GtkRadiant on Windows 10? Cannot compile BSP.

Short:

Does GtkRadiant work with Windows 10 correctly? I'm getting the same error regardles of what map file I load:

"Error opening E:/JK_Modding/Projects/Space/space.srf: No such file or directory"

I've used GtkRadiant for JA before, but that was years ago. That is the only error message I am seeing.

Long:

After ~5 years, I'm trying to get back into Jedi Academy modding. OpenJK seems mature and stable, I've got a much more solid grasp of C++ than when I first dabbled in code mods, and I have finally talked a friend into playing.

I'm trying to set up GtkRadiant so I can make a simple testing map so I can mess around with the spacecraft vehicles. I downloaded the latest build (1.6.5-20170820), extracted it, and pointed it to a copy of OpenJK with just the default PK3s. I built a very simple map (large box with a player spawnpoint entity) and went to compile a BSP and get testing.

No matter what I do, though, I cannot compile a BSP. I get the following:

=== running BSP command ===
 "E:/JK_Modding/Tools/GtkRadiant-1.6.5-20170820/q3map2" -v  -connect 127.0.0.1:39000  -game ja -fs_basepath "E:/JK_Modding/Game/OpenJK/" -light -faster "E:/JK_Modding/Projects/Space/space.map"
Connected.
8 threads
Q3Map         - v1.0r (c) 1999 Id Software Inc.
Q3Map (ydnar) - v2.5.17
GtkRadiant    - v1.6.5 Aug 20 2017 17:29:27
We're still here
--- InitPaths ---
VFS Init: E:/JK_Modding/Game/OpenJK//base/

--- Light ---
Faster mode enabled
Map has shader script E:/JK_Modding/Projects/Space/../shaders/q3map2_space.shader
entering shaders/shaderlist.txt
entering shaders/bespin.shader

...and it goes through all the shaders...

entering shaders/wedge.shader
entering shaders/yavin.shader
     2215 shaderInfo
Loading E:/JK_Modding/Projects/Space/space.bsp
Loading E:/JK_Modding/Projects/Space/space.srf
************ ERROR ************
Error opening E:/JK_Modding/Projects/Space/space.srf: No such file or directory
Disconnecting
Connection closed.

I don't think I've encountered this issue before.

I have tried running Radiant as an Administrator, I made sure file permissions for the directory were set correctly, and I'm not really sure what else to try.

This is probably a dumb question, since you have a history with modding, but...did you make sure to do a -meta compile before running the -light compile? The answer is probably yes, since it looks like it found the .bsp file okay, but I just wanted to make sure.

If that's not the issue...I know that when I still used Windows 7, the OS would sometimes stick files created by Radiant into a "Virtual Store," calling them "compatibility files," and refusing to display them alongside normal files in the same folder. At first I thought it wasn't saving the map files at all, until I saw the button to view compatibility files and move them out of the Virtual Store. Could this be the issue?

This is probably a dumb question, since you have a history with modding, but...did you make sure to do a -meta compile before running the -light compile? The answer is probably yes, since it looks like it found the .bsp file okay, but I just wanted to make sure.

I'm so embarrassed. That seems to have been exactly what the problem was. I had skimmed through the "Getting Started" tutorial here on JKhub and since everything was so familiar I thought I remembered everything I needed.

Problem solved, thank you.

Just as well. I've spent the past several hours dusting off my UV mapping and texture painting skills in Blender.

Langerd likes this