Escape Yavin IV REVAMPED

Decided to spice up an old mod, I realize that i may not be able to upload it here to the forum when completed, but it will be available on dropbox.

I always thought this mod was a genius idea to follow the dark-side ending of JA, however, all the clone-wars era models and textures bothered me, coupled with parts of the planet looking more like tatooine and bespin than yavin. So I decided to do an overhaul. All models and creatures are now from the OT, SOTE, (and a little KOTOR) with the exception of some of the animals. 

All textures have been modified to look more Yavinesque. The final parts of the mod on the planet Hypori have also been retextured, as well as the sith command ship orbiting the planet. I wanted to give a feeling of co-location with the two levels, the ship in orbit featuring a skybox that looked like the same planet skybox from the ground level.

Also, many kudos to my help on the new yavin IV skybox from some of the modders here, you will all be credited in the release :)

There will be new music, new menus and sound effects and such too, still working on that. Now if only I could get rid of the shitty voice-acting lol.

Let me know if anyone is interested in helping out with this, I could get it done by myself soon, but I think other ideas and skills could help my plan happen better too.

Here are some screens of the finished textures (I'm not showing all because I want it to be a surprise for those who download it and experience it themselves!):

C8eldcT.jpg

1UYNmQj.jpg

FTxjw0W.jpg

e8pmD1f.jpg

HEz5Zl3.jpg

7OCCTe6.jpg

O6ya3v6.jpg

pbvC6Di.jpg

UF9sOte.jpg

bQLuXAZ.jpg

OMPQCC8.jpg

I ever loved ey4, before i joined JKHUB i found these mod on filefront and his assets was the skeleton for my mod conversion project. i learned many things studyied ey4. but i cannot help. simply i am glad someone now this mod and make a reboot of that.

if you want a nice idea: the noghri refugesse on the cave level (like a t3_rift location this map is in the middle of game) ... welll i never see these fantomatic refugees in game... so if is possible to spawn a little troops of noghri with gas sticks that shoots by rift of underground canyons...,mmm could be really a fun level.

However, i suggest you maybe to expand the reboot with escape from yavin 4 - the lost map, is more completed and with more location.

i really loved these version than original ey4 mod.

I remember playing this many years ago, this mod was friggen huge, it took forever to complete it. It was also buggy in some places and I got lost quite a bit lol. Also, are you remaking Yavin 4 The Lost Levels? That one has far more content than the original.

It is a reboot of the lost maps. All 25 levels or so. (The mod readme says 36 but like ten of those are cutscene levels)

I've reskinned every level, although not by the typical method. I've simply replaced all existing textures with new ones. I am horrible at editing maps.

All the player models have been switched or replaced. There are even grammar mistakes in the title crawl which I fixed and redid to make it sound more interesting.

The music will be replaced either with 80's synth retro wave covers of the star wars soundtrack, 80's heavy metal version of star wars soundtrack (the ones I found are very good!) or an orchestral remix of John Williams'  OT score. 

The only thing even hinting to the prequel in this mod will be two of the vehicles and one or two of the monsters found in the levels.

It will feel like an original, new star wars story.

The only thing I can't change is the voice acting, and I would really like to :\

Smoo and yeyo JK like this

Really impressive overhaul you've done for this conversion mod. I played it back in the day. I remember enjoying it sometimes but thinking that it was too much of a clusterfuck in other moments. I really just couldn't enjoy this mod in the long run. Maybe the change of scenery and OpenJK's reassurance that the game won't crash every half-hour will change that.

That, and green is a lot more pleasing to the eye than desert.

By the way, there's a level that's so glitched up/poorly designed that it's nearly impossible to beat it. It's the underground level in which you control the mouse droid and have to join Rosh fighting against a group of Rodians and, for some reason, Spawn (lmao). After a short time of using the mouse droid, the game would just say that you betrayed your friends and would end. It made no sense whatsoever. This meant that you had to be as quick as possible when using the droid, which was especially hard in some of the maze-like areas even further underground. The whole level sucked, although the concept was interesting. Fixing that level is strictly a scripting thing.

Good luck with your overhaul. :)

General Howard and therfiles like this

Really impressive overhaul you've done for this conversion mod. I played it back in the day. I remember enjoying it sometimes but thinking that it was too much of a clusterfuck in other moments. I really just couldn't enjoy this mod in the long run. Maybe the change of scenery and OpenJK's reassurance that the game won't crash every half-hour will change that.

That, and green is a lot more pleasing to the eye than desert.

By the way, there's a level that's so glitched up/poorly designed that it's nearly impossible to beat it. It's the underground level in which you control the mouse droid and have to join Rosh fighting against a group of Rodians and, for some reason, Spawn (lmao). After a short time of using the mouse droid, the game would just say that you betrayed your friends and would end. It made no sense whatsoever. This meant that you had to be as quick as possible when using the droid, which was especially hard in some of the maze-like areas even further underground. The whole level sucked, although the concept was interesting. Fixing that level is strictly a scripting thing.

Good luck with your overhaul. :)

This level works fine on my computers. I'm not sure why, but if the mouse droid dies then your player automatically dies too. 

Trust me there are no more prequel characters or cartoon clone wars models or non-star wars characters. There are some fan-made models that make appearances but the goal is to keep the npcs to what was seen in the OT.

For example, a lot of the cantina aliens make appearances, as do the bounty hunters from TESB, and most of Jabba's entourage.

I tried to not include almost any of the npcs from the base JA game to really give it a different feel.

I don't want to spoil it for you, it's going to be good. I can't really change the plot that much because I don't know how to script for JK3, but rest assured, the only annoying thing left over will be the voices lol.

McGroose likes this

This level works fine on my computers. I'm not sure why, but if the mouse droid dies then your player automatically dies too. 

Trust me there are no more prequel characters or cartoon clone wars models or non-star wars characters. There are some fan-made models that make appearances but the goal is to keep the npcs to what was seen in the OT.

For example, a lot of the cantina aliens make appearances, as do the bounty hunters from TESB, and most of Jabba's entourage.

I tried to not include almost any of the npcs from the base JA game to really give it a different feel.

I don't want to spoil it for you, it's going to be good. I can't really change the plot that much because I don't know how to script for JK3, but rest assured, the only annoying thing left over will be the voices lol.

Yes, but for me the mouse droid will always just "die" to quickly when I didn't even harm it. I have no idea what's wrong with it. There's some kind of invisible timer. 

I trust your model choices. Honestly, anything made today is better than some of the abominations I've seen in that mod. (Giant Yoda, Ugly Reborn/Cultist reskins and Fugly Cartoon Ventress to name a few).

I thought it was funny how the Alliance soldiers were all Samus with lightsabers. XD I'm curious if you plan to change the model for the main antagonist. He's a reskin of Mar's Plo Koon model, and the reskin itself is pretty cool. I wouldn't mind if you kept it. If you are going to change it, remember that you still need to use a Kel-Dor. We don't have to many of those lying around in the downloads. :/

What I'm really hoping you can change are the saber models. Some really suck, even for back in the day the mod came out. When I first saw Kylo Ren's lightsaber, I thought that someone must have had an Idea from this mod. The lightsabers in this game are so damn impractical and weird. They can absolutely destroy enemies when thrown though, so that was useful. That benefit comes at the expense of the models looking buttass ugly though, so changing them is for the best.

As far as voices go, they weren't too bad, but they were clearly recorded with poor equipment. The only really bad voice belonged to that Sith that left the Dark Side to join the Alliance. I forgot his name, but his voice-acting was just so bad it was hilarious.

Rosh's voice was actually less obnoxious than the original. Huh.

I liked the plot of the story, it's screams of fan fiction and it manages to get away with it. My main problem came from the game crashing so often. I'm sure OpenJK will fix that. 

Thank you for giving this mod another chance. It has potential to be great, it was just limited with what was available at the time.

I don't know why it dies for you. I don't even have OpenJK installed and this mod is working great. Try running it in regular JA on a different computer without OpenJK. I use windows 7 64 bit and the only crashes I get are if I overdose my base with mods and npcs.

I'm just trying to figure out how to override some things like mapobjects, and for some reason when placing things in the pk3 it doesn't overwrite the base game's assets so I have to put them in separate pk3's, still figuring that out.

The music is the next part I'm fixing. *sigh* it is fun and awesome when done but man does changing the music, so that it can be a positive change, certainly takes a lot of time.

Jeff has given me a bunch of models to use that are great.

About the sabers, I actually liked some of the unorthodox ones, which ones in particular didn't you like? I thought that aspect of the mod was quite original. I may add or delete some.

I'm going to make to have two options for effects, one M-rated blood and gore where sabers dismember cause blood and all the caps look like the insides of bodies, not those ridiculous burnt leaves that appear in the base game. Also trying to figure out how to make guns shoot off limbs and heads, I knew there was a mod for that called Old-School mod somewhere but can't find it anywhere.

Also some characters will be from the original EU of post-ROTJ, kind of like how JA included some of them in the background of the lore of the plot.

Yes darth savet lmao that was the horrible character's name. They've all been changed and overwritten. Ideally I would like to just add subtitles and overwrite all the alien npcs with kotor soundsets.

TheWhitePhoenix likes this

Since he's called Mace throughout the story (If I remember correctly, you may want to make him Mace Windu instead. The new Luke Model is cool, but inconsistent with the story. The Naga Sadow model is a cool choice.

Oh and looks like the grand master of the Jedi uses a booster seat by the look of things lol

D0ZsA7V.jpg

Smoo likes this

Fair enough, I do like that idea. Seeing all of the prequel characters did feel kind of strange. Keep in mind that if you're aiming for 100 percent consistency with replacing prequel characters, you'll have to overhaul various different profile descriptions in the menu for the characters. Honestly, that's probably the least important thing to be concerned with, but figured I'd mentioned it.

And thank you for trying to make it more consistent with the JA darkside ending. It's my preferred ending to the game since it implied a followup story. Guess this is going to be that followup once finished. :) 

• 3 weeks later...

@@MusicForThePiano nice work so far! unfortunately you can't change some of the texture mapping on the maps like that god-awful stretch of repeating textures on the ground in those screen-shots.

I would be happy to provide any voice replacements (male only, lol) if you could give me a script for a character's lines, my range is mid-high but I can go low if necessary, just need some direction on how to say things.

@@MusicForThePiano nice work so far! unfortunately you can't change some of the texture mapping on the maps like that god-awful stretch of repeating textures on the ground in those screen-shots.

I would be happy to provide any voice replacements (male only, lol) if you could give me a script for a character's lines, my range is mid-high but I can go low if necessary, just need some direction on how to say things.

Yes that would be great! Thanks! I'm mostly interested in replacing anything with 'mace' with 'luke,' to overwrite that plothole. I will extract the dialogues and upload them so that you can go over them. I am thinking of perhaps overhauling all of the dialogue because it is pretty badly written in some areas. 

Also if I could figure out how to decompile these maps in GTK radiant or whatever good program to use I could change the texture to be more fitting. This whole mod could use a mapping overhaul, just in erasing some of the repetitiveness and the wackiness of some of the levels (like the hangars or areas where you vertically climb parts, it looks less like a SW game and more like a Super Mario 64 level if you know what I mean).

Other than that, it just seems like too much to ask a map modder to help with this project at this time.

Yes that would be great! Thanks! I'm mostly interested in replacing anything with 'mace' with 'luke,' to overwrite that plothole. I will extract the dialogues and upload them so that you can go over them. I am thinking of perhaps overhauling all of the dialogue because it is pretty badly written in some areas. 

Also if I could figure out how to decompile these maps in GTK radiant or whatever good program to use I could change the texture to be more fitting. This whole mod could use a mapping overhaul, just in erasing some of the repetitiveness and the wackiness of some of the levels (like the hangars or areas where you vertically climb parts, it looks less like a SW game and more like a Super Mario 64 level if you know what I mean).

Other than that, it just seems like too much to ask a map modder to help with this project at this time.

great to hear! whenever you're ready, just PM me anything you need. and yeah, the dialogue was definitely the weakest part of a mod. I always want a complete package for a total conversion like that, believable voice-acting, aesthetically pleasing map design etc. on-top of great gameplay.

I've done a lot of decompiling of maps in GTK Radiant to change entities such as spawn points, however, with what you want to do decompiling the map will require all of the texture mapping to be re-done (which might actually be a good thing in this case). I think the lighting may be affected but I could be wrong on that account.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...