Sith Temple (2017 restart) preview!

First look at the progress on my new redesigned Sith Temple. As some of you might know, my previous work on this project was completely lost, forcing me to start over from scratch. I took the opportunity to redesign the temple more efficiently and approach the build armed with the experiences of the previous attempt, allowing me to avoid some of the pitfalls that held up development, and generally do things better. One major difference is I decided to start from the top. Previously I started at the bottom and by the time I got to the top, I was struggling to come up with a layout that was as good as the lower levels. Additionally I am building in pieces, allowing me to really focus on making every section the best I can. Once all the sections are polished up, then I'll assemble them as prefabs and tie it all together. (I used this approach on my Phantom Knights Training Academy map.)

Now this first preview is still unfinished, but it's close enough to the final look to give you an idea of what to expect. As usual, expect future updates in this thread.

Sith_Throne_Room.jpg

swegmaster, Smoo, Jeff and 18 others like this
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Any progress?

Yes actually! After a nice long vacation to recharge my batteries, I'm back on the job!

It's easy to burn out on a project this big. I wish I could get it done faster, but I'm only one woman, and there is A LOT to do! The temple apex is nearly done, but I just hit a creative block designing a fitting Sith Alchemy altar model, so I took time off so I could look at it with fresh eyes later, and honestly, it's one model, so it can wait while I work on the rest of the temple.

Also if you're curious why I'm talking about an alter for the apex, that's because I realized the apex is too small a room to make a suitable throne room as it is in the above screenshot. I decided the throne room should be massive, so that's going in the sub-level.

The good news I just "broke ground" on the main floor! This is the area that will be most reminiscent of the Korriban Academy from SWTOR (but still different). I can't wait to show everyone what it looks like once it's far enough along for another preview!

However, since it's New Year's Eve, I think it's only fair I reward everyone's patience with the latest screenshot of the Temple Apex!

Sith_Temple_Apex_12-31-17.jpg

Yes actually! After a nice long vacation to recharge my batteries, I'm back on the job!

It's easy to burn out on a project this big. I wish I could get it done faster, but I'm only one woman, and there is A LOT to do! The temple apex is nearly done, but I just hit a creative block designing a fitting Sith Alchemy altar model, so I took time off so I could look at it with fresh eyes later, and honestly, it's one model, so it can wait while I work on the rest of the temple.

Also if you're curious why I'm talking about an alter for the apex, that's because I realized the apex is too small a room to make a suitable throne room as it is in the above screenshot. I decided the throne room should be massive, so that's going in the sub-level.

The good news I just "broke ground" on the main floor! This is the area that will be most reminiscent of the Korriban Academy from SWTOR (but still different). I can't wait to show everyone what it looks like once it's far enough along for another preview!

However, since it's New Year's Eve, I think it's only fair I reward everyone's patience with the latest screenshot of the Temple Apex!

Sith_Temple_Apex_12-31-17.jpg

Can You show us some screens with dynamic glow turned on? Also i would add a little but a little grayisch blue fog just to make the lights bloom even more and give this place an amazing atmosphere. 

Amazing work.

PK_Azlon likes this

Can You show us some screens with dynamic glow turned on? Also i would add a little but a little grayisch blue fog just to make the lights bloom even more and give this place an amazing atmosphere. 

Amazing work.

Perhaps when it's a bit further along. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have serious doubts that fog and lots of glowing will not sabotage fps performance. Atmosphere and style are well and good, but it will boil down to nothing if performance will be poor. And after all its some kind of learning-living facility, why would there be a fog? But anyway thats just me thinking.

This is precisely why I've been leaning against the idea. With as large as I am hoping to make this, it's better to avoid such things.

Xanemus, Jeff and Darth Reborn like this
  • 3 weeks later...

Would make a super cool detail in the archives room if you added busts of few known sith lords infront of the pillars, similar to the jedi archives seen in episode two. There are plenty of good player models available here, so you would basically only need to take the head from one of those and make a few simple shapes with blender, and you're almost done. 

jedi_archives03.jpg

Xanemus, Langerd and PreFXDesigns like this

Would make a super cool detail in the archives room if you added busts of few known sith lords infront of the pillars, similar to the jedi archives seen in episode two. There are plenty of good player models available here, so you would basically only need to take the head from one of those and make a few simple shapes with blender, and you're almost done. 

jedi_archives03.jpg

Cool idea here! (also i rly like this deleted scene. Normaly lively scenes is something i  miss in prequals.)

I suggest at first just make map that works and plays as intended, and only after that throw some extra stuff with scripts and all that, if you feel like it. Your work is too important,a high quality sith temple map has been too damn long overdue and i would be happy to see it before i loose all thats left from my interest to this game. Dont get me wrong, just saying.

ZanderNao likes this
  • 1 month later...