Ogre3D renderer?

Lord Grievous

Hi, I've been following this project for some time now and I'd like to thank those people who are doing their best to keep these games alive!

I also know that there is a separate project in development for a new renderer (Rend2), but since it's being developed by a single person (mostly) it will take a very long time to see it completed. As I understand it the new renderer isn't yet feature complete, only works in multiplayer and isn't very stable.

Has anyone considered using the http://www.ogre3d.org/ engine as a replacement render pipeline in the OpenJK project? It has all the features you'd expect from what I can tell and it's already developed and stable. Not to mention open-source and free.

It seems a bit silly to spend years to develop something if a free alternative already exists. As long as we don't have a new renderer with modern features like normal maps/specular maps/real-time lighting & shadowing etc.. these games will drift further into obscurity :(

Please don't take this suggestion as a way to bash your work, I'm happy that this community is still alive. But I really want to start a new Jedi Knight modding project again, and right now I'm looking more towards using the idtech4/Source/UE4 engine because they are modern stable projects. They have physics support, better AI support, skeletal animation (!) and are easier to develop on (especially UE4).

On the other hand this would mean doing a lot more work like coding in all the NPCs/lightsaber combat/ etc.. whereas the OpenJK project together with GtkRadiant have full support for modding these games with all existing features.

I really do think that the Quake 3 engine is still a very nice looking engine, and after all, good gameplay is just as important. But the base graphics are beginning to look old. Having a new renderer would be a huge step to bring this game back into people's hearts :)

EDIT: On a side note, would it be possible to integrate some parts of the Doom 3 source code into this project? Both are open-source so legally it wouldn't matter. Maybe if we could integrate the D3 renderer into OpenJK?

Hi, I've been following this project for some time now and I'd like to thank those people who are doing their best to keep these games alive!

[...]

Hi! I think many people have proposed using an existing rendering engine to fit into JKA. Personally I would choose the bgfx renderer if I were to do this. Someone else has already made some progress with this for ioq3. There's two problems though: 1. there's a lot of weird things that the Q3 engine does which would still need to be supported by a new renderer, whether or not it's hand-built or uses an existing rendering engine, 2. there's nobody who wants to take on the task :P

EDIT: On a side note, would it be possible to integrate some parts of the Doom 3 source code into this project? Both are open-source so legally it wouldn't matter. Maybe if we could integrate the D3 renderer into OpenJK?

Being 'Open Source' doesn't automatically mean you can start using code from another project. Doom 3 code is released with a license which is incompatible with OpenJK which means we can't use, or even write code which is based on, D3 code.

Okay, thanks for the clarification.

For now I'm just gonna start my mod on OpenJK, and either the Rend2 renderer finishes at the same time as my mod, in which case I'll stick to OpenJK.

Or, I'll use the Hammuer plugin to convert my maps to UE4 and have to code in everything else :

EDIT: Concerning Rend2, can someone explain to me why they have a separate SP/MP branch of the renderer? Shouldn't the renderer be indifferent to the gameplay?