Vehicle Skinning Help

Go to solution Solved by Daedra,

Been a bit since I reached out to you guys, but I've been trying to get a custom vehicle skin to appear in game (it works fine in modview). The skin is for the falconvm released some time ago and I'd appreciate any help you can provide.

Surely you just replace the texture files (make sure they are the same size and same file name and file type) and it should be fine?

Surely you just replace the texture files (make sure they are the same size and same file name and file type) and it should be fine?

Thing is, I want it to exist side by side with the main falcon textures, thus "producing two YT-1300s with different paint jobs". There are other vehicle skins that do that such as the Jedi Interceptor vehicle mod. However, that is one method if you want it to be stand alone and replace other skins in the game. 

Thing is, I want it to exist side by side with the main falcon textures, thus "producing two YT-1300s with different paint jobs". There are other vehicle skins that do that such as the Jedi Interceptor vehicle mod. However, that is one method if you want it to be stand alone and replace other skins in the game. 

In that case you would need to create a "skin" file. The way you could do that is find out what the regular textures are mapped to on the model, and then add this into a skin file and then change the texture name accordingly. You could always use a different vehicles .skin file as a template to help.

TheWhitePhoenix likes this

In that case you would need to create a "skin" file. The way you could do that is find out what the regular textures are mapped to on the model, and then add this into a skin file and then change the texture name accordingly. You could always use a different vehicles .skin file as a template to help.

I did that, and like I said. In Modview it shows up fine, but in game, no matter what I do, it shows up as the default skin for the Falcon. :( I modified the veh file and everything, even added the skin part via notepad and no luck. 

I did that, and like I said. In Modview it shows up fine, but in game, no matter what I do, it shows up as the default skin for the Falcon. :( I modified the veh file and everything, even added the skin part via notepad and no luck. 

Ah, I see. Do you have a falconvm_vehicle.npc file? If so you may want to duplicate the code add the customSkin code into the duplicated code, with a different name.

Ah, I see. Do you have a falconvm_vehicle.npc file? If so you may want to duplicate the code add the customSkin code into the duplicated code, with a different name.

Well, this is a bit unexpected. I had the PK3 file of the original falconvm in my base folder alongside the skin. It seems that was needed to do was make a seperate file in the playermodel file and all while removing the PK3, since it acted as a sort of "override". I experimented by putting what I wanted "ebon falcon" alongside a normal falcon model, which I named falcon, along with the npc and veh files. Success! However, the thing is now the Ebon Falcon isn't showing the pods and the engine is see through, but I'm sure a shader file will fix that right up. ^_^

• Solution

Here is the code:

falconvm_vehicle
{
    playerTeam    TEAM_NEUTRAL
    enemyTeam    TEAM_NEUTRAL
    class        CLASS_VEHICLE
    width            300
    height        60
    health        5000
}

Put that into a text document and save it as falconvm_vehicle.npc put it in the same folder as the regular falconvm.npc file. Make sure you add customSkin to it.

Edit: That's good I'm glad it's resolved, and yes, a small shader should solve that.

Here is the code:

falconvm_vehicle
{
    playerTeam    TEAM_NEUTRAL
    enemyTeam    TEAM_NEUTRAL
    class        CLASS_VEHICLE
    width            300
    height        60
    health        5000
}

Put that into a text document and save it as falconvm_vehicle.npc put it in the same folder as the regular falconvm.npc file. Make sure you add customSkin to it.

Edit: That's good I'm glad it's resolved, and yes, a small shader should solve that.

Always appreciate the help, @. ^_^ And yeah, nobody would want this.

https://puu.sh/veWGi/f124e822a1.jpg

Or...this. XD

http://puu.sh/veWPe/387c1486b2.jpg

Daedra likes this