Blender Split Meshes in UV Seams

Go to solution Solved by Ramikad,

So I've been trying to finish off my Sandtrooper model and one of the main things I wanted to fix was the sand knee pad, the way the original model was set up it left a decent bare chunk in the back of the pad. So through pushing some stuff I managed to add a new face and get the textures in place. Whenever I try to export it though it get the error message that there are "split meshes in UV seams" anyone know how I can fix this problem? I really want to get this model finished up.

• Solution

So I've been trying to finish off my Sandtrooper model and one of the main things I wanted to fix was the sand knee pad, the way the original model was set up it left a decent bare chunk in the back of the pad. So through pushing some stuff I managed to add a new face and get the textures in place. Whenever I try to export it though it get the error message that there are "split meshes in UV seams" anyone know how I can fix this problem? I really want to get this model finished up.

The error doesn't refer to the fact that there are split meshes at UV seams - it is instead telling you to do that to export the model correctly. Basically run through all the edges of the UV islands in UV/Image Editor of the meshes affected by the problem, making sure to check Keep UV and edit mode mesh selection in sync, then, once the edges are selected, click on Mesh -> Edges -> Edge split. That should do the trick.

Just a word of warning - splitting edges does increase vert count. So long as you're doing it studiously (i.e. only doing the edges of the UV islands as @@Ramikad said and not just selecting all edges and splitting them which technically works) it shouldn't cause too much of an issue but it's something to check on.

The error doesn't refer to the fact that there are split meshes at UV seams - it is instead telling you to do that to export the model correctly. Basically run through all the edges of the UV islands in UV/Image Editor of the meshes affected by the problem, making sure to check Keep UV and edit mode mesh selection in sync, then, once the edges are selected, click on Mesh -> Edges -> Edge split. That should do the trick.

You can do it even faster (in Blender) by selecting one red edge (seam) in Default view -> Shift+G -> Seam -> Ctrl+E -> Edge split. No need to select all those edges manually!

Just a word of warning - splitting edges does increase vert count. So long as you're doing it studiously (i.e. only doing the edges of the UV islands as @@Ramikad said and not just selecting all edges and splitting them which technically works) it shouldn't cause too much of an issue but it's something to check on.

Not to worry there were literally only three points I need to change.