Kyle Katarn & Jan Ors vs. Rogue One

Well, some Rebels had to steal the Death Star plans!

Do you prefer the original EU peeps of Kyle Katarn and Jans Ors? Or did you prefer the new canon's Rogue One? 

Personally, I've got a yuuge soft spot for Kyle and Jan, especially Kyle. I mean, c'mon -- the dude is in every Dark Forces/Jedi Knight game! And he's a bad ass, also being a complicated, very human character. 

Don't get me wrong, Rogue One rocked and it may be my favorite Star Wars movie! (Not the best, but my favorite; huge difference.) But Kyle and Jan... they're some sick nasty peeps who I just can't get over. 

TheWhitePhoenix and NumberWan like this

Well, some Rebels had to steal the Death Star plans!

Do you prefer the original EU peeps of Kyle Katarn and Jans Ors? Or did you prefer the new canon's Rogue One? 

Personally, I've got a yuuge soft spot for Kyle and Jan, especially Kyle. I mean, c'mon -- the dude is in every Dark Forces/Jedi Knight game! And he's a bad ass, also being a complicated, very human character. 

Don't get me wrong, Rogue One rocked and it may be my favorite Star Wars movie! (Not the best, but my favorite; huge difference.) But Kyle and Jan... they're some sick nasty peeps who I just can't get over. 

I prefer Kyle and Jan myself, but I can see why some like Cassian and Jynn. But the latter two just can't compare to the former two when it comes to bad ass character development.

OobidoobBenubi and NumberWan like this

Considering the amount of people that stole the death star plans in Legends continuity, Kyle and Jan didn't do anything special at all. It was like a rite of passage in the rebellion to steal the death star plans at least once in your life. 

the_raven and Jeff like this

The thing that bothered me about Kyle and Jan stealing the plans was how easy it was. I mean it's the first level of dark forces, and those plans weren't very well guarded.

Granted, the novel Dark Forces Novels showed that the mission WASN'T as easy as portrayed in the game, but I will agree they could've put the Death Star Plans as the third, fourth or fifth level of the game as a "Alright, you got used to the game, now it's time to get serious!" level.

Jeff likes this

Since I haven't read the Dark Forces novel, and haven't played every game with Kyle, I can't be the one to judge. Nor do I know how hard it was for Kyle and Jan to steal the Death Star plans (especially since you're saying that in the game it was a walk in the park). So I guess I'll go with Rogue One. Sure, the movie had its flaws, but Cassian was more 'real' than Kyle, I think, and not because he's got his own movie. Jyn and Jan, I really don't know who's better...maybe it's because Jyn didn't get as much development as Jan had, I don't know.

OobidoobBenubi likes this

Jyn and Jan, I really don't know who's better...maybe it's because Jyn didn't get as much development as Jan had, I don't know.

What development did Jan have? She was the pilot and then just bait to lure Kyle into different traps (happens both in DFII and JO).

Kinda why you have to do a little research into the stuff before Dark Forces One. :/

Not going to read fan-fiction the size of Dostoyevsky's Crime & Punishment to see the supposed development a character got that couldn't in 4 games. At least Jyn went from nihilist to Jeanne D'arc-like idealist in less than 2 hours. 

the_raven likes this

Not going to read fan-fiction the size of Dostoyevsky's Crime & Punishment to see the supposed development a character got that couldn't in 4 games. At least Jyn went from nihilist to Jeanne D'arc-like idealist in less than 2 hours. 

I.E Canon to the Legends Continuity. But you do you.