JKA starting in weird resolution

Wondering if anyone can help me with a problem I've encountered.  Whenever I start up RPMod (or JKA in general)  my resolution changes, rendering the game unplayable and my desktop pretty much unreachable.  Upon finally quitting the game, my laptop restores itself to it's normal settings.  I've never actually encountered this problem before, so I'm unsure of what to do. The problem isn't that it's going fullscreen rather the screen of my laptop changes it's resolution so I can only see about a 3rd of what's normally displayed.  Any suggestions?  

I've tried:

• Reinstalling.

• Editing the jampconfig's seta fullscreen, seta customheight/width, seta r_mode.

Smoo likes this

On Intel integrated graphics as well as on NVIDIA there's a setting for display scaling. It can be set to downscale or upscale the resolution to fit the screen size but if it is turned off things like you describe can happen. What's your graphics solution on your laptop?

Smoo likes this

On Intel integrated graphics as well as on NVIDIA there's a setting for display scaling. It can be set to downscale or upscale the resolution to fit the screen size but if it is turned off things like you describe can happen. What's your graphics solution on your laptop?

I have NVIDIA, so there might be something there.  How can I get into those settings so it won'd do it?

Hmm I remember that I once had an issue with Elite Force 2 on my laptop. It's also a game based on enhanced id tech 3 (Quake 3) engine just as JKA is. My Laptop resolution was 1366 x 768 but it would only work with a slightly lower one of 1360 x 768. Could you make a photo of your screen and show us your result? It's kind of hard to debug a situation without knowing how it actually looks.

Also did you set the r_custom* stuff to your exact screen specs? The native resolution of your display and r_mode -1? I assume you did judging by your initial post...

You'll have to pardon the crappy mobile picture but this is what I see:

Before JKA:

qAJ8ezA.jpg

During JKA:

Xuh60b4.jpg

If you notice, the cursor for JKA is up, but I can't see the menu bar up top.  As soon as I exit JKA, my resolution restores itself.

I've played around with the r_custom, and seta stuff in my configs and nothing has changed it really.

Looks really odd. Could you by accident have mixed up height and width?

What's your laptops resolution?

r_fullscreen 1?

Do you have any hacks running for borderless apps support?

Maybe the config is write protected and doesn't let you change things? Try with r_fullscreen 0 and a lower resolution like 320x240. Up it in small steps to see if it approaches native resolution and set r_fullscreen 1 if you succeed.

Otherwise I'm out of ideas. Latest driver installed?

Also are you sure you edited the correct cff? If you use mods or different binaries the config might not be in the base or respective mod folder...

Do you modify the custom stuff via config editing or by typing it into console as say "seta r_fullscreen 1"?

I've tried all of this and nothing worked.  Luckily I didn't have much on my laptop and had a free time so I reinstalled my OS.  It fixed a few problems, my issue with JKA one of them.  Thanks for trying to help though!

Smoo likes this

I've tried all of this and nothing worked.  Luckily I didn't have much on my laptop and had a free time so I reinstalled my OS.  It fixed a few problems, my issue with JKA one of them.  Thanks for trying to help though!

must of been buggy drivers or something

Delmi likes this