.tga Quality Loss On Character Portrait(Icon_Default)

Hello!

I've been recently making some final touches to my personal skin (which I'd gladly share here), and I noticed that some skins use animated/shader icons(portraits). It always seemed a little too gimmicky and flashy for my liking, but I decided to try and see how it turns out.

I created an icon and saved it as .tga (which seems to be the only file type with alpha channel that JKA handles.) and wrote a little shader for it.

After countless attempts at figuring out the right BlendFunc I went to game and noticed that the portrait looks like I want it, but is scaled down beyond recognition.

I see that on base, where portraits are larger the scaling down is noticeable, but not terrible. On JA+ (actually JA++, since I use OpenJK) the portraits are much smaller and it looks... It looks s#!t.

I know that the image HAS to be scaled down to fit the portrait "window" but the problem seems to be interpolation. My point is that .jpg of the same size looks MUCH better, but it doesn't have transparency channel.

Is there a way to prevent the image from losing quality so badly?

PS. GL_ONE GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA for anyone wanting to put a transparent image over something. :D

PSS. Maybe I could somehow use .jpg for the image and make some kind of mask to erase it in areas that are supposed to be transparent, anyone?

Edit: Tested with PNG, but same thing happens.

Regards,

Arth.

ooeJack likes this
  • 1 month later...