Kalligs lightsaber

@@Psyk0Sith not necesarilly. I might do it, it looks interesting enough. By the looks of it, 3Ds max should tell me it's around 800 verts, which then in turn in GLM numbers says it's 1600-2000 verts after the export. But needless to say, most things are gonna be baked onto the textures of course.

If you keep the wiring close to the body and 4 sided, you could fake most of it on the surface of the hilt (baking / or manually texturing wires) and only have geometry come out where needed...all that detail is pretty much lost since its hidden by the hand and small screen size. It's a fun design tho.

If you keep the wiring close to the body and 4 sided, you could fake most of it on the surface of the hilt (baking / or manually texturing wires) and only have geometry come out where needed...all that detail is pretty much lost since its hidden by the hand and small screen size. It's a fun design tho.

Yep something like that was my plan, keeping geometry only where needed. It is looking cool enough to get me interested in doing it and i've sworn that i won't be taking up requests for some time. One look at this and i almost changed my mind, gotta see how i come through with time.

Peprykus and Psyk0Sith like this
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yep something like that was my plan, keeping geometry only where needed. It is looking cool enough to get me interested in doing it and i've sworn that i won't be taking up requests for some time. One look at this and i almost changed my mind, gotta see how i come through with time.

Soo what you say ? Cool enoguht to pick up on it ?

@ShenLong Kazama Well, I can't really convert models, but I can contribute by making a new texture - no offence if you made it, of course, but here's the new one compared to the old one.

The one I made isn't that good, but IMO it's better than the old one, once again, no offence if you made it :)

The original texture is actually good as it is. In fact, it's the best version of the two, because it has everything needed for a basic texture.

If you really want to improve a model, I suggest using a specular map (which is used to add reflections and details to a texture). That way, you can add details while keeping the original texture intact.

I don't know how to do that, but I'm pretty sure somebody could help you with that.

ShenLong Kazama likes this

@ShenLong Kazama I resized it, blurred it, bump mapped it and gave it some detail. No idea on how it would look on the model, though.

@Lancelot It would probably need a bump mapping shader.

models/weapons2/Kallig_Lightsaber/Kallig_Lightsaber
{
q3map_nolightmap
{
map models/weapons2/Kallig_Lightsaber/Kallig_Lightsaber
rgbGen lightingDiffuse
}
{
map models/weapons2/Kalligs_Lightsaber/Kallig_spec
blendFunc GL_SRC_ALPHA GL_ONE
rgbGen identity
alphaGen lightingSpecular
}
}

But then, it would probably need to be properly bump mapped in Gimp with lighting effects. It would also need a file called Kallig_spec that has less brightness and more contrast. I usually go (-30 Brightness) and (+30 Contrast) :)

There's a bump mapping tutorial, too.

I resized it, blurred it, bump mapped it and gave it some detail. No idea on how it would look on the model, though.

That sounds as if you have randomly applied several effects on a texture. As long as you don't have an idea how it will look on a model, don't do it all at once.

But I think it's better that you keep the original texture, without any resizing or anything, and only concentrate on the bump map.

ShenLong Kazama likes this

I know lightsaber hilts have a tendency to be uncomfortable, but this one? How do you even grip it when there's this weird "wing" coming out of it... I wish Lucas and then everyone else thought this through better.

Psyk0Sith likes this

I know lightsaber hilts have a tendency to be uncomfortable, but this one? How do you even grip it when there's this weird "wing" coming out of it... I wish Lucas and then everyone else thought this through better.

Huh, oddly enough I never really thought about that too much. Now that I think about it, that WOULD be very uncomfortable. Just a bit of a design flaw, but hey - as long as it looks cool, right?  :rolleyes: