'Playermodel' cvar in Jedi Outcast

With that said, the tutorials are pretty good at explaining it, but you have to be patient with it.

I almost got it. I made the Kyle Stormtrooper model:

https://openload.co/f/Kte_EVU31Zo/z_Kyle_Trooper.pk3

But I have two issues: The first is Kyle's eyes (and mouth? I'm not sure if mouth is part of this problem. I say that cause the texture file is called eyes_mouth, and not only 'eyes'), Kyle's eyes which I can't add to the new model. In the tutorial I followed, he used a Rodian's head, which has no eyes, so I guess this is the problem. There's a step for the eyes that I didn't do it, I guess. I will investigate how to do it (or with your help here).

The other problem is that this new model I made, it seems to work (without eyes, of course) if I check it with ModView. But the problem is that the game doesn't load it, and I get the vanilla Kyle. Why this happens? Is there any specific way to pack the files? I pack it with winrar, and then I just change the file extension from .rar to .pk3.

Edit: I have another question: Inside the Stormtrooper (Haps one) folder there's two sound files: animsounds.cfg and sounds.cfg, but in Kyles folder there's only one sound file, animsounds.cfg.

I want my custom Kyle_trooper to have Kyles sounds, of course, so I added the animsound.cfg from Kyles folder to my mod folder. But what about the sound.cfg file that is inside the stormtrooper folder? Should I add it as well?

Finally I did it :)  I've found the way to select eyes, and I found the way to pack .pk3 files. But now... as was expected... has appeared another issue:

When player is walking erect, it looks good:

5FDyihQ.jpg

But when player is not walking, not. Between the neck and the body there is and empty space:

JOcdEJf.jpg

Well, if I come this 'far', I can solve it xD

I'm at this stage also, even after moving the head down a bit there us still a gap :/... Frustrating

Yeah. I finally fixed with the help of a kind guy, the one who made the video I say in post 25.

If you contact him, he will help you, and show you via TeamViewer if you want, how to fix it.

Yo can contact him via steam (Maui, with a skeleton avatar) or via his videos. I can't reproduce all the steps he did, cause he went really really fast, so I can't help you right now.

But I can upload my already fixed model, if that model is what you want, or if you just want to check how is the fixed model.

Guest Redemption

Its kinda funny, this is where I was at in my mod where I gave up and had a break. You come along with the same problem and now I maybe get back on track for release of version 2.

Aidor likes this
Guest Redemption

Yeah. I finally fixed with the help of a kind guy, the one who made the video I say in post 25.

If you contact him, he will help you, and show you via TeamViewer if you want, how to fix it.

Yo can contact him via steam (Maui, with a skeleton avatar) or via his videos. I can't reproduce all the steps he did, cause he went really really fast, so I can't help you right now.

But I can upload my already fixed model, if that model is what you want, or if you just want to check how is the fixed model.

Yeah, not into getting TeamViewer, so looks like I won't be getting help from Maui. I'll have a look at your fixed model if you don't mind.

Aidor likes this

Finally I finished this Kyle Trooper model. I learned some more steps and I even made a bigger neck. I think it looks a little better. My first mod :P

Vanilla neck:

eXpkuGH.jpg

And with a bigger neck:

eyRQAo4.jpg

And that's all, a Kyle + Haps Stormtrooper.

D2WN1ug.jpg

@Redemtion: Yeah, sure, here you have. And whoever wants to use it, take it, of course.

https://openload.co/f/BhH-dRy-yC8/z_KyleTrooperBigNeck.pk3

Circa, McGroose and Smoo like this
Guest Redemption

Well done pal.

I downloaded your mod and had a look but when I deleted the jaw vertex group from my modded attempt, I got an error that there are unweighted vertex group so it failed :( 

So I edited your model to have a smaller neck; not to fond of the larger neck but that doesn't mean that it is not good. I'm not completely happy with it, but it'll do util I learn to do this myself. Peace out bru

Aidor likes this

Well done pal.

I downloaded your mod and had a look but when I deleted the jaw vertex group from my modded attempt, I got an error that there are unweighted vertex group so it failed :(

So I edited your model to have a smaller neck; not to fond of the larger neck but that doesn't mean that it is not good. I'm not completely happy with it, but it'll do util I learn to do this myself. Peace out bru

I have no idea why you get this error you say. As I said you, later I'll check that early version with this gap issue and I'll tell you if I can fix it mayself.

Of course, if you prefer a smaller neck, that's all up to you ;)

Congrats on your first frankenstein model., my first is a chiss in a jedi body lol

xD. Many thanks!

Would have made more sense to make the neck of the Stormtrooper smaller, rather than Kyle's. But nice work regardless!

ummm, I don't know if I understand what you mean. There was no need to make Stormtrooper necklace smaller or Kyle's neck bigger. Haps Stormtrooper necklace and vanilla Kyle neck was the same size (it just need to join it correctly, but as you can see in the first pic in my post #34, both had the same size and they fit quite well).

I've changed and increased both Haps Stormtrooper necklace and vanilla Kyle neck, because a 'aesthetic' reason, not a 'technical' reason. Vanilla Kyle model is a thin and 'weak' model, and that thin neck, looking to the whole vanilla Kyle model, doesn't look disproportionate.

But the Haps Stormtrooper model is a more robust and let's say 'stronger' model, and that vanilla Kyle neck seemed to me a little thin and disproportionate. I think that now looks better, at least for me ^_^

Can you upload the model to the hub? Simple as it seems, I'm sure many have wanted to have this in JO.

Yeah, sure, I'll do it. It's strange that this model was not made by someone before. In Star Wars, the hero wearing the stormtrooper suit it's a classic, at least for me. Well, now it's already done.

So, you did make it bigger. :P You just contradicted yourself twice. :D

It's possible. Considering that my english knowledge is poor and my modding knowledge is super poor, it's possible :rolleyes:

ups, I've found another issue. Actually, this issue is already in the base JO Haps Stormtrooper model. The first person camera, and only when using the saber, is not in the correct position:

ggcBrja.jpg

INxVMQw.jpg

As I said, this also happens if I use the Haps stormtrooper model without modifying it.

How can I fix this? I've been searching for a while how to edit or change first person camera in JO/JA, but nothing.

The camera is actually in the correct position - take a look at the folder of kyles textures. You have his skin texture with a lower resolution and alpha channel where the top of the body is set to transparent. So the model is actually shown even with the default model, you can check that with r_showtris 1 but the top part is transparent due to this skin... You need to make a transparent skin for the stormtrooper and hope that the UV mapping of the stormtrooper body actually allows for that.

I'll show you an example - I used the modded kyle skin from Dark Forces I think and replaced it with the main skin texture for higher resolution and rebuild the alpha channel to stay intact for the arms:

https://jkhub.org/albums/7z8DI

Aidor likes this

You need to make a transparent skin for the stormtrooper and hope that the UV mapping of the stormtrooper body actually allows for that.

I'll show you an example -...

Ok,thanks. I see now why this issue happens. But right now I don't know how to do all this thing you say (higher resolution, alpha channel, transparent skin, and all this stuff, is the first time I hear about that. As you can see, I came here asking for a cvar and I ended up building my first mod xD).

I'll try to investigate about that and try to understand it a little.

Thanks!

EDIT: of course, I understand what "higher resolution" and "transparent skin" means xD. What I ignore is how to do it exactly.

This is the shader in players.shader

models/players/kyle/kyle_torso_fade
{
    {
        map models/players/kyle/kyle_torso_fade
        blendFunc GL_SRC_ALPHA GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA
    }
}

I can try to help you out but currently I'm a little puzzled how the game actually works with this shader. It's not referenced in the model_default.skin of kyle. I think it's the game itself that makes use of it and your stormtrooper model doesn't have the whole skin in one file but multiple ones. The torso file from kyle includes torso and arms, while this is split up for your frankentrooper... If it is hardcoded it might be an issue but I'm in no position to verify that hypothesis.

Good luck though!
Aidor likes this

So I only know how to create alpha channel sporting textures with photoshop but I think gimp does it as well. Just remember to export as TGA. It basically is 3 channels for RGB and another one for alpha. They are all greyscale images that define the intensity of the colours and the alpha channel defines the transparency.

For the kyle fade one I basically looked at the original file and tried to remake it with the new skin and in higher resolution. That's something you'll find out how to do in less than 30 minutes for the original kyle texture. But for the stormy? Huh :D

Aidor likes this

So... do you guys have any idea about what mjt said? If this issue with the Stormtrooper is not fixable, it will be nice to know it and I'll stop wasting time :winkthumb:

I can try to help you out but currently I'm a little puzzled how the game actually works with this shader. It's not referenced in the model_default.skin of kyle. I think it's the game itself that makes use of it and your stormtrooper model doesn't have the whole skin in one file but multiple ones. The torso file from kyle includes torso and arms, while this is split up for your frankentrooper... If it is hardcoded it might be an issue but I'm in no position to verify that hypothesis.