PR campaign ideas?

Been thinking about this lately and seems like we should probably try to get the ball on this rolling if not at least have a general idea on how to tackle this.

@@Circa now acting as PR person I'd like to see just what we can show off and what we should keep under wraps until ready. Anyone got any ideas on what to show off first? Maybe some nice shots of some of the maps that are ready? Seems like only the Gorc/Pic duel is the only one close to that. We also should probably get some of the models ready to be shown.

@@AshuraDX and @@Psyk0Sith do you guys have some of the stuff to where it can be shown in PBR form using something like sketchfab?

I know Psyk0 has Gorc who probably needs all the maps to be properly baked and Ashura has at least the Bryar and maybe the AT-ST can be shown too?

I know we could probably use another mapper at least or even a modeler so I was thinking showing some stuff off publicly would attract some attention.

Thoughts?

I definitely recommend the stuff you're doing with rend2 or whatever. I saw a video a few weeks ago of what you guys have done and it's pretty epic. That will definitely attract a lot of attention.

I'd be up for creating a little mini website for the project too that maybe shows some cool images and videos and links to certain things like this forum, etc.

That's something I offered to do for OpenJK, which they desperately need to this day.

As far as in-game content goes, we can't really do much until @@AshuraDX finishes those PBR textures for 07yun and the lighting is sorted by @@SomaZ. I don't want to show off anything half finished anymore, it's either done or it's not. What we can do is show off models like the Bryar & Gorc, rendered in marmoset with PBR textures.

As far as in-game content goes, we can't really do much until @@AshuraDX finishes those PBR textures for 07yun and the lighting is sorted by @@SomaZ. I don't want to show off anything half finished anymore, it's either done or it's not. What we can do is show off models like the Bryar & Gorc, rendered in marmoset with PBR textures.

if I'm gonna stay the only texture artist we're gonna need forever to get anything done :P

I'll try to get some Progress this week. I can also upload the bryar to sketchfab or if we find a way to embed Marmoset Viewer files I can provide that.

Sorry, but this is kind of stupid for such a project like ours. We want attention as fast as possible to acquire more texture artists, modelers and mappers. Else we will be still working on the mod in 2020. Imo the gorc/pic map with deluxe mapping and both as opponents will suffice to impress alot of people. One gameplay video of it would be enough. We aren't super AAA publishers and have to show only the best looking things. We are fucking modders. I myself love to get some feedback on things I made from as many strangers as possible.

I'm just saying this, because lighting will take a long time to be finished and we shouldn't waste much time to get attention.

Little list of things we need imo:

- one finished map (gorc & pic would be perfect)

- at least a finished gorc, better pic too

- kyle first person model with ashuras bryar completely animated (as these are all wip)

Alternative map would be maw, because @Ramikad's map looks fucking impressive. (Btw, can I get the source files of it, please :) )

Yun is nice to have and to finish first, but it's kind of boring.

Another thing. Maybe we should make an application sub forum in the public area?

All right fair enough, points made. I'll get working on textures for gorc level, @@AshuraDX can finish up 07yun. I'll also sort out the bryar animations. @@minilogoguy18 how's the gorc animset coming?

Maybe for now, have the bryar on the turntable NPC thing and make a short video to show off?

@@Circa can you please add an Applications section?

SomaZ likes this

I'm pretty much doing the saber swings/transitions and that's it, I also added a couple of force powers that you didn't originally list. He does need the textures baked for PBR though to show him off well, all I have right now is an AO map.

I was slacking a bit lately due to some RL things but I intend to jump back into it since things have mellowed out.

Psyk0Sith, DT85 and SomaZ like this

All right fair enough, points made. I'll get working on textures for gorc level, @@AshuraDX can finish up 07yun. I'll also sort out the bryar animations. @@minilogoguy18 how's the gorc animset coming?

Maybe for now, have the bryar on the turntable NPC thing and make a short video to show off?

@@Circa can you please add an Applications section?

Do that, I'd highly recommend Substance Designer over Painter everyday when it comes to tiling textures.

definitely need to advertise/recruit texture artists on Marmoset & Substance Painter forums.

If you guys are allrihght with me leaving a shoutout at the Substance discord channel let me know.

@@DT85 Maybe you should remove the "If you're skilled" part in the "About: Dark Forces II Mod" thread. This sounds like we're dickhats and that we're very picky. I learned a lot about modding in my time in the TNE modding crew. (Damn I miss these times) I started with nearly no knowledge about baking processes and texturing. This was the time I learned the most, not only because there were many skilled people around me, but because I pushed myself very hard to reach the level of the others. I guess even a person who simply makes simple map object block-outs is very useful. Thoughts on this?

DT85 likes this

Yeah, really just takes someone with the drive to keep up with the rest of the team. I also already mentioned this in a steam chat but ZBrush skills would arguably be more necessary than low poly modeling skills when it comes to character development.

Yeah, really just takes someone with the drive to keep up with the rest of the team. I also already mentioned this in a steam chat but ZBrush skills would arguably be more necessary than low poly modeling skills when it comes to character development.

Well, this applies to character development. What's with all the map objects we need, like chouches and lamps and all the stuff? Just look at level 5 of Dark Forces 2. We need a lot of props to make that map look good. Maybe splitt 3D Artist in two categories. One for props and one for characters. Highpoly modeling and baking is a required skill, but scupling only applies to characters imo. Ok, you can also make props look a lot better with it, but most things that aren't organic can be dealt with normal highpoly modeling.

I just wanted to point out, that the sentence mentioned above is a bit of a turn off.

Edited the About: Dark Forces II Mod & Applications posts with suggestions from the above posts.

@@SomaZ, yeah I miss TNE too. I know I yo-yo'd a bit, but it was good times and I learned alot as well. Before TNE, I didn't know wtf a normal map was. :P

SomaZ likes this

Yeah for non organic objects or hard surface models you can use NURB's meshes and bake down to a lower polymesh model.

Props can also be grouped with weapons and vehicles.

I always found NURB's to be a pain in the ass tbh. I loved my TurboSmooth modifier. (Yea edge loops can be a pain in the ass too)

@@SomaZ, yeah I miss TNE too. I know I yo-yo'd a bit, but it was good times and I learned alot as well. Before TNE, I didn't know wtf a normal map was. :P

I started modding in the crymod forum (that doesn't exist anymore) and learned pretty fast what a normal map is, but never understood or had the drive to learn how to bake them. I didn't even know that you can do this. Always hand painted heightmaps and converted them with a nvidia tool to normal maps.

Ok, @topic

I got the source files for maw and fooled around a bit. This map is a serious challenge to run well on gl2 right now. I get like max 70 fps which is kind of low for the system I'm using. Found a simple workaround for the not working sky portal and faked global illumination with the addition of using the gl2 sun (nice shadows everywhere *_* ). I have a question though. Does a skyportal increase performance noticeably? The transition between the rock formations everything is build on and the sky portal is kind of obvious.

I'd love to see some pictures of the map out in the public. Of course fine tuned for gl2.

Don't forget - BSP has issues with large, open areas. The Maw map needs optimization, which I'm working on. I've managed to fix VIS, and trim down the skybox which means less open space.

I think the skyportal is just for having a 3d skybox vs 2d textures. If I had to wager a guess on which provides better performance, I'd go with just a regular skybox.

• 2 months later...

Aren't the videos posted here from someone on this team?

https://jkhub.org/topic/9589-any-possibility-ja-can-look-like-a-modern-game/

A shiet, they found it. Well, I guess we should start making some stuff public on the forum too. What do you think Circa? Maybe a dev interview with @@DT85 with some pretty pictures? Feels a bit like we all fell in some kind of summer slump.

Edit: We could release the mod-kit afterwards or maybe at the same time?