Missing Body Parts In Some Shadows?

Go to solution Solved by Psyk0Sith,

Hey guys,

So I've been spending a good amount of time porting a model of Aayla Secura into JKA and I'm currently facing an issue where on a JA+ server, there are a few issues with the model and the 'more realistic' shadow setting, and I'm wondering if someone here may be able to help me out and on the way to fixing this by taking a look at the below screenshots.

F0wRXFM.jpg

YhhMO7K.jpg

The first screenshot is with the regular realistic shadow setting and the second screenshot is the more realistic shadow setting. As you can see, the torso and the lekku are missing from the second screenshot's shadow and I have literally no idea why or what could be causing this. Maybe there are tags/ caps I am missing in the model? Would that cause issues with shadows like this? Or could I have weighted the lekku to a bone I shouldn't have?

SzixPeC.jpg

eoaxZnI.jpg

Note: This model is taken from the cancelled Clone Wars Adventures game, imported using Blender. The tags/ caps used are from the alora2 model.

This model is the property of LucasArts, created by Sony Online Entertainment and I do not own it. Sorry if this type of post is frowned upon here.

• Solution

Look at your polygon count, if you have a mesh with too many verts it's probably the cause (possibly the torso). Also check the console for potential error messages, can't remember if it bitches about vert limit in there. Also using Alora's caps is a pretty hacky job, you should create proper ones ;).

TheDoctor likes this

Look at your polygon count, if you have a mesh with too many verts it's probably the cause (possibly the torso). Also check the console for potential error messages, can't remember if it bitches about vert limit in there. Also using Alora's caps is a pretty hacky job, you should create proper ones ;).

Thanks for the response.

All of the individual mesh pieces have less than 1,000 verts on them which I thought was the usual cap for JA, so I didn't think much of it. I haven't seen any errors in particular pop up in the console, though I can always look again in-game and keep track of it when doing stuff with the model.

I do also plan on getting around to creating my own caps. It was just a temporary workaround to get the model working in-game aside from just working in ModView, until I can figure out how to create my own. This is the first model I have ever ported for JA.

Edit: Found a couple of forum posts saying that whilst 1,000 is the limit, it is recommended to go for 500? The Torso and lekku have over 500 and everything else is below (and also viewable with the shadow settings on). The face with 497 is also visible with the shadow setting on so would it be wise to try and lower their verts to below 500 to fix this?

So I used the decimate modifier on the lekku as they were very close to 500, slightly over so I made it slightly under, and then re-triangulated the mesh and loaded the model up in-game.

The shadow now works for the lekku as well, so I am going to assume it is the 500 vert count that was causing the shadow issue. Thanks for the assistance!