Translations

During the times of the old KotF, making this mod available in many kinds of languages was one of the main priorities.

And in a community where most mods are predominantly English, this was something that set KotF apart.

As far as I know, KotF supported languages such as Italian, Spanish, German, Portugues, Czech, Danish, Dutch, French and even Turkish. Truly an ambitious project, and of course a big one. So, I thought, why not continue what the old mod started? I know, including more languages would mean more work that needs to be done, which would slow the progress down. That's why I think that the whole process could be done some time after the beta release. That way, people can take time to take a look at the mod, and if they feel it could be translated into another language (most ideally their mother language), they could contact the developers to get the needed files and instructions.

Also, because the whole process doesn't really take that much of effort and requirements (except for proper grammar), pretty much everyone with no modding experience can be included. All they need to do is getting the files, translating the text and sending them back to the developers.

What do you think?

Smoo likes this
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Actually, it would be interesting to have translations from Asia, such as Chinese, Japanese and Korean.

The only problem might be to integrate the Chinese/Japanese/Korean typefaces to the game. Is that even possible?

@@syainkn, are you interested in translating this mod? Or do you know someone who might be interested?

@@syainkn, are you interested in translating this mod? Or do you know someone who might be interested?

I can translate English into Korean but I don't have a programming skill to input it to the code.

If you can send sentences and words for translation, I will interpret it and send back to you.

I can translate English into Korean but I don't have a programming skill to input it to the code.

If you can send sentences and words for translation, I will interpret it and send back to you.

It's actually super easy. All you need is Notepad++ to edit the text files, nothing else.

And once you've done, you can send it to the KotF 2.1 team. Not to me, as I only started the topic to ask who would like to translate.

Interestingly, the Korean alphabet is found in the game files (at least as tga-files), but there is no font for that.

@@eezstreet

In the font folder, there are these additional languages:

- Japanese (just tga; no font file)

- Korean (just tga; no font file)

- Chinese (just tga; no font file)

- Tai (just tga; no font file)

- Thai (just tga; no font file)

- Russian (tga and font file)

- Polish (tga and font file)

My question: Is there any way to make them accessible (in other words, compatible with the game)? Because you can't select them in the game, there are only four languages.

It's actually super easy. All you need is Notepad++ to edit the text files, nothing else.

And once you've done, you can send it to the KotF 2.1 team. Not to me, as I only started the topic to ask who would like to translate.

Interestingly, the Korean alphabet is found in the game files (at least as tga-files), but there is no font for that.

@@eezstreet

My question: Is there any way to make them accessible (in other words, compatible with the game)? Because you can't select them in the game, there are only four languages.

Likely some super-complicated coding stuff. I'm more concerned however for the Japanese, Chinese, and Korean languages. I don't know if those characters would be possible to bring into the game.

@@eezstreet

With a console command: /se_language "Japanese" (as an example).

Because Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Thai and Russian do not use 8-bit languages like Latin ones do, they have some special handling in the .str files for those. But I'm not sure how it works. I think it reads two characters as one and adds them together when rendering the 16-bit glyph. Or something.

Chinese is split between Simplified Chinese (which is what the "Chinese" language uses) and Traditional Chinese (which is what "Tai" uses, because Traditional Chinese is used in Taiwan)

http://aqune.tistory.com/99

Hey !  Access this site and try to download attached file.   Maybe it's korean JKA patch file.

I think you can find a solution in the .pk3 file. 

Or, Here !  I uploaded that file in my blog. Here is my mirror link.

http://blogattach.naver.com/8b1e9723360001b7987e1c2111f78df75203fb80/20180201_51_blogfile/syainkn2000_1517483734125_K1yO74_pk3/Jedi_Academy_korean_patch.pk3?type=attachment

http://aqune.tistory.com/99

Hey !  Access this site and try to download attached file.   Maybe it's korean JKA patch file.

I think you can find a solution in the .pk3 file. 

Or, Here !  I uploaded that file in my blog. Here is my mirror link.

http://blogattach.naver.com/8b1e9723360001b7987e1c2111f78df75203fb80/20180201_51_blogfile/syainkn2000_1517483734125_K1yO74_pk3/Jedi_Academy_korean_patch.pk3?type=attachment

Tested the patch. It works. Is this a fan-made patch? If so, it would be cool to find the ones who made it and ask if they would like to join in.

Anyway, this may be helpful in some way. The question now is, how can we incorporate the language into the mod? @@Linken @@eezstreet

Now, everybody might ask "Why does Lancelot even bother to help get these languages in this mod?". The answer: To give everyone the chance to experience this mod in their own language.

Not everyone might speak or write English very good, and it's a difference if you play a mod in English or in your own language.

Also, I found this tool called Font Builder, which was modified to be compatible with Jedi Outcast. But it should work for Jedi Academy as well. https://jk2.info/viewtopic.php?t=442

Tested the patch. It works. Is this a fan-made patch? If so, it would be cool to find the ones who made it and ask if they would like to join in.

The people who made this is missing. Their site was sold out and became a advertisement page. I tried to find them but I couldn't.

Their legacy is this file, and this patch was missing for a time, too.  A brave man tried to find it and made it !

That's why I could find this and linked it here. The site I linked is his blog. But maybe he's not a programmer or translator.

I hope this wil help you.  And...  May the Force be with you.

Lancelot and TicNoel501 like this

Their legacy is this file, and this patch was missing for a time, too.  A brave man tried to find it and made it !

running-with-plansgif.gif

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist. It reminded me of this scene.  :D

Seriously, this is a great thing that somebody was able to find a patch that was considered lost.

Maybe this could be something for the JKHub file section. You could ask Circa if you can upload the file here.

Smoo likes this
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...