Strange brightness monitor issue with JKA and web speed trouble

Hello, i ever played Jedi Academy niceful on my old windows XP SP3.

i have an ati radeon as video card and 3giga of ram at moment with a pentium 4 cpu.

however...

i ever noticed that when i launch the game monitor become ever strangely brightness with ati radeon driver (never happened with old geforce video carder and relative drivers )

but when i was shut down JKA monitor return opaque and okay.

before i get an LG monitor. now myu old monitor is burned so i have an acer (little more bright of the older )

however, recently i upgraded to windows 7 and when i tryied JKA after with open jk i get a very fastidious problem: the monitor brightness was permanently, also after shutted down game (inside JKA is all okay as graphic etc), so starting JKA and closing up my monitor become very bright and i get also headache for excessive light.

so art the end i format seven and downgrade to XP again.

now ... i get the same issue however.

after a formkatting and reistalliung of system,. video card, chipset etc monitor tuirn back opaque and relaxing.

after i tryed JKA again brightness -.-

so i played JO yesterday for make a try. after i esc from JO monitor return more opaque, but however a lot brightness too.

today i uninstall JKA, remove all Openjk dll and exe (just to be sure i not do something of stupid on my mode, the last thing i have done was to removing absorb aura shield for some classes... )

reinstall, patch to 1.01 and also with original exe and dll of jka... brightness damned issue.

>.< now i not know how to fix that. my monitor frequenze is everokay to 60 hertz, but the first time happened that on 7 windows 7 switch monitor frequenze to 75 hertz (for me is very painful... after i see i fix up again to 60 ).

however now i get again this issue. if i start JA or JO i get this brightness trouble. the brightness issue seems to vanish after an half hour or after a reboot , but not ever... i am very worried about that.

Another strangest thing is after i updated on windows 7 my internect connection  (with a dlink modem, a LAN connection) full down by 1 mega \ sec of download speed of 70 kbs ...

after turning down to XP, connection never fixed also if i reistall router drivers or update that.

really i not know how to fix these 2 problems and is 1 month i am crazy abouyt that... i think i will send my pc to repair in some Pc shop after easter ... >.<

never happened to someone the brightness trouble with JO\ JKA game on windows 7?

someone now also how to fix the fall down of the web connection?

thanks for any suggest and answer.

Yes it's a cvar in the console.

Ah... well i not know how to show the exactly value with consolle command but on video setting i put gamma always on 20% of gamma bar... ah, that's interessing. if i minimize the game brightness goes full to desktop and pc monitor and game return opaque and pretty dark until i hit with mouse the gamma bar. when i do the game read the r_gamma value and change is r_gamma. what i not understand is why damn gamma game affect in same way the gamma of monitor my pc and how can i fix that?. .-.

i notice also that at moment i am not using openjk or my mod build. it's a in issue caused also by original game exe \ dll O.o and never happened so tedious before putted Win 7... maybe there is some trouble with ati driver of video card of win 7?

but now i am turning back on xp and problem still persist also after formatting... that thing is really hard to understand for me. i cannot formatting pc for that every kind i try game or mod and also, with this issue is not possible more to coding or modding .-.

No, this is not something you can change. But it should be resetting to normal value once the game is closed normally. If you have an unexpected crash or just alt tabbing out of the game, then it will be stuck until you launch game or use some other external tool that does the​ same thing as the game does.

No, this is not something you can change. But it should be resetting to normal value once the game is closed normally. If you have an unexpected crash or just alt tabbing out of the game, then it will be stuck until you launch game or use some other external tool that does the​ same thing as the game does.

strange after i put win 7 driver video card gamma is stuck never happened before, with original jasp \ jamp or with openjk or with my mod code i never get this trouble before now.

Bbut this can explain many thing. thanks ensiform. mmm that's is a bad trouble... how can i fix it? there is some place inside the code i need to watch maybe for do some manually fix with custom exe dll of mod seems the autocorrection of gamma when i leave game is broken now... but happened also with original jasp \ jamp exe. i am very stunned by that. and also my eyes @.@ .

Have you never used the console before ever in the 14 years that JKA has been out?

Open console by pressing the key to left of the 1 on keyboard.  Type r_gamma press enter. It displays the current value.

----

As for web speed issues, I would power cycle the Modem and Router. (Unplug off both if you have both, then wait 30s, plug in modem, wait for it to have internet connection, plug router back in, let it get the connection to modem and your pc)

Otherwise without knowing what you use its hard to say what is issue. Simply upgrading to Windows 7 will not make your internet slower, there is other factors that are likely instead.

Have you never used the console before ever in the 14 years that JKA has been out?

Open console by pressing the key to left of the 1 on keyboard.  Type r_gamma press enter. It displays the current value.

----

As for web speed issues, I would power cycle the Modem and Router. (Unplug off both if you have both, then wait 30s, plug in modem, wait for it to have internet connection, plug router back in, let it get the connection to modem and your pc)

Otherwise without knowing what you use its hard to say what is issue. Simply upgrading to Windows 7 will not make your internet slower, there is other factors that are likely instead.

sorry for late and for silly questions.

i never used r_gamma command in consolle, because i not knew there was. sorry.

yes, sure is not WIn 7 in past already used this OS 3 years ago when i get dual boot with C: with XP and E: partition of HD with win 7. never get this fall of connection before... pity also shut down and restart router off \ on (router are integrated with modem, they are a uique device in my case) not change anything.

about web connection this strange thing act in that way:

1 C: with XP system, connection LAN with 1 mb download, all okay.

2: format c and upgrade os to win 7, connection fall down to 30 kb \ sec. disabling autotuning with prompt dos following some web guide and connection boost up to... 60 kb \ sec (75 if i am lucky )

- upgrade driver of my atheros LAN device not produce any change.

fun fact: also if have SLOW connecion, my father take web connection with a wi-fi device on his computer (so my router allow web connection for him and for me. when i was on win 7 connection was slow for me, for him, with wifi, slow too, because depending of my signal. BUT, if he connect directly modem\router to his computer, connection is fast and normal as should be.

so is a problem of some setting of my computer.

recently also my father format c: and upgrade win 7 to his pc. also in his computer connection slow down. (with wi fi, and also directly no difference.)

at moment we have turn back to windows xp together downgrading our pc, but connections are agains with low download cache.

i think after easter i will send my pc to tech assistance for fix the problem.

now i try to fix the gamma issue.

mmm, seems better. thanks ensiform. :) setted r_value 1 to JO and JA console. on JO value was 0.7. on JA was already to 1.

sfor moment seems work.

@@ensiform

ok i did a lot of check on my mod configuration, fixing r_gamma on default JA exe seems to fix the trouble of monitor.

about my mod, i remember there are somethings that will executed by files. old configuration very oldest, because i build my mod assets using as example escape of yavin 4 mod of looong time ago on filefront community away LOL.

so i get some all setting by EY4 configurations of files.

on batch file of my mod there is that:

openjk_sp.x86 +set sv_pure 0 +set fs_game Nosgoth +exec nocrash.cfg %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

i have not idea of what does the % fields on batch process. and my first question is about their function.

mod also have an autoexec.cfg and a nocrash.cfg that i used with old example by an oldest melee mod that replace JA sabers with melee weapons (learn that was a nice inizial stage for my project)

the autoexec.cfg get this commandlines:

exec nocrash.cfg

seta g_debugmelee 1

the nocrash istead get this setting:

r_overbrightbits 0

r_dynamicglow 0

cg_g2marks 1

cg_saberEntMarks "1"

and so... this is what i understood:

the nocrash.cfg is exec 2 time on mod startup! one by autoexec and one by batch file, i not thing is a good thing.

g_debugmelee : this simply unlock melee fighting and wp_melee on the mod. nothing bad.

r_overbrightbits: i am not sure about function of this cvar, but i am afraid that do some trouble with gamma setup. i remember that overbrightbits on melee mod get things too brightness in past. maybe is better if i delete this .

r_dynamicglow: this should turn off the dinamyc glow effect , so effects are more soft and more less glowing and brightness on mod... that is setted for protect players' eyes, basically (starting mod automatically switch off this thing)

cg_g2marks : i suppose activate the marks of burntrace when a saber hit an opponent.

cg2_saberentmaks: mmm if i remember, that allow to a melee sword that hit an enemy of cast on impact blood marks on the sword model. so sword is full of enemy blood. more realisrtic and gore for melee weapons.

so my question is: what of these things i need to delete or are unuseful for my mod? there is some of this paramater and setting of cfg and batch files that can accidently affect brightness in someway?

Pure doesn't exist in SP FYI.

Using a config file to enforce rendering settings is a poor choice in my opinion. Most people's computers can handle dynamic glow these days and turning it off is simple and in the menus. I would avoid touching anything related to over bright bits. Leave as defaults unless you know what you are doing.

There is no blood or Gore in jk2 or jka. Some effect mods add it but it's just an efx file afaik.

Why do you have things in the configuration for for your mod that you have no idea why they are there in the first place. The % stuff is allowing people to add their own parameters when launching the batch file with it seems up to 9 extra parameters.

Batch: okay at this point i think i remove all autoconfig and cfg garbage and just set openjk_sp.x86 for exe the nosgoth folder and and no other change. no overbright etc. the motivation i get these parameters is because this is old. VERY OLD. is of 2006 of some mod of filefront (melee mod and ey4 that get these autoconfig) these paramaters in some way allows the old exe engine to get more sabers in game without crash or looping freeze load menu issue... but that was before openjk. now i not need mod these things and i see they get only damage and graphical issue. the gore blood effect at the end can be added with g2weaponmarkshader and g2markshader command into SAB file and with effected casting decal on the fisic impact of blood drops on walls. so not need that more. :)

ethernet... so maybe i need to buy a new modem \ router. yes my actual modem is very old... ten years old. maybe the win7 config set some strange setting inside d-link  parameters.