Old news, but needs to be documented: EDP has support for SFX Sabers. SFX Sabers are dramatically higher quality than the base game lightsaber rendering and can be toggled with the cg_sfxSabers cvar.

Available for both JK2 and JKA.

Original Lightsabers:

zDOFaKi.jpg

nwjzUsC.jpg

SFX Sabers:

U20jwiA.jpg

q46vIpD.jpg

Video comparison:

Perhaps this answers your question, @@DT85 ?

Maybe an in-game video might help. I'm not the most observant guy but I don't see a difference.

If I could explain it a bit better, SFX Sabers makes the sabers more so like they were in the movies. A more faithful to the series cvar if you ask me. And I personally love that feature cause JKA needed that in SP FOR A WHILE.

General Howard likes this

If I could explain it a bit better, SFX Sabers makes the sabers more so like they were in the movies. A more faithful to the series cvar if you ask me. And I personally love that feature cause JKA needed that in SP FOR A WHILE.

Does it take away the blur as well?

Does it take away the blur as well?

It doesn't exactly take it away, it makes it different, and active all the time. Basically the core (not the glow) is the only thing that blurs, and it uses a different shader for the trail to make it look like it is blurred. I'm not sure how to describe it easily, but it's very cinematic looking.

Jeff likes this

It doesn't exactly take it away, it makes it different, and active all the time. Basically the core (not the glow) is the only thing that blurs, and it uses a different shader for the trail to make it look like it is blurred. I'm not sure how to describe it easily, but it's very cinematic looking.

This is going in my base folder. Thanks for the info.

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm... @@eezstreet - from the pics & video the effect seems to be incorrect... drawing a straightline linear blur like this (wrong):

LightSaberShot1.jpg

rather than an arc, like these (correct):

SaberScreen.jpg

EP3_ILM_3391.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

...also, the interpolation looks jagged-- as though it needs more steps to smooth it out. And the glow seems a bit excessive... is there a setting to change the amount of "glow"?

Edit: I suppose pure translations by the wielder's hand would generate a linear blur. But rotations should be blurred on an arc.

General Howard and Smoo like this
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey, I saw that video in the first post working in Jedi Outcast and I was just wondering how that was possible? I can get it working in Jedi Academy perfectly using the JKE mod, looks just like the video. Great. But for Jedi Outcast I'm clueless.

I've looked for the required mods and executables for JK2 and so far all I've found was that it was included in Jedi Knight II: Enhanced. (This is the one I've downloaded and am using here: https://jkhub.org/files/file/2877-jedi-knight-ii-enhanced/) However, the SFX Sabers just... aren't working. They look a little better stationary, sure, but in motion the vanilla blur is there. Not to mention there seems to be this bubble of light coming from the tip. I don't have any mods in my base folder whatsoever, I took them all out for troubleshooting this issue.

Here's a video of it in action: https://streamable.com/ijuu7

Would I need to compile a version of OpenJO with the code added in, a version of JK:E but for JO, or am I just missing a few other files? 100% clueless here. Really the end result I'm looking for would just be a way for me to use SFX sabers in Jedi Outcast, no matter whether it's just vanilla or with the other enhanced features. Just something without that blur! Thanks in advance

EDIT: Ok, I think I am a dummy. I have now stumbled upon this: https://github.com/JKEnhanced/OpenJK/tree/master/codeJK2. I just have no idea how to compile this into something I can actually launch (or if it's even any different from what I'm already using, the alpha version of whatever.) If someone could just point me in the right direction I'd be eternally grateful!

EDIT 2: Moved over here: https://jkhub.org/forums/topic/11431-sfx-sabers-in-openjk-and-openjo-help/.

Edited by Furygun81
Made a new thread because I think that makes more sense.