[Suggestion] Battle of Endor space battle

Yep, I'm suggesting it.

We've seen a pretty good version of the Battle of Yavin made by some author which I forgot the name of, and it does have potential. So why not make a map depicting the epic space battle from Return of the Jedi?

I realize this project would have to involve "borrowing" or making from scratch a whole bunch of ships, but maybe theres an author out there willing to trade his work. Also a bunch of scripting.

Excluding the battle of endor map made for the Knights of the Force mod, there is nothing out there of its type. So heres what I suggest.

Map type: Siege (obviously)

Rebel Objectives:

1. Hold out until the shield around the Death star is disabled

2. Find an access point to fly in towards the main reactor

3. Reach the main reactor and destroy it

4. Escape the Death Star

5. Destroy the remaining Imperial Forces

Imperial Objectives:

1. Destroy all Rebellion ships

2. Protect the main reactor

3. Keep the Death Star from being destroyed.

I know the objectives seem a little too harsh for the Imperials since all they could do is slow the rebels down, and could easily ambush in the passageway going to the reactor, but I think this has the potential to be the biggest and best siege map ever. So what do you all think?

1) How would the shield around the Death Star be disabled? A timer perhaps?

2) The goal of any defending team is to slow down the offensive team, so i don't see too much of a problem there. If it comes out that the rebels always win too easily, you can always cut down the time.

3) Yes, it would be quite big, just watch it doesn't get too big, although siege_destroyer was pretty big, too.

4) As for destroying the rebel/imperial ships, how would that work? Would you just have to repeatedly fire on the ships until they go boom? Or would it be like siege_destroyer/batllefront and have to take out multiple little parts of the ship to destroy it? A few defensive turrets would help as well on both sides.

5) Would it be linear or non-linear. If linear, how would you have the spawns move each time? If non-linear, the spawns would have be roughly in the center of all the objectives so as not to make some too far away to reach effectively.

All in all, sounds real cool. We do need more space/vehicle siege maps in my opinion. Best of luck!

Nice, this would be awesome.

I would hope people should be able to start inside the rebel/star destroyers and fly out to attack.

The deathstar would probably need to be part of the skybox, and once the shield is down, part of the space towards the deathstar becomes a teleporter,

which leads automatically to the surface of the deathstar.

My suggestions:

-Rebels must destroy at least 1 star destroyer (or two) to advance to the deathstar. Take out shield generators, then the bridge (Like in rogue squadron)

-Imps should be able to go to the bridge from the hanger and watch from there. (Bridge explodes once it is destroyed and kills everyone inside, as well as blocking the way to get

back onto the bridge, and possibly destroying the hanger, disallowing anyone to spawn there.).

-deathstar tunnel to the core should be made slightly bigger so people don't constantly crash.

-Once the core is destroyed, perhaps a giant....uh...kinda paper based object that has a fire based shader, can chase the player out of the tunnel outside.

-Perhaps the imp spawn point can be in the deathstar, and they can decide whether to teleport onto star destroyer 1 or 2, or just fly off the deathstar to counter the rebs

attempting to destroy the core.

-Reb spawn point obviously will be on one of their ships (a big hanger like in the movie would be nice, but not too big as to cause lag.

-The hanger should not be in the same space as the battle, so when the ship flies out, it is teleported just outside the ship. (maybe) (Just add some kind of portaling to reduce lag)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Insane ideas:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-Rebs can battle in space AND on the moon of endor itself, to take out the shield gen.

-If the rebels fail, the moon of endor is destroyed by the deathstar. (According to the star wars books, Palpatine ordered for the moon of endor to be destroyed, even with the garrison there)

-At certain points, (say after about 2 minutes in) the deathstar fires and destroys one of the rebel ships. HEHEHEHEHEH!

- Random npc ties and x-wings that fly around firing to add some spice to the battle.

That's all my ideas for now.

UNLIMITED POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Like minilogoguy said, there won't really be enough map space for all of that. Pushing the limitations is the siege_destroyer map. I could se a variation on its ideas being used here for a successful map.

You want space battles, go play another game, this is the worst game to recreate this in.

Actually, they can be quite fun. Have you played the map I mentioned above?

Probably the only way to do space combat well is with a siege map, as it would complete after objectives (taking down parts of the ship) are done. Either they're very obscure siege maps that the siege community doesn't have, or they're some other gametype that's not really suited to be made into space combat, just more of flying around in space.

Oh well. Was still fun, but that could've been just the group we had at the time.

It's just that next to something like SWBF2 (another game I mod) the space combat is VERY lacking, small maps, horrible physics and just bad coding.

I love SW space combat games, HUGE fan of rogue swuadron series and XWA but JA could never be 1/4 of what those games are in terms of flight sim.

I think that's overtly generous. I wouldnt even put it at 1/100. :P