My computer is sinking like the titanic...what do I do?!

Hey guys!

I've been having some trouble. Recently, my computer space is just...gone. One time I had a couple hundred MB left, not even enough to use the internet. I then go on file killing sprees, but then my computer only gives me like 6 or 7 GB back, and those will be gone even quicker. I really don't know where all my GB are hidden...what can I do to make that blue pie purple?

-Defragging? Found this under system tools - says it needs like 19GB though...I don't have it. Says it can do it without, but I'm scared.

-Disk clean up? Does nothing than give me a couple lousy KB.

What else can I do? I'm down to my most essential files, and I still don't have barely any space. And I know I should have more.

Thanks.

Hey, thanks guys for all the help! Unfortunately, the cleaners didn't find anything substantial, and I accidentally deleted all my system restore points. :P I have about 2 gigs now from frantic deleting and turning indexing off. I'm going to do a really deep search for malware, but it may look like a full disk wipe may need to happen. :unsure:

I deleted eeeeeeeeevvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyytttttttttttttthhhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnng. Got 1.2GB, though!

Are you sure you don't just have a shit-ton of programs installed? I would think this is the first thing you thought of, but I know in the past I have been looking for space on a drive and realized I had majority of my software installed on say, C: for instance, so I would just move them to E:, or uninstall them if I didn't use them.

Are you sure you don't just have a ****-ton of programs installed?

I have really combed my computer for any offending programs...the biggest I have is JKA, and that is about 16,000 MB. I've bascially deleted anything I can spare.

Windirstat. It lets you find what's taking up your harddrive space.

Incidentally, you do have your harddrive partitioning set up so you're actually using your entire harddrive, right? If in doubt, just use the start bar search thingamy to search for 'partition'.

Not exactly sure what partitioning is...will research it, thanks! Will also try that program. I really hope that gives a solution - would save me like $70... :lol:

/format C:

CMD command, right?

Seriously, maybe its time to backup your necessary files and do a complete system reboot?

This is the embarrassing part: I already did that. I've had lots of internet troubles so, this summer, I did a full wipe. Worked well for a while... B)

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THAT PROGRAM, CAELUM!

I used that program and traced 120gb to a hidden folder called "application data". I dug deeper and found the avast folder. Surely avast can't take up that much space, I thought. I was wrong. There was 124gb of log files for avast. One hundred and thirty useless, dirty little files. Deleted them all. I now have only 20 gb used, 130gb free.

I would like to thank all of you for your help. Caelum: you rock.

Caelum likes this

I used that program and traced 120gb to a hidden folder called "application data". I dug deeper and found the avast folder. Surely avast can't take up that much space, I thought. I was wrong. There was 124gb of log files for avast. One hundred and thirty useless, dirty little files.

Holy...

I use Avast too! *scurries off to check disk space*

therfiles likes this
  • 1 year later...