Using old game files as a model base?

I would like to use Kinect Star Wars Models and port them to Jedi Academy. Do I need to just credit the Studio or I am not allowed to do that by law?

a1258bc23f959.png

(It would be eventually avaiable as a modification for people to download with all due respect - everybody would know of the original source).

Smoo likes this

Kinect is crossed out then. Everything involved in the flow of the money is not an option.

How about,

I have in mind a game produced over 7 years ago shutdown a few years ago. You can not play it anymore, noone is making any money out of it. It was purely digital. Models are still to be found... quality models - rotting.

I assume porting from old JK Games, Battlefronts is fine because the Developers are not making any money out of it and game itself died, correct me if I am being stupid.

Kinect is crossed out then. Everything involved in the flow of the money is not an option.

How about,

I have in mind a game produced over 7 years ago shutdown a few years ago. You can not play it anymore, noone is making any money out of it. It was purely digital. Models are still to be found... quality models - rotting.

I assume porting from old JK Games, Battlefronts is fine because the Developers are not making any money out of it and game itself died, correct me if I am being stupid.

Well it is like being fair to the orignal author of these models then ;) i am not sure about lincense of these models.. They are not making any money out of it it is true .. but in some way porting is still seeing as the illegal move... 

k4far likes this

Thank you for answering my questions.

The mistery with this game is that You can not even contact them to ask nor anything, they are dead to this extent.

If the author is not providing the copyright information are we not free to assume that the license of these models became some CC? You can not look up their terms: game website, studio website, not even in their wikipedia. Studio ereased all traces of own existence.

Langerd likes this

Thank you for answering my questions.

The mistery with this game is that You can not even contact them to ask nor anything, they are dead to this extent.

If the author is not providing the copyright information are we not free to assume that the license of these models became some CC? You can not look up their terms: game website, studio website, not even in their wikipedia. Studio ereased all traces of own existence.

Well so i think it is in some way legal now. .. as far as i know the license can die or it could be bought by someone else. In my country if You want to set something that is Yours overall if You want to patent it - You must pay for it i think every 10 years. If You will stop pay Your conent is not defended by a copyrights.. There is a diffrence in the copyrights and the feeling , thinking that something is Yours.. dont know how exactly it works and i might be wrong 

Just because the studio isn't making money off of it anymore doesn't mean the publishers aren't either. Disney and Lucasfilm own the rights to all Star Wars titles, old and new. Doesn't matter the age. It's their brand, and they can choose to send a C&D to anyone that is using it, even if its not for profit.

Langerd likes this

People are free to port models and stuff from Jedi Outcast to Jedi Academy as they were doing till now, correct ? The obvious requirement is to credit it.

Why would it be different for other SW titles ?

I have no idea about the legal requirements, but a lot of people are porting models from other SW games unto Jedi Academy, the only thing that seems to be different is that they're uploading said models unto dropbox and not the hub. 

k4far likes this

People are free to port skins and stuff from Jedi Outcast to Jedi Academy as they were doing till now, correct ? The obvious requirement is to just credit it.

Why would it be different for other SW titles ?

Raven Software had said at one point that moving assets from JK2 to JKA (and vice versa) is fine. Keep in mind though that the amount of assets in JK2 that aren't in JKA already is very small.

And yeah, if you​ want to port stuff like that and release it on your own, that's putting yourself at risk. But putting the whole website at risk is something we have to take into consideration. We have a fairly loose stance on ported material these days. Our rule is if your mod contains ported material, it has to contain a majority of original work, for it to be approved. Even that is putting us at risk, but a minimal one.

Within certain modification I am playing there is a community made Resident Evil map (first Resident Evil), it looks as in that old game no major differences except icons, skins for characters had to be ported, textures to be adjusted and fixed. Sounds are from the original game. It would be unusable if not the work someone had to put in it. I highly doubt it was created from dust, might be wrong - sorry.

Would You consider it to be an original work, how do you define the ow it has to be easy to see or setting up to work is also a part or "original work" of the person that is preparing it?

Penekowski likes this

Within certain modification I am playing there is a community made Resident Evil map (first Resident Evil), it looks as in that old game no major differences except icons, skins for characters had to be ported, textures to be adjusted and fixed. Sounds are from the original game. It would be unusable if not the work someone had to put in it. I highly doubt it was created from dust, might be wrong - sorry.

Would You consider it to be an original work, how do you defin3 the ow it has to be easy to see or setting up to work is also a part or "original work"?

Not really sure what you said there, but I'll assume you're asking how we determine if original work was done. Porting a model is not original work. Especially with Blender, its not really that difficult to do.

Think of it as taking a sculpture that is needs a stand or a base in order to stand up on display, removing the old stand and putting on a stand from another sculpture. Neither sculptures were yours. You did the work of removing and installing the stands but no part of it is yours.

Think of the sculpture as the model, and the stand/base as the skeleton and format of the game. You didn't make the model, but you're taking it from one format to another, and then releasing it under your name. Even if you say its not your work but its a port, you will be at risk for the company that did​ make it to take legal action for using their model without their permission, and you will also fool others who don't care to look at credits or descriptions into thinking you're an amazing 3D artist, when you're not.

It's a messy situation, and you won't gain much respect in a modding community by doing it, because there are extremely talented 3D artists that dedicate hours and days to creating exactly those things.

I would not release it under my name. I can even change my picture and name to be blank if that will make it more fair and only put the name of original author in it.

I am laughing, as these models are now they are scattered over internet for people to grab and use as a base of their work. One guy will 3D print it and sell for few thousands, other will make own model out of it and get credit. Another one will make a trailer for his game using these models.

But NO. We can not port it to our game as they are becuase HELL, AMEN. Unfair we would be and bad people. That sums up my thoughs on it, pretty stupid situation.

Sorry, if I am being rude here.

I would not release it under my name. I can even change my picture and name to be blank if that will make it more fair and only put the name of original author in it.

I am laughing, as these models are now they are scattered over internet for people to grab and use as a base of their work. One guy will 3D print it and sell for few thousands, other will make own model out of it and get credit. Another one will make a trailer for his game using these models.

But NO. We can not port it to our game as they are becuase HELL, AMEN. Unfair we would be and bad people. That sums up my thoughs on it, pretty stupid situation. Sorry, if I am being rude here.

Do what you want. Nobody here will stop you from doing any of that stuff. You can't release it into our file section is all. You put yourself at risk, not our website.

k4far likes this

I will be writing an email to Disney (https://licensing.disney.com) to ask about permission to use those files - without modifying them directly and with all respect - accreditation for original authors. I am expecting to hear something like "no way, you have to pay", at least I will know I tried.

My sketch,

would you add/change anything?

"To whom it may concern,

My name is K.J.K. and I am representing a certain group.
I am contacting You, hopefully, a person in charge of old resources (current and shutdown companies & their assets - a person familiar with Raven Software and their Jedi Knight Series would be the most appreciated). 

We would like to ask about permission to use of one of your shut down Studio assets within another of Your Productions in a non-commercial manner. The process I would like to talk over is professionally being called as porting - it is a process of preparing an existing file to work within another title with no or absolutely minimal visual change to the model, and with all due respect for original authors. 

Raven Software had said at one point that moving assets from JK2 (Jedi Knight 2) to JKA (Jedi Knight Academy), (and vice versa) is fine. I would like to understand, how would You look at the same thing happening between JK2/JKA and (insert title of a game here).

Looking forward to hearing from You,
K.J.K."

I will be writing an email to Disney (https://licensing.disney.com) to ask about permission to use those files - without modifying them directly and with all respect - accreditation for original authors. I am expecting to hear something like "no way, you have to pay", at least I will know I tried.

My sketch,

would you add/change anything?

"To whom it may concern,

My name is K.J.K. and I am representing a certain group.
I am contacting You, hopefully, a person in charge of old resources (current and shutdown companies & their assets - a person familiar with Raven Software and their Jedi Knight Series would be the most appreciated). 

We would like to ask about permission to use of one of your shut down Studio assets within another of Your Productions in a non-commercial manner. The process I would like to talk over is professionally being called as porting - it is a process of preparing an existing file to work within another title with no or absolutely minimal visual change to the model, and with all due respect for original authors. 

Raven Software had said at one point that moving assets from JK2 (Jedi Knight 2) to JKA (Jedi Knight Academy), (and vice versa) is fine. I would like to understand, how would You look at the same thing happening between JK2/JKA and (insert title of a game here).

Looking forward to hearing from You,
K.J.K."

The internet is so .. big thing.. NOBODY has 100% control about it.. Nobody has 100% to control like You said - that model will be used in trailer or in the game as the modification or someone will 3D print it and make cosplay or something... but to be honest many moves like this are not only promoting the original thing but also it is kinda tribute by the person who is doing this... Someone dont know how to model in 3D but know how to make cool cosplay. They print 3D models as armor parts and use them to make the costume... and what now? Now that person should be called pirate asshole that completely shit on the source that he made costume of? NO .. He would be asshole if he would make that costume - from 3D parts of the model from Battlefront for example. Said that he made 100% of it and made it only for sale - money purpose.

Or there were many games that took other models from other games - sometimes even map files.. Stealing assholing ... my god. 

This is very important thing - taking thing and saying MINE MINE is bad.. but taking things and saying : I LOVE STAR WARS !! I MADE IT FROM THE GAME BUT MANY TIME SPENT TO MAKE THAT COSTUME!!  Is tribute. Fans are always want to promote and show how THEY LOVE content and history etc. .. They do not steal. This is my opinion .. Of course in some point doing this in a lot amount.. is starting to look bad as well.... ekhm.. lately porting madness on the Hub

k4far and Noodle like this