Toshiro Mifune was originally offered to play as Obi-Wan Kenobi or Darth Vader

Believe it or not you guys, George Lucas originally casted Japanese actor Toshiro Mifune to play as either Obi-Wan Kenobi or Darth Vader. And to me, that sounds pretty interesting and amazing!! It would be like if he did play as one of those two roles he was offered, Star Wars would've actually felt more like a Tokusatsu Sci-Fi film!! I would love that! But unfortunately he turned down those two roles and his daughter said "I heard from my father that he was offered the role of Obi Wan Kenobi, but he was concerned about how the film would look and that it would cheapen the image of samurai, on which George Lucas had based a lot of the character and fighting style,". And then she said "At the time, sci-fi movies still looked quite cheap as the effects were not advanced and he had a lot of samurai pride. So then, there was talk about him taking the Darth Vader role as his face would be covered, but in the end he turned that down too,". It's kinda sad that Mifune turned down those two roles because of his pride in Samurai films, but I hope for one of you modders can someday make a model of Toshiro Mifune as Obi-Wan Kenobi in the robes or unmasked as Darth Vader. So that way this dream would so come true. :)

tumblr_op3t5tPETA1s7zy0eo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_op3ttvvOrR1s7zy0eo1_1280.jpg

Smoo and TheWhitePhoenix like this

Wouldn't you like to play as a Toshiro Mifune portraying Obi-Wan Kenobi or Darth Vader in Jedi Academy, @?

Hard to say. We're so used to Alec Guinness being Old Ben that seeing another face as Ben would be weird. It would be interesting, yes. But it would also be weird if you stumbled into an alternate world where this was reality and Alec didn't play the part.

z3filus and KyleKatarn1995 like this

Hard to say. We're so used to Alec Guinness being Old Ben that seeing another face as Ben would be weird. It would be interesting, yes. But it would also be weird if you stumbled into an alternate world where this was reality and Alec didn't play the part.

I know what you mean because Alec Guinness played the part as Obi-Wan Kenobi in the Original Trilogy while Ewan McGregor played his role in the Prequel Trilogy. Like get this, if Mifune got the part as Obi-Wan in the OT, imagine what if a Japanese actor around Ewan's age would've played as the Jedi Master in the PT? That would mean like a Kamen Rider actor wielding a lightsaber! :lol:

TheWhitePhoenix likes this