WARNING: ProjectSurfaceLightmap: Choose a 0 valued axis

Go to solution Solved by MagSul,

So, I opened in GTKRadiant for the first time in goodness knows how long so that I could crack on with Yavin IV. Before starting, I decided to compile the map to refresh my memory of where I was up to, then this came up:

cv03SLO.jpg

Naturally, I searched for the error with Google:

You have some degenerate patches, probably from capping a cone or sphere mesh.
Ungroup all your patchmesh func_group entities, and select all the patches you can and hide them, then hide all patches (Ctrl+P), select all, then hide that geometry, then unhide patches (Ctrl+P again) and then select all to pick up the degenerate (dot or line) patch meshes so you can delete them.
Chose a 0 valued axis
This error occurs when you try to cap a cone. The problem is that the top of the cone gets a 0*0 cap. Remove the top cap of that cone. 
This is caused by a degenerate surface that has no area in at least 2 dimensions, such as a triangle or patch that's been snapped to a line or a point. Check your lightmapped models and map's patches for these. If you compile from GtkRadiant with BSP monitoring enabled, then Q3Map2 will instruct Radiant to select the offending patches.

I'm looking for help. I've attempted following the instructions at the top and combed through the map trying to sort this out to no avail. The map still compiles eventually and aesthetically, looks the same as ever, but it takes a really long time about it now. Is there anyone here who has encountered this problem before? What did you do to fix it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

I tried your suggestion, Langerd. The problem persisted, so I downloaded 1.6 and set that up. I used the brush clean up tool; that fixed a few things but not my particular problem. I have since solved it however!

My disc drive had stopped working, so I moved radiant and everything to my Steam directory instead. When I installed 1.6 as mentioned earlier, I'd set it up to my disc JA. From what, I realised my disc copy JA directory had something my Steam one did not. I copied my shaders folder from Base (disc) to Base (steam). Since then, I haven't had the issue.

The problem was external, no wonder I couldn't find a problem in the map!  ^_^

• 2 months later...

So I've got this problem in my most recent map and I've been trying to dig the reason behind it without much success, until now. 

I was using the yavin/light texture in my map and realized the problem was related to the shader. The following line seems to create this issue:

q3map_flare gfx/misc/flare

When I removed this line, the warning was gone. The sad thing is that it gives a nice flare effect, so I wonder if anyone else has any idea why the flare effect creates this warning.

AngelModder likes this

So I've got this problem in my most recent map and I've been trying to dig the reason behind it without much success, until now. 

I was using the yavin/light texture in my map and realized the problem was related to the shader. The following line seems to create this issue:

q3map_flare gfx/misc/flare

When I removed this line, the warning was gone. The sad thing is that it gives a nice flare effect, so I wonder if anyone else has any idea why the flare effect creates this warning.

Yes was it on a patch, silly enough I've had this flooding by compile output for a while now but couldn't really track it's source. Atleast if it's a shader and patch combination that narrows my search...

Yes was it on a patch, silly enough I've had this flooding by compile output for a while now but couldn't really track it's source. Atleast if it's a shader and patch combination that narrows my search...

I found out that was completely irrelevant.  Tried it in a patch and on a normal brush, and the problem is in both compiles. Even in the simplest room (4 walls, one floor, one roof and a light square brush with the texture) would have this warning. I'm 100% the issue is in the way the shaders are written and completely unrelated to brushes. 

AngelModder likes this

I found out that was completely irrelevant.  Tried it in a patch and on a normal brush, and the problem is in both compiles. Even in the simplest room (4 walls, one floor, one roof and a light square brush with the texture) would have this warning. I'm 100% the issue is in the way the shaders are written and completely unrelated to brushes. 

Cool, atleast now I know which direction to look. Hmmm started about the time I started using some 'Cairn' textures. :D Thanks Noodle!

Noodle likes this