Serenity Jedi Engine revived?

Note: I'm not sure it's the proper sub-forum, but oh well.

So apparently someone remade\ is remaking the Serenity Jedi Engine from 2015. The (re)maker claims to have received permission from Serenity and to have fixed 99.99% of all bugs and crashes. Anyway, here's the page on moddb.

Maybe someone already posted this, maybe the guy is even a member here (I don't know :lol:), or maybe it's a fake, but I didn't see any posts, so I figured I'd share because it's obviously down this site's alley.

Discuss. :rolleyes:

I posted a link to the source for this mod here on jkhub months ago, Im sure a simple search would help people find it. However, if you cant find it here it is.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4G29RZdpiBeVTFQekNoRHgxSzA/view?usp=sharing

everything I have is in here.

Better to use source control in case you lose it again, and it should be provided or made available with at minimum every release, not just an older one.

I was always under the impression the source was lost because it wasn't released initially. Unless that was kotf.

Na mate. The source was just broken and fragmented. I got 3 different copy's of the source from serenity each was at a different stage of development and all 3 were broken in some way or another. So I just merged them together to make a working copy. It  never did pan out as I wanted and was always just a bit unstable because it would never debug properly. Thanks to openjk and the wanders they did with there source I was able to learn how to fix it and finally got it stable.

The code version I'm working on at the moment changes every day as it is a W.I.P but I plan on releasing it with the final version of the mod as a package in December. Then I'm finished with coding. I have a baby due in march next year and my mission was to give this 1 year to try to rescue the code and mod as a personal challenge. I'm stuck (hit a wall again) with coop mode at the moment but I'm chipping away at it everyday.

Smoo, Noodle and TheWhitePhoenix like this

Na mate. The source was just broken and fragmented. I got 3 different copy's of the source from serenity each was at a different stage of development and all 3 were broken in some way or another. So I just merged them together to make a working copy. It  never did pan out as I wanted and was always just a bit unstable because it would never debug properly. Thanks to openjk and the wanders they did with there source I was able to learn how to fix it and finally got it stable.

The code version I'm working on at the moment changes every day as it is a W.I.P but I plan on releasing it with the final version of the mod as a package in December. Then I'm finished with coding. I have a baby due in march next year and my mission was to give this 1 year to try to rescue the code and mod as a personal challenge. I'm stuck (hit a wall again) with coop mode at the moment but I'm chipping away at it everyday.

@@JaceSolarisVIII I must say, I'm glad you allowed cheats to be used again on this. The one thing I didn't really like is that one feature. I understand WHY cheats were omitted from previous Serenity incarnations before, but having to beat Jedi Master with how broken it was just shooed me away from it entirely. If I can make one suggestion to add to the mod, RGB sabers. You already implemented SFX, so might as well go all in. :)

the_raven and JaceSolarisVIII like this

@@JaceSolarisVIII I must say, I'm glad you allowed cheats to be used again on this. The one thing I didn't really like is that one feature. I understand WHY cheats were omitted from previous Serenity incarnations before, but having to beat Jedi Master with how broken it was just shooed me away from it entirely. If I can make one suggestion to add to the mod, RGB sabers. You already implemented SFX, so might as well go all in. :)

Jedi master is harder in outcast lol.

When you say RGB Sabers, do you mean the saber menu with a slider so you can change the colours to how you want them?

Just suggesting that if you published the code using GitHub you might have people who are interested in helping out instead of going it alone.

I have looked at Git and I wouldn't know where to start or maintain a source control on Git.

When you say RGB Sabers, do you mean the saber menu with a slider so you can change the colours to how you want them?

@the_raven already confirmed it. Plus, you can also edit it via console commands. XD But yes, that's correct. It's very handy and it could help re-playability value. That, and those who wanna roleplay/use it for machinimas would benefit greatly from it.

the_raven likes this

I've updated the release candidate build. RGB sabers now added to sp and mp. I have also had a big crack at some more coop mode fixes in mp and mission mode is now much more stable but not finished yet. When playing single player look in the ingame setup menus for a new character and saber changer.

check it out here 

http://www.moddb.com/mods/serenityjediengine-20/downloads/serenityjediengine2018-advanced-rc1-beta/#6682844

TheWhitePhoenix likes this

I've updated the release candidate build. RGB sabers now added to sp and mp. I have also had a big crack at some more coop mode fixes in mp and mission mode is now much more stable but not finished yet. When playing single player look in the ingame setup menus for a new character and saber changer.

check it out here 

http://www.moddb.com/mods/serenityjediengine-20/downloads/serenityjediengine2018-advanced-rc1-beta/#6682844

That was fast! :o:D

The coop code in ojp is so incomplete that it's barely worth it.

I have implemented the coop code first. Then I have put in loads of code directly from singleplayer source. What I do is start the mod in Debug mode and play a level until it crashes and debug tells me what caused the crash. Then I attempt to rectify the error using singleplayer as a guide. Its difficult because the 2 code bases (mp+sp) are so different.

TheWhitePhoenix, Smoo and Raz0r like this

I got 3 different copy's [...] different stage of development [...] merged them together

Thanks to openjk [...] I was able to learn how to fix it and finally got it stable.

I plan on releasing [...] in December. Then I'm finished with coding. I have a baby due in march next year and my mission was to give this 1 year to try to rescue the code and mod as a personal challenge. I'm stuck (hit a wall again) with coop mode at the moment but I'm chipping away at it everyday.

I don't know you but I like your attitude. You should still use git(/hub) to develop+release code :P

Swing by JKCommunity Discord if you need some quick help.

Smoo and JaceSolarisVIII like this

I don't know you but I like your attitude. You should still use git(/hub) to develop+release code :P

Swing by JKCommunity Discord if you need some quick help.

Thank you, maybe here I can find some of the answers I need to help me finish the project.

Also I was considering releasing the final version with the code here in December on jkhub. Do I need to know any special requirements before I upload it?

• 2 months later...

Extra Credits

Extracts were taken from The following sources and were used to help improve and update the source for this mod.

Openkj main source https://github.com/JACoders/OpenJK

Redsaurus Openjk SP improvements https://github.com/redsaurus/OpenJK

Dustys Patch SP Improvements Openjk https://github.com/DustysPatch/OpenJK

Warzone MP improvements https://github.com/Stoiss/Rend2

and special thanks should go to Serenity and Stoiss who are the original authors of this code.

Smoo likes this