Anyone Thought About Blocking At All?

It's just occurred to me- most servers run games with Saber Only on, meaning melee combat is the primary form of offence in most multiplayer matches. And yet despite this melee-heavy focus for the community... no-one seems to have made a mod that actually gives us a manual blocking feature. We have one mod that makes Saber Throw a Force power and reassigns how Mouse 2 works- but while such needless tweaks like that are made, no one seems to have thought of adding a simple block button. In a cult-classic game prided on laser-sword fighting, there is no block button.

Are there any mods out that that give us a block button? Is there something fundamental in the game's source code that prevents such a feature being made? Am I seriously the first person to even suggest the idea?

It's just occurred to me- most servers run games with Saber Only on, meaning melee combat is the primary form of offence in most multiplayer matches. And yet despite this melee-heavy focus for the community... no-one seems to have made a mod that actually gives us a manual blocking feature. We have one mod that makes Saber Throw a Force power and reassigns how Mouse 2 works- but while such needless tweaks like that are made, no one seems to have thought of adding a simple block button. In a cult-classic game prided on laser-sword fighting, there is no block button.

Are there any mods out that that give us a block button? Is there something fundamental in the game's source code that prevents such a feature being made? Am I seriously the first person to even suggest the idea?

If the only thing you want is blocking try this.http://www.moddb.com/mods/serenityjediengine-20/downloads/jediacademy-un-official-update-2017

If you want a full combat upgrade.http://www.moddb.com/mods/serenityjediengine-20/downloads/serenityjediengine2018-advanced-rc1-beta

Smoo likes this

Both Movie Battles II and the Open Jedi Project implemented blocking mechanics. Movie Battles even has a block button for lightsaber combat.

Smoo likes this

MB2 definitely simplified saber combat with a manual block button. Idk if you're looking for block buttons or if you'd be interested in how blocking works as a standard in JKA base and/or JA+? I mean, the block system in the game by default is complex but very nice in my opinion, hence why I would not even think to go to something with a click-to-block sort of standard. Buuut there are mods out there that do that for people who clearly disagree with me there. (That said, as a side note, Mount & Blade style blocking would seem okay for that as opposed to a simplistic click-and-block one at least.)

Smoo likes this
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I think lol. It was heavily inspired by MB2. As for the JK2 side of things, that was mostly unintentional, but it's still somewhat inspired by it lol. I think it's a combination of the slightly slower saber attacks, the Reborn and possibly even Bespin, despite it being a JK3 map.

So, should I release it? If so, should I make an extra PK3 that replaces the base NPCs to use this sort of style? If so, (again) should I give everyone Single Sabers? And should I include the music for that map?

Smoo likes this
  • 2 months later...