'Playermodel' cvar in Jedi Outcast

Hi,

I was trying to use this 'playermodel' cvar, that works in JA, but it seems that doesn't work in JO.

Is there any equivalent cvar for JO to use another character in singleplayer? I've been seaching it for a while, but didn't find anything.

Thanks in advance.

playermodel only works in singleplayer if you're in multiplayer you just use /model

Well, I want to use this cvar in JO singleplayer, not multiplayer, but it doesn't work in singleplayer.

If I use it in JO singleplayer console says "unknown command".

I've been a couple of days searching in the net, but nothing..

Doesn't look like there's any. Looking at some larger mods for Jedi Outcast, they achieved that simply replacing the base Kyle model in models/players/kyle/.

Apparently you can only turn into an X-Wing (fly_xwing) or an AT-ST (drive_atst), but nothing more.

Aidor likes this

What model are you attempting to use? For /playermodel to work in SP, there needs to be a .npc file created for that character. If it is one downloaded from the Hub it might not have that.

I'm not trying to use any specific model or character, just testing right now.

Let'say I would like to play SP campaign as Luke, or as a Stormtrooper. In JA I just need to type in console "playermodel stormtrooper model_default model_default model_default", but in JO singleplayer that doesn't work, even there's already a ".npc file" for stormtroopers.

Doesn't look like there's any. Looking at some larger mods for Jedi Outcast, they achieved that simply replacing the base Kyle model in models/players/kyle/.

Apparently you can only turn into an X-Wing (fly_xwing) or an AT-ST (drive_atst), but nothing more.

Yeah, that's what I thought: to create a .pak file to replace Kyle with the model I would like to use in JO singleplayer campaign.

I've looked into some JO SP mods here, which replaces Kyle with another Kyke model (the mercenary outfit, lets say), but I'm not sure if I'm going to can do it myself. A cvar would be better, xD.

Actually, testing a little, I build a pk3 file, with the Haps_stormptrooper model, just renaming the 'stormtrooper' folder to 'kyle', and it works, I play as a stormtrooper in the SP campaign.

But with a weird bug: the model (stormtrooper) doesn't hold in its hands any weapon in third person view. The weapon is located in the leg, like if it's not unsheathed.

Does anybody knows why this happens?

Thanks for the help.

Guest Redemption

I'll tell you why. The model has to be in a specific list in the code or the weapons will dangle from their balls. I've had a break recently from modding the game but check out my mod page - alternative menu for Outcast in the wip section, there are a few YouTube clips showcasing the mods features one of them being a player model cvar.

I'll tell you why. The model has to be in a specific list in the code or the weapons will dangle from their balls. I've had a break recently from modding the game but check out my mod page - alternative menu for Outcast in the wip section, there are a few YouTube clips showcasing the mods features one of them being a player model cvar.

Ok, I see why doesn't work.

I guess you mean this topic:

https://jkhub.org/topic/7942-alternative-menuui-jedi-outcast/page-3

I found in that videos a cvar (kyle_XXXXX). Actually, I was playing with you mod installed, but I guess a borken one, cause I'm using your Redemption mod + JK2:E + old OpenJO build from 2014-12-15 (I want to play SP campaign with joystick, and joystick doesn't work in the last OpenJK/JO builds that use SDL). Redemption's expanded menu doesn't work, and I guess some more features from your mod doesn't work (if not all of them). That cvar (kyle_XXXX), doesn't work.

Well, thanks for the help once more. If it can't be done, can't be done.

You need to also change the texture lines in the .skin files of the folder. Especially since you are using a newer stormtrooper model.

I would say that that exceeds my abilities as a 'modder', but may a check it later. But well, if the weird weapons position can't be fixed, I guess there's no need to lose more time with this.

Thanks!

Guest Redemption

There is no borked version of my mod as you can see that the mod runs fine in the videos. You need to read the installation instructions and the comments in the discussion topic to see that problems occur because of either not following install instructions or having conflicting mods in your gamedata/base folder.

Playermodel cvar is in the next update that I haven't uploaded yet.

Also, use xpadder for console controls.

Aidor likes this

I would say that that exceeds my abilities as a 'modder', but may a check it later. But well, if the weird weapons position can't be fixed, I guess there's no need to lose more time with this.

Thanks!

I've never seen that issue happen before, so it can't be anything that can't be fixed. Changing lines in a skin file is one of the most basic forms of modding for this game. Assuming you won't be able to do it is selling yourself short. :P

I just did it in 30 seconds. It worked fine, no issues like what you're describing.

XR1dehW.jpg

You just need to open up model_default.skin and replace the "stormtrooper" word in each line to say "kyle" instead. A faster way to do this is press Control + F to bring up find & replace, type stormtrooper in the Find box and kyle in the Replace box and hit enter. Save the file in the pk3 and it should work fine.

If you can get this to work, perhaps it will spark an interest in more in-depth modding for you. :)

Aidor likes this

There is no borked version of my mod as you can see that the mod runs fine in the videos. You need to read the installation instructions and the comments in the discussion topic to see that problems occur because of either not following install instructions or having conflicting mods in your gamedata/base folder.

Playermodel cvar is in the next update that I haven't uploaded yet.

Also, use xpadder for console controls.

Sorry, when I said "a broken one", I mean that the 'custom combination' that I'm using (your mod with an old OpenJO build) seems that doesn't work properly. The problem is my combination, not your mod, of course.

About using xpadder, yeah, I've tried it some years ago, but I don't like how it feels.

I've never seen that issue happen before, so it can't be anything that can't be fixed. Changing lines in a skin file is one of the most basic forms of modding for this game. Assuming you won't be able to do it is selling yourself short. :P

I just did it in 30 seconds. It worked fine, no issues like what you're describing.

XR1dehW.jpg

You just need to open up model_default.skin and replace the "stormtrooper" word in each line to say "kyle" instead. A faster way to do this is press Control + F to bring up find & replace, type stormtrooper in the Find box and kyle in the Replace box and hit enter. Save the file in the pk3 and it should work fine.

If you can get this to work, perhaps it will spark an interest in more in-depth modding for you. :)

Ok, many thanks. After reading your mini tutorial, it does not seem as difficult as I thought. I will try it later when I get home, sure, and I'll tell you.

Let's see how short I am xD.

Save the file in the pk3 and it should work fine.

Ok... so I did it, replaced, saved (it was easy and fast, sure), but still doesn't work.

You just edited Haps_Stormtrooper.pk3, isn't?

The weird effect I'm getting is this:

mlMWqF1.jpg

There's no need Circa, thanks, I've just found right now what's causing this issue: the save file I was using. I need to start a new game from the beginning, and now the weapon position is correct.

Problem now is that I can't continue my current playthrough. Maybe there's a way to restart/reset level, or something like that.

Going to test a little more and try to figure out why this happens, because if I switch between others Kyle's skins and models that I have here, this weird effect does not happens.

Well, finally I (almost) solved the issue: I just need to switch between skins/playermodels at the end of a level, and then, when the next level is loaded, the weird effect disappear. It's not a perfect solution, but it's the only way a found to solve it.

And contrary to what I said yesterday, the weird effect appears as well if I switch from stromtrooper playermodel to vanilla Kyle:

dG15uYR.jpg

You was right Circa, now I want to go more in-depth :)

Let's say that now I want to build this playermodel: the stormtrooper body + Kyle head. It would be as easy as it's been switching from Kyle to stormtrooper, where I just need to edit some lines, or to do this there are some more complicated steps?

I guess that doing this will be a little more complicated, because we need to mix 'geometric models' (or however its called) and all this stuff.

Doing that would be much more complicated. The easiest way is to use Blender. Check out our tutorial section of the site for more info.

Ok, thanks Circa, I've checked those tutorials and videos using Blender and yeah, looks more complicated and needs much more time.

Actually, right now I'm happy if I could build a Kyle head+Haps stormtrooper body playermodel.

I found this topic I link below, and using this Kyle stormtrooper (https://openload.co/f/THCBcQO_Y3Q/zz_DS_troopers.rar) that I get from DS Trooper Pack (I get it from Moddb, the download link at Jkhub is dead), but I get the same weird model as Akula (cause I'm using the same mod as he):

http://jkhub.org/topic/6373-kyle-katarn-stormtrooper/?p=94721

As people say in this topic, that's because using a JA mod in JO. But it seems easiest to port a mod from JA to JO than building it form the beginning. Going to see if I can figure out how to do it :

EDIT: Ok, porting that JA Kyle-stormtrooper from DS Trooper Pack to JO isn't an option, cause I see now that this model is based on vanilla stormtrooper, and I would like to mix Kyle's head with Haps stormtrooper. I guess my only option is to build it from the beginning.

What I do is this: when I'm almost at the end of a level, I save. Then I exit JO, go to base folder and change the model I want to use, and then continue my game. Finish that level, and when next level is loaded, the weird effect is gone. That's the only way a found to switch between models in the middle of campaign playthrough (all this when this weird weapon position appears, cause it seems not always and not with every model this issue appears).

"Building it from the beginning" is much easier today with blender than it used to be with other programs. However if you new to modding you might want to familiarize yourself more with more simple modding first.

With that said, the tutorials are pretty good at explaining it, but you have to be patient with it.

Aidor and Smoo like this

"Building it from the beginning" is much easier today with blender than it used to be with other programs. However if you new to modding you might want to familiarize yourself more with more simple modding first.

With that said, the tutorials are pretty good at explaining it, but you have to be patient with it.

Yeah, I've taken a more depth look to those blender videos, and I'm lucky, cause the first one called 'basics' casually explains the way to take the head from one character and put it in another character body, and that is what I intend.

https://youtu.be/e8ML5S9KSa4

Let's see if I can do it...

Edit: I guess all this blender tutorials works for JO as well, even he only talks about JA.

Smoo likes this