Application as a Level Object Artist - ACCEPTED

Hello,

a close friend of mine, known under the name SomaZ, told me about this project.

I like to create 3D models in my spare time and i would like to contribute to this project in the form of asset creation.

Some of my older work can be found here: https://sketchfab.com/lennartsolik

Primaly i use Blender for modeling and Substance Painter / Photoshop for texture creation.

I am able to create small animations using constraints and bones (simple).

I try to help as good as i can in the form of small assets and other things that might be needed.

I am looking forward to hear from you.

Sincerely

Nupol

SomaZ, Gorc, Smoo and 1 other like this

Hi, thanks for applying. Your work looks pretty decent. :)

Do you have any experience with baking details to low poly models? This game engine has a very low limit, compared to today's games. Most small objects would be 1,000 tris or under.

Thank you.

No problem with baking details from Highpoly to Lowpoly. 

And good to know on how many tris you aim to.

Do you plan to use LODs? If yes how many and what is you triangle count for each level approximately?

Depends on how the object is used. LODs do not work if the model becomes part of the map, i.e. Brushwork. If it's loaded by the renderer, then LODs apply. Would have to be case-by-case, whether a map object needs LODs.

If a mesh is large enough it can be sub divided to go around the 1k limit, you can have up to 32 meshes making up 1 model. Still though, the general goal is squeeze out as much detail from as little as possible, I'm sure we can also go over the models and optimize the low poly mesh.

If a mesh is large enough it can be sub divided to go around the 1k limit, you can have up to 32 meshes making up 1 model. Still though, the general goal is squeeze out as much detail from as little as possible, I'm sure we can also go over the models and optimize the low poly mesh.

That optimization should be done before baking normal maps.

SomaZ likes this
  • 4 months later...

It can be done after the bake too, using handplane and a local "XYZ" normal map, handplane will output the matching tangent normal map based on the optimized model.

I figure you mean a world/objectspace normalmap.

I usually bake using a skewmesh and then generate a new tangentspace nm for the lowpoly mesh by using the Wolrdspace normal. While I do this in Substance it can also be done with Xnormal and appearently Handbrake.

I figure you mean a world/objectspace normalmap.

I usually bake using a skewmesh and then generate a new tangentspace nm for the lowpoly mesh by using the Wolrdspace normal. While I do this in Substance it can also be done with Xnormal and appearently Handbrake.

Yup, max calls it local XYZ or object space if you prefer.