Getting sharp edges on md3s in-game

So I have been making models in Lightwave and sending them to blender for md3 export, since nobody makes md3 exporters for newer versions of LW3D. The problem I run into is that the shading on the models while testing the map looks weird, similar to how they tend to look in blender without the proper smoothing/sharpened edges. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Would simply unwelding the verticies at sharp edges help, or is there something I'm missing?

-On the contrary, sharp edges are usually a result of unwelding verts, it's like creating smoothing groups manually.

-If you are using .OBJ when exporting from LW to blender, it could be the issue: i've seen instances where the model's appearance was "locked" into its exported state, what i mean by that is the model looked like garbage and you couldnt reset the smoothing groups unless you applied a reset xform (not sure if there's something similar in blender).

-The other thing to check is how UV mapping is laid out, games like to break models at UV splits. GLM from blender have issues when it comes to UV splits, at least with player models, same could be happening with .md3.

Show screengrabs and describe your export/import process between the 2 apps.

PK_Azlon likes this

after modeling and uv-mapping, I typically merge verts unless I have a specific reason not to. Then I convert the quads to triangles. I export as a wavefront obj, then import into blender, where I set up the md3shader and export the md3. For the model in these screenshots, I went back in and tried selecting and sharpening the edges where needed (most of the model frankly). However I was doubtful that this would affect the final md3, and I was right. It didn't help.

shot2017-09-13_13-35-54.jpg shot2017-09-13_13-36-26.jpg shot2017-09-13_13-36-38.jpg 

The model in question is this approximation of the door-frames in SWTOR (I've since come to question making them so similar to SWTOR's and might rebuild similar to my previous map version's frames.)

As you can see, the edges aren't sharp and the shading on flat surfaces gets weird, making the triangles more obvious.

after modeling and uv-mapping, I typically merge verts unless I have a specific reason not to. Then I convert the quads to triangles. I export as a wavefront obj, then import into blender, where I set up the md3shader and export the md3. For the model in these screenshots, I went back in and tried selecting and sharpening the edges where needed (most of the model frankly). However I was doubtful that this would affect the final md3, and I was right. It didn't help.

shot2017-09-13_13-35-54.jpg shot2017-09-13_13-36-26.jpg shot2017-09-13_13-36-38.jpg

The model in question is this approximation of the door-frames in SWTOR (I've since come to question making them so similar to SWTOR's and might rebuild similar to my previous map version's frames.)

As you can see, the edges aren't sharp and the shading on flat surfaces gets weird, making the triangles more obvious.

You are using the misc_model right? :

-Select the model in the gtkradiant.

-add a key - spawnflags and value - 4

-compile the map and check the resaults.

Like Pande said before in one of the topics- 

Spawnflags 4   the model receives lightmapping instead of vertex light and leaves the model nonsolid. Spawnflags 6 combines auto-solid and lighting.

PK_Azlon likes this