Editing & Adding NEW Music to "MD2 Remastered" Mod **HELP**

This is a request for some modding assistance.. And is mainly directed at any and all coders, mappers and anyone who's worked on designing maps for Single Player.
Myself and @@Tompa9 are working on the "MD2 Remastered" mod, found here:

https://jkhub.org/topic/9062-star-wars-movie-duels-ii-remastered-current-wip/

However, we're currently looking into updating the music tracks that were used in the original mod, as we've come to the decision that there are a number of tracks that aren't very accurate or are out of place and feels very "unpolished" and messy. What we actually need to know, is how to change this music, to our updated versions..
Do the maps have a specific "load/play" line, within them (in GTKRadiant/Blender or whatever program it is) that tells the map or cut-scene to trigger a certain music track? @@Asgarath83 mentioned about using the dms.dat file from the base game for this type of thing. However, the original mod doesn't include or use any "dms.dat" file, but the specified music still plays on the specific cut-scenes or levels that it's attached to. So I was wondering what methods will work, for changing and editing the music into cut-scenes and maps and such..

@@GPChannel @@Asgarath83 @@therfiles
@@ensiform @@RJA @@Fighter @Circa

Can anyone offer assistance with this?
Thanks

As i told...

dms.dat for the dinamic music played during level.

about cutscenes... only an complete analize of decompiled map of JKA can teel you what kind of music are played in cutscenes.

target_music i guess, is the entity to play new music entry inside a cinematic. but rarely is uised. also, changed target music parameter require entity modding skilss because a decompiled map lose all lights and uvmapping stored info so you cannot simply decompile a map, edit entities and rebuild bsp, you get a leaked and broken map.

mainly, you need to analize the specific scripts played with icarus in every cutscene of games and focus about the SET_MUSIC command or something like that. so you need a deep dms.dat, mapping \scripting understand for editate the music, also the new music need to be sampled to mp3 stereo 44100 hertz.

i cannot teach you at moment. as i told thousand time, this year i got really bad problems, and i am pretty near to leave

moddings in general for follow other projects. also, i am already involved to teaching basic rigging to a man.

(and please, now not asking me how to rig character. is the fourth time. argh! >.< )

i

General Howard likes this

There are different way to play music on a map:

1 dms.dat file can add dinamic music for explore \ fight action moment on a level without script or spawnflags.

2: worldspawn entity of many modding maps contains a music entry. in some level of JKA there is a worldspawn music key value

(see hoth2 \ hoth3

3: icarus scripting can change music played in a level or activate \ switch dinamic tracks with SET_MUSIC_STATE command.

by the situation, by scripting execution. if you are nice to make mapping, this is the best easy way for you.

editing a worldspawn music should be hard if you are not good with ent modding ability.

require to convert a bsp to a map and edit worldspawn parm. but .. as i told, you lost all light and uvmapping walls. anbd you get also wall leaks and other bad glitches on a decompiled map. is not a nice way.

sorry, in this time, i cannot give you other assistance.

If you are working into an original your own map or an original map project passed by some author with his permission, or with ent modding, you can use target_music entity with a targetname and a specific music track for activate with icarus specific music tracks with scripting

example there is a target_music with targetname and script_targetname music1 and another with music2.

if you make a script with "use music1" or "use music2" command you can play the different music thrown these entities in the different part of the maps. also that is a good solution.

this way is pretty function for area music (activated by triggers ) or boss music fight.

also for a fight with an enemy troops (example, the spawnscript of one of the enemy can trigger the new music track. and you can place a target_counter that fire the second targetmusic when all enemy of the area are died. (maybe you can do the area locked and an area open only when you defeat all opponent in previous zone)

for add a count value to a target_counter you can set as target the target counter name entity on the enemy that should die with NPC_target key command.

Example NPC_target "counter1" applied on a dozen of stormtrooper, and the counter1 target counter with count set to 12, and linked to the target music.

is little complex, but can do the same job of dms.dat file if you have trouble with it.

This is a request for some modding assistance.. And is mainly directed at any and all coders, mappers and anyone who's worked on designing maps for Single Player.

Myself and @@Tompa9 are working on the "MD2 Remastered" mod, found here:

https://jkhub.org/topic/9062-star-wars-movie-duels-ii-remastered-current-wip/

However, we're currently looking into updating the music tracks that were used in the original mod, as we've come to the decision that there are a number of tracks that aren't very accurate or are out of place and feels very "unpolished" and messy. What we actually need to know, is how to change this music, to our updated versions..

Do the maps have a specific "load/play" line, within them (in GTKRadiant/Blender or whatever program it is) that tells the map or cut-scene to trigger a certain music track? @@Asgarath83 mentioned about using the dms.dat file from the base game for this type of thing. However, the original mod doesn't include or use any "dms.dat" file, but the specified music still plays on the specific cut-scenes or levels that it's attached to. So I was wondering what methods will work, for changing and editing the music into cut-scenes and maps and such..

@@GPChannel @@Asgarath83 @@therfiles

@@ensiform @@RJA @@Fighter @Circa

Can anyone offer assistance with this?

Thanks

Check my last post ;) maybe can help you, if you have entity modding or mapping \ scripting skills, you should be okay also with this method without dms.dat editing.

Hi,

You don't know about it ? Just put a trigger_once in the same area of your cinematic trigger, or anywhere you want your music to change. In the values your enter "target music1" for exemple. You can also edit a NPC to give him the value "NPC_target music1", so when he will die it will do the target.

And you place anywhere (position don't affect anything) a target_play_music, editing it with "targetname music1" and "music music/nameofthemusic.mp3 or wav".

NOTE: A wave file always display a yellow line in the corner of the game everytime it loops, so I recommand, if you use wave, to have in your config files "cl_noprint 1" to avoid stupid yellow lines during the game.

General Howard and Asgarath83 like this

If you are working into an original your own map or an original map project passed by some author with his permission, or with ent modding, you can use target_music entity with a targetname and a specific music track for activate with icarus specific music tracks with scripting

example there is a target_music with targetname and script_targetname music1 and another with music2.

if you make a script with "use music1" or "use music2" command you can play the different music thrown these entities in the different part of the maps. also that is a good solution.

this way is pretty function for area music (activated by triggers ) or boss music fight.

also for a fight with an enemy troops (example, the spawnscript of one of the enemy can trigger the new music track. and you can place a target_counter that fire the second targetmusic when all enemy of the area are died. (maybe you can do the area locked and an area open only when you defeat all opponent in previous zone)

for add a count value to a target_counter you can set as target the target counter name entity on the enemy that should die with NPC_target key command.

Example NPC_target "counter1" applied on a dozen of stormtrooper, and the counter1 target counter with count set to 12, and linked to the target music.

is little complex, but can do the same job of dms.dat file if you have trouble with it.

Well, we don't need to worry about permissions.. As the original author of the mod is nowhere around and there's no way to contact him. So this is off our own backs. But we're using and updating the content already in the mod. As you will see, if you read through the WiP, I posted above.

:winkthumb: 

Hi,

You don't know about it ? Just put a trigger_once in the same area of your cinematic trigger, or anywhere you want your music to change. In the values your enter "target music1" for exemple. You can also edit a NPC to give him the value "NPC_target music1", so when he will die it will do the target.

And you place anywhere (position don't affect anything) a target_play_music, editing it with "targetname music1" and "music music/nameofthemusic.mp3 or wav".

NOTE: A wave file always display a yellow line in the corner of the game everytime it loops, so I recommand, if you use wave, to have in your config files "cl_noprint 1" to avoid stupid yellow lines during the game.

cl_noprint is not recommended! It prevents output from cvar printing to find values, command output etc as well.  Fix the file so that it doesn't have the issue is probably best bet.