Sign in to follow this  
Caelum

Introducing User-Submitted News

Posted Image

Submit your own news
In the past, I promised I'd see what I can do about having more news on JKHub. Unfortunately, that hasn't gone too well - news is still pretty rare. With articles taking a minimum of several days to fully research and write, that's really no wonder - hence why we're going to add something new: user-submitted news. The idea is to have more news articles on JKHub, by letting you guys submit news. To be clear: this doesn't mean articles from us will stop now; it's meant to supplement those because they're rather rare.

How it works
I wrote an extensive guide to submitting your own news articles here. The short version of how it works is:
  • You write a news article about a recent event, or a newsworthy essay or analysis about JKA, and submit it
  • We proofread it, make sure the formatting looks alright, and if we want to run it, we approve it. Some submissions may take weeks or months to be approved - we don't want to spam news articles - and ones we don't feel are newsworthy enough won't be approved at all.
  • Once we're done with the editing stage, the news post is published on the front page of JKHub under your name, just like a usual JKHub news announcement.
We're very much hoping this will pick up some steam and people will be willing to write high-quality, neutral, in-depth articles for us on things they feel are newsworthy enough for JKHub.

Just in case anyone cares about the legalese: when you submit a news article, you retain all copyright on your article and are allowed to post it elsewhere too, but you give JKHub a non-rescindible license to edit, publish, and distribute your article.

Finally, some administrative notes
Unrelated to the above, a notice of some recent changes we've made, and assorted administrative notices that don't really deserve their own news post.

First of all, Eezstreet & Mrwonko are now retired.
We'd like to thank them for all the work they did as JKHub staff, and hope they'll continue to stick around JKHub. The current staff consists of Circa, AshuraDX, and Caelum. We'll likely be opening up staff applications in a few months, but for now, we're managing well enough with the three of us.

Second, some forum changes
You may have noticed a speed boost recently: we've switched JKHub to a brand new server & hosting configuration, and made lots of little back-end changes focusing on improved stability and performance. Another recent change we've made is the 'mod requests' forum section is now no longer usable to users who have only just registered - you need several posts in other forum sections first. We still welcome mod requests from new and old users alike, but the idea behind this was to cut down on the large amounts of low-effort mod requests we kept seeing previously. We're still soliciting feedback on this if anybody has especially strong opinions about it. This is the latest in a string of changes meant to encourage high-quality, thoughtful content over low-effort one-liner stuff like "somebody pls make me a desaturated reborn reskin"

If you want to keep up-to-date with more of these small, not quite newsworthy changes as we make them, you can do so by following my ongoing JKHub changelog thread.

Last of all, JKHub 2.0
I get a lot of questions about where JKHub 2.0 - the project to modernize JKHub by migrating to new software - is at, so a quick public statement on that. We're currently still waiting for the XenForo 2 software to be finished, before we can move on with that. It recently entered a new beta stage, and you can see a live example of the software we'll be using at the software developer's forum, but it's still very much uncompleted. We're ready to move to XenForo 2 very soon after its first stable, production-ready release, but until that's available, I can't give any more accurate timeframe yet. Just rest assured I'm extremely eager to move to it the moment it's available. For now though, that demo I just linked to is a cool peek at what the software (not the design, but the back-end) will be like. Consider it a kind of sneak peek.

Thanks for reading, and please consider writing your own news article for JKHub!

Click here to view the article
Smoo, Stoiss, Sentra and 5 others like this

This is a great idea! Nice work.

Also, @@mrwonko and @@eezstreet: hats off. You guys did some great work keeping this place running. It's because of your hard work approving files, moderating forums, and wading into absurd drama that this is still a happy, stable community of people who love the JK games. You guys rock! :winkthumb:

Smoo likes this