[Mapping] Splotchy Patch Shadows

Go to solution Solved by AshuraDX,

I just ran into this problem with my patchbased terrain:

L854dgml.jpg

mONMNY9l.jpg

I have tried a number of things to fix this, but so far nothing has worked. The best results so far came from a combination of adjusted samplesize and _lightmapscale

Remember i wanted to make the terrain from patches too. Sadly i think that they will not work well. You can always import and export it as the Ase model and just leave the patches that You made and give them clip like texture that will use material like snow or sand (depend What You want to do )

You could also turn the patches into a func_group and give the group a key/value pair of "_cs 0" to prevent them from casting shadows on themselves (or anything else). I'm not sure if q3map2 is very good at rendering self-shadowed patches, unfortunately.

Alternately, you could always use the "-filter" command in the light compile to add a blurring effect to the lightmap. I've heard that this makes splotchy shadows less visible. Then, if the terrain texture you use has a decent amount of visual noise, the splotches might not be noticeable at all.

You could also turn the patches into a func_group and give the group a key/value pair of "_cs 0" to prevent them from casting shadows on themselves (or anything else). I'm not sure if q3map2 is very good at rendering self-shadowed patches, unfortunately.

Alternately, you could always use the "-filter" command in the light compile to add a blurring effect to the lightmap. I've heard that this makes splotchy shadows less visible. Then, if the terrain texture you use has a decent amount of visual noise, the splotches might not be noticeable at all.

I'm allready compiling with filter, _cs 0 is a good idea, I'll try that. let's see what happens.