting one full model or even just his head, but you won't end up having that great result at all. I know it's very hard to at least give it a try and make something own from scratch, but hey... if you have patience other people in here like Ashura or Scerendo can make amazeballs new age models for JKA (speaking about the Version 2 updates of his Finn, Poe, Rey models) those are new approaches of modeling for JKA made from scratch and yet look way more better than what we had in 2003 - 2007 with older JKA models or even vanila models. Even I can't fight myself enough to get and learn something useful, but as Corto advised they can be at least a good reference when you build your own stuff

I am not anti ports or anti something, just looking and what those and other people are capable of creating this days, can really inspire you and all it takes is to spend your time, make it even when it looks very hard and may get you down wanting to give up on it, but it's all up to you. I bet that all of them started from way uglier scratch made "frankensteins" until they progressed in their own skills causing them to produce today much better content. Better go pay something like 60 USD and play the game on PC or PS4 / Xbox :)

PreFXDesigns, Tompa9, Jeff and 2 others like this

To be fair, I still think we could do with a NEW (more accurate) Kylo Ren model (w/ respect to lervish and Plasma). When you start looking at models, you notice small details that can throw off the accuracy, somewhat. So, personally.. I'd be all for, that NEW Kylo Ren model (posted above by the OP). The others aren't really too much of an issue.

Maul = We already have DT's version

&

Rey = We have Scerendo's version.

I'm completely disagreeing with you, Lervish did a great job on the head but the real problem is in Kylo's hair because it's way too thin. Just putting Toshi's Anakin hair(And I mean Toshi's, not Hapslash) would fit the character way better. 

RNfyssd.jpg

500.png

Why port poorly a character model when you can just kitbash it and get it truly perfect...

General Howard likes this

I'm completely disagreeing with you, Lervish did a great job on the head but the real problem is in Kylo's hair because it's way too thin. Just putting Toshi's Anakin hair(And I mean Toshi's, not Hapslash) would fit the character way better. 

RNfyssd.jpg

500.png

Why port poorly a character model when you can just kitbash it and get it truly perfect...

Honestly, it's the arms (or in this case, the "sleeves") that no-one has seemingly managed to get right. Even lervish/Plasma's model. Look at movie version Kylo Ren, then look at the models. I'm primarily talking about TFA version. I think it could be the sculpting that's off and the way the model was "built/moulded". If they can get that right, then they're onto something. But until then, it'll never be 100% accurate.

Honestly, it's the arms (or in this case, the "sleeves") that no-one has seemingly managed to get right. Even lervish/Plasma's model. Look at movie version Kylo Ren, then look at the models. I'm primarily talking about TFA version. I think it could be the sculpting that's off and the way the model was "built/moulded". If they can get that right, then they're onto something. But until then, it'll never be 100% accurate.

The sleevees look like the movie version though...?

Okay but I mean why not just port the arms or edit them yourself if that is what you do desire? Instead of remaking it all and just saying "f plasma". I don't know that's kind of just how I see it. That's what I've done a few times with textures. I use XNormal on a previously established model to give the textures a from svdaych makeover.

dark_apprentice and Wasa like this

To port these, you'd need either rend2 to be completed to use the textures or someone needs to take the time to bake them. The poly count will need to be lowered either way.

You will never get battlefront quality even with the models ported but in saying that, rend2 would bring it pretty close.

Not really any baking to be done, if they supply a normal map it's a matter of a few conversions and some blending trickery in photoshop.

General Howard likes this

More thinking of the PBR textures, though yeah photoshop would work.

Still, extra work to be done.

Making these models look decent in JKA is nothing different than what I do with my custom models at all.

Converting PBR Materials for JKA is not that difficult if you know what you are doing.