DICE's Battlefront II

If I had to guess, they won't care about canon for anything but the game's main story. Just like in the original BFII, which had the Mos Eisley map with heroes from all eras killing each other. 

Gameplay is never canonical in video games, only the cutscenes and the general story are.

Noodle likes this

@@Alvar007 that's definitely re-assuring to hear, thanks! also glad that you feel the same frustration I did at the first system.

I had no idea from watching the footage that there was some kind of stamina system and that makes me happy to hear there's not just going to be infinite spam-fests. I guess I only have two more questions in regard of the sabering:

1. what was it like to perform aerial attacks? in the first game they were pretty damn clunky (surprise, surprise) where you would perform one preset animation and then get kind of stuck in your trajectory.

2. what was saber vs. saber like? I've only seen one bit of footage in this regard but it looked like a huge spam-fest of who could click the fastest. was hoping for a more tactical approach like dodging out of the way and a more natural blocking system.

1. When you use an ability in the air you won't get stuck like before, but to be honest you don't use this too much to attack since the abilities were mostly to be played on the ground (at least with the heroes in the alpha). I used force jump more like an escape form.

2. That's basically what you said. I didn't try to block though, since whenever I came across a saber fight either the enemy caught me by surprise or viceversa and I nearly had time to react. Besides, in this build Maul can't block and they haven't decided yet if that's gonna be his final state.

DarthDementous likes this

Oh look another cash grab,Disney style!

Seriously,does anyone still play this cheap/watered down version of the infinitely more superior first two Battlefront games? 

Battlefront 2015 - When Battlefield meets Star Wars.

The same applies to the upcoming Battlefront 2.

Sorry for this rather coarse post,but it's just my honest opinion.

Oh look another cash grab,Disney style!

Seriously,does anyone still play this cheap/watered down version of the infinitely more superior first two Battlefront games? 

Battlefront 2015 - When Battlefield meets Star Wars.

The same applies to the upcoming Battlefront 2.

Sorry for this rather coarse post,but it's just my honest opinion.

any commercial game is technically a cash-grab, doesn't mean there can't be producer satisfaction AND consumer satisfaction.

one of the big issues with Battlefront 2015 is that DICE purposefully wanted to distance it from Battlefield and the game suffered mechanically as a result. the other huge issue is that while I personally find the core gameplay of EA's game pretty fun there just isn't enough content or proper progression to justify continued play.

Battlefront 2's touted new features seem to remedy this, and from what we've seen the core gameplay looks to be improved. there's mention of better progression for heroes, infantry and star-ships but most of that remains to be seen. also the '3x bigger' remark is vague at best, but we can at least tell from the marketing that DICE is aware of what went wrong in the first game, and that can only be positive.

your opinion may be honest, but it's not very well informed.

Teancum likes this

any commercial game is technically a cash-grab, doesn't mean there can't be producer satisfaction AND consumer satisfaction.

one of the big issues with Battlefront 2015 is that DICE purposefully wanted to distance it from Battlefield and the game suffered mechanically as a result. the other huge issue is that while I personally find the core gameplay of EA's game pretty fun there just isn't enough content or proper progression to justify continued play.

Battlefront 2's touted new features seem to remedy this, and from what we've seen the core gameplay looks to be improved. there's mention of better progression for heroes, infantry and star-ships but most of that remains to be seen. also the '3x bigger' remark is vague at best, but we can at least tell from the marketing that DICE is aware of what went wrong in the first game, and that can only be positive.

your opinion may be honest, but it's not very well informed.

I can respect your opinion,but I have to disagree with the "purposefully wanted to distance it from Battlefield" part. They didn't! They wanted a cheap Battlefield turned Battlefront,and they delivered it. Disney basically extended a huge middle finger to the fans by vaporizing the EU and creating an insulting game to the legacy of the first two Battlefront games. How does anyone take Disney seriously these days is beyond me.  No more Jedi Knight,no more Revan and the Old Republic,no more Kyle Katarn...  This is sacrilege.

Also,many of these "new" features were already present in the older Battlefront 2.

I can respect your opinion,but I have to disagree with the "purposefully wanted to distance it from Battlefield" part. They didn't! They wanted a cheap Battlefield turned Battlefront,and they delivered it. Disney basically extended a huge middle finger to the fans by vaporizing the EU and creating an insulting game to the legacy of the first two Battlefront games. How does anyone take Disney seriously these days is beyond me.  No more Jedi Knight,no more Revan and the Old Republic,no more Kyle Katarn...  This is sacrilege.

Also,many of these "new" features were already present in the older Battlefront 2.

May I ask you what are the gameplay elements that make you think of it as a "Battlefield clone"? I agree with Dementous, one of the biggest issues is how they tried to add several characteristics (such as the lack of classes and the star cards) to make it look original when compared to other EA FPS games. The new one looks promising, but I'm still skeptical about the campaign. I'll wait for a price drop and some reviews before buying it.

EDIT: It would also appear that, according to the developers, Battlefront II won't have many customization options for the classes on launch. Honestly, that's great news to me, it will keep it more realistic to the movies. The helmet-less troopers on the first one kinda broke the atmosphere.

May I ask you what are the gameplay elements that make you think of it as a "Battlefield clone"? I agree with Dementous, one of the biggest issues is how they tried to add several characteristics (such as the lack of classes and the star cards) to make it look original when compared to other EA FPS games. The new one looks promising, but I'm still skeptical about the campaign. I'll wait for a price drop and some reviews before buying it.

EDIT: It would also appear that, according to the developers, Battlefront II won't have many customization options for the classes on launch. Honestly, that's great news to me, it will keep it more realistic to the movies. The helmet-less troopers on the first one kinda broke the atmosphere.

It just "feels" like a Battlefield turned Battlefront,you know. Those gameplay elements are far more similar to Battlefield than the older Battlefront games. From the way your character moves around the map,to the absolute pointless,artificial starfighter battles(Battlefront 2 had SPACE battles,by the way). Some features were included just to be there,and to think how overly hyped the game was and now the same with Battlefront 2 at the E3. Pathetic.  

Loads of DLCs and patches instead of a full,functional and well designed game,these people treat their fans like shit,let's be honest here. 

It just "feels" like a Battlefield turned Battlefront,you know. Those gameplay elements are far more similar to Battlefield than the older Battlefront games. From the way your character moves around the map,to the absolute pointless,artificial starfighter battles(Battlefront 2 had SPACE battles,by the way). Some features were included just to be there,and to think how overly hyped the game was and now the same with Battlefront 2 at the E3. Pathetic.  

Loads of DLCs and patches instead of a full,functional and well designed game,these people treat their fans like shit,let's be honest here. 

I don't understand what you mean with "the way the character moves around the map", it doesn't seem to be any different to any other shooter to me. If by "artificial starfighter battles" you mean the lock-on, I didn't like it either, but that doesn't have anything to do with Battlefield.

that's a real shame. I thought they were touting how there'd be so much more customization than before? does this mean that its going to be on the same level as EA Battlefront where it's boiled down to a few skins? was hoping for some kind of separate accessories/armor paint option at least.

@@Necrolifer I don't understand the sentiment that you and others I've seen in this community share that actually doing something new with Star Wars instead of continuing stories from the EU, that for the most part, have already reached their conclusion, is a bad thing. if anything, that need to constantly reference old parts of the Star Wars legacy is whats putting me off from the new films. the only time I've seen a successful re-integration of something from the EU is Thrawn in Rebels, but that's most likely because Timothy Zahn had creative input and David Filoni has a lot of respect for that character and story.

it may not be a popular decision but there was really no way to go about it if Disney wanted to expand the Star Wars universe and not be beholden to a miriad of stories that have a great variation in quality. in addition, because the original creative team of some of your favourite parts of the EU would most likely no longer be available, any sort of re-integration is most likely doomed to disappoint and be a shadow of its former self. for example, I can't see Kreia coming back in her nuanced and compelling glory unless Chris Avellone was directly responsible.

Noodle and GLTh3Pr0 like this

that's a real shame. I thought they were touting how there'd be so much more customization than before? does this mean that its going to be on the same level as EA Battlefront where it's boiled down to a few skins? was hoping for some kind of separate accessories/armor paint option at least.

@@Necrolifer I don't understand the sentiment that you and others I've seen in this community share that actually doing something new with Star Wars instead of continuing stories from the EU, that for the most part, have already reached their conclusion, is a bad thing. if anything, that need to constantly reference old parts of the Star Wars legacy is whats putting me off from the new films. the only time I've seen a successful re-integration of something from the EU is Thrawn in Rebels, but that's most likely because Timothy Zahn had creative input and David Filoni has a lot of respect for that character and story.

it may not be a popular decision but there was really no way to go about it if Disney wanted to expand the Star Wars universe and not be beholden to a miriad of stories that have a great variation in quality. in addition, because the original creative team of some of your favourite parts of the EU would most likely no longer be available, any sort of re-integration is most likely doomed to disappoint and be a shadow of its former self. for example, I can't see Kreia coming back in her nuanced and compelling glory unless Chris Avellone was directly responsible.

Some customization would be good, but I personally can't think about anything but skins for the separatist, imperial and first order classes if they wanna keep it "lore-friendly". Hopefully we might see something more for the other factions.

I totally agree with you about the EU. What some people tend to forget is that Pablo Hidalgo confirmed some time ago that in Lucas' plans for the sequel trilogy he was not going to consider the old EU at all, it would have been a "fresh start" like Disney's. Also, if a story is classified as Legends it doesn't mean that it's dead and non canonical, as proven by the fact that a pretty good part of KOTOR (the mandalorian wars, the sith wars, the Rakata empire..) is already canon by simply being referenced in the new content.

I agree,  it's not good to dwell on the past like an obsessed fan and see every new thing as some sort of heresy. The only thing I want is the introduction of more competent people, I feel as of right now only Dave Filoni really gets Star Wars, and it may be in part because he was trained by George Lucas himself. 

There are too many people involved that don't really care about creating things, but just want to do things to satisfy people's complaints and to adapt to the new political climate. I'm sure nobody cares that the new main character in BFII is a woman, but it's tiresome to hear people in the press and PR patting themselves in the back because a character is female or a so called 'people of color'. It's the main reason why books written by Chuck Wendig were so shit and why Catalyst and Thrawn were so good. I don't mind politics in Star Wars, but there are ways to do them and then there's just trying to appeal to populist causes. 

I agree,  it's not good to dwell on the past like an obsessed fan and see every new thing as some sort of heresy. The only thing I want is the introduction of more competent people, I feel as of right now only Dave Filoni really gets Star Wars, and it may be in part because he was trained by George Lucas himself. 

There are too many people involved that don't really care about creating things, but just want to do things to satisfy people's complaints and to adapt to the new political climate. I'm sure nobody cares that the new main character in BFII is a woman, but it's tiresome to hear people in the press and PR patting themselves in the back because a character is female or a so called 'people of color'. It's the main reason why books written by Chuck Wendig were so shit and why Catalyst and Thrawn were so good. I don't mind politics in Star Wars, but there are ways to do them and then there's just trying to appeal to populist causes. 

yeah, I generally have faith in the writers, instead of the PR department who knows how to spin things to please a very vocal minority. its impossible to leave out politics in someone's creation because their own mindset influences how the movie is made, but when it becomes an ideological statement it very often compromises the quality of the writing. take the trend of writing the strong woman character. people don't care that she's made out to be competent, people care if she's flat and has very little vulnerability or compelling characteristics that betray weakness as well as strength. the narrative that some people push that women are perfect is just disingenuous and doesn't make for entertaining products.

I think that battlefront 2 will be pretty good but I will wait until it is out, I am wary of pay to win. Hero progression will be interesting. I really hope Nien Numb and Greedo are not in this as well as bossk being less op if he is. It would be awesome to have bounty hunters as a neutral faction, seeing as they are.

I will like this game sure of it, but the special ops characters seem to be adding another pointless type of supertrooper, that apparently missed the memo and let the generator be blown up, despite being supaaaaaaa. keep new characters to new stories please ea, seeing as this is now going to be canon.

@@Noodle be careful where you point out the political stuff, it can very easily derail the thread. I agree with you on your points tho.

More leaks, but watch out for campaign spoilers.

http://starwars.wikia.com/d/p/3059094931680265806

"Venator bridge" sounds like a fun map, and I'm glad to see that the TX130 is finally canon. It would also appear that each faction will have at least 3 different starfighter models, each one with a different role (for example, the CIS has the Vulture droid, Hyena bomber and Tri-Fighter, the rebel alliance has the X-Wing, Y-Wing and A-Wing, and so on).

• 2 months later...

Lol I thought you snuck into one of mine! I would of added you proper but it was pretty late and I didnt want to wake my gf up. I remember you stomped pretty good.

Wait, so we just happened to play the same lobby? I know the playerbase on Xbox was pretty low now but wow. Aren't we on the opposite side of the planet? xD

And yeah, those were some pretty good matches, if I recall. :P

Got to level 100 on the first game a couple weeks ago. :D Posting here because I completely lost the old thread.

mWDZzab.png

Anyone else get to max level or plan to before the sequel releases?

got to level 100 months ago too. I have over a million credits. @@Circa  Yeah It must be pretty low and I always join the east or west coast servers. The connections terrible but there is always players on those. Americans play different to Aussies. Beta is tomorrow yeah? 

Tomorrow for you, yes! Those that preordered get to start on Wednesday, the rest of the world get to start on Friday.

Thought this I'd share another 2 clips of footage that they released, just recently.. In case any of you haven't seen them, already.

I'm gonna kick so much ass with Kylo Ren!

and

This gives a little more insight into the campaign that people might not be aware of.. Operation Cinder. Time to familiarise yourself with it.

Circa likes this

This game feels like how SWBF should have been. Although I'm seriously tired of DICE's field experiments and their year long funded-by-the-people beta stage for all their Battlefield games, I really want to play this one. But, I'm going to wait review, patches and a price drop. Honestly, people rush to play a game that is unpolished and badly balanced. By the time DICE gets to fix most of the issues, most of the user base already got bored and abandoned it. At least that's what happens on PC. Betas should be open and last months, not days.