Original concept Vader

When I played Force Arena last week and got this version of Darth Vader, I was overwhelmed with joy. A truly fantastic rendition of the concept.

On the other hand, I got sad and slightly angry at the same time, because I knew that one day, someone would request it to be ported.

And at this point, a request to any modeler with even the faintest spark of motivation and creativity:

Please, do this model from scratch, even if you use the structure of that model as a reference. Porting it might be easy, but it would be just wrong. Just because it's possible to port something doesn't mean that it has to be made all the time.

Sometimes, we need more people like @@Scerendo or @@Psyk0Sith here.

Torki, Langerd, Omega and 1 other like this

@@Langerd

Exactly. While it's great that there are still many content contributors in this community, it seems that many are not taking challenges anymore. Seeing the development progress of a new character model

is something I really enjoy watching, since the glorious HapSlash times. It's really inspiring.

But sadly, some members want it the easy way and insist to have a model ported, not rarely bumping their topics to remind us how desperate they are. They see something in another game, they want to see it in Jedi Academy

and don't even know that it will look terrible.

@@Torki

Finally someone who requests a model, and even provides a 3D model (which can be used as a reference), without brutally insisting to have it ported. That's great.  :winkthumb:

bob-e, Langerd, Torki and 1 other like this

Since i don't want to annoy anyone posting this on their topics, i do it here.

Force Arena got this new model:

ywJ3NGt.jpg

Any one interested on rigging it?

http://www.mediafire.com/file/z55iza1ov4vdfy2/vader_con.rar

Extracted by episoder of facepunch

Now that looks absolutely great!! You know what would be better is maybe we can somehow make (or find) this second Darth Vader Concept Helmet that looks closer to the final design and place it on that new model! :D

Darth-Vader-Concept-Helmet.jpg

Langerd, Lancelot and Omega like this

Seeing this Vader concept come into Force Arena is pretty damn cool and unexpected. I think we all know this is a no brainer to get this ported into JKA. We all want this one.

A no brainer to make this model for Jedi Academy? Yes. A no brainer to have it ported? Oh, hell no! Where's the fun in that?

swegmaster likes this

I remember reading somewhere someone saying that the Force Arena models were port friendly to JKA because they are easier to do or something. Some people prefer ports, some people prefer made from ground up. Either way, this Vader needs to happen.

It's not about what is port friendly or what is not, it's about the principle. Many modelers invest their time and energy to enrichen the community with their own take on things like characters, weapons and maps.

Porting something only gives credit to the game it is from, not to the one who ported it. But if people create something from scratch, it might take some time, but it will be worth it.

For example, if you look at HapSlash's Anakin, you don't think "Hey, this is from another Star Wars game", you think think "HapSlash made it". In my opinion, this is what this community should be about.

Think about it. If that porting procedure would have been a thing since the Jedi Outcast times, we would have absolutely nobody in this community to be remembered for.

There would be no HapSlash, no Scerendo, no Psyk0sith, no AshuraDX, no DT85 and no Langerd. Instead, there would be just a bunch of people who just port something from other games.

This is not Garry's Mod, this is the Jedi Knight series.

ooeJack likes this

I really hope I didn't offend you, I was just stating the nature of this hub. Me personally, my short story is if I see a character in a video game that I can't have unlimited third person freedom with, I would like to have that character in a game I can do that in with the character looking the exact same as they did in the game they are originally from if I like the way they look. If I don't, then that's where creating from ground up comes into play. Really it's all personal taste in visualization that makes that character appeal to your taste. We all want stuff made and ported, sometimes the best of both worlds where creations are combined with ported content. Like I said, it all depends on how you want that character to look that appeals to your taste. I respect all creations/ports. I like seeing members on here improving their creations, that's what makes their work unique compared to ports. Sometimes we just want ports because we like how that character already looks.

I really hope I didn't offend you, I was just stating the nature of this hub.

Don't worry, you didn't offend me at all. It takes a lot to do so. But I understand your point, and I hope you understand mine.

You know, I'm into this community from about the time Jedi Academy came out. Since then, I've seen a lot of people creating content in any shapes and sizes.

Porting something might be great at a certain degree, but it will never replace all the handcrafted work by our community.